• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guilty Pleasures – Even Great Chefs Have 'Em – What's Yours?

bpearis

Taco Bell’s “Grilled Stuft! Steak Burrito with extra cheese and Baja sauce.

actually, I like the beef and potato burrito from Taco Bells "value" menu......

Fried potatoes and beef with a surprising good tasting chroizo filling.

"We do not stop playing because we grow old,

we grow old because we stop playing"

What about retro foods like squirrl stew and fried rabbit?  I grew up hunting and eating them in the Midwest.

Captain Hongo

My uncle is an avid hunter, and makes the absolute best deep fried rabbit and venison bits. Unfortunately I rarely get to eat these as he lives out in IL and the closest I have come to hunting was shooting targets with a .22 at boy scout camp.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

That Dorito Salad sounds similar to my MIL's "Taco Salad" except her's had bottled thousand island dressing. I went through college on antacids. :blink:

Candy Corn--brach's is the best

fried okra--my husband gives me a hard time about eating this. I fix him another vegetable and I don't give him any. Sometimes he eats it anyway, which is just a waste of good okra! I don't give him a hard time about his "pickled weiners"....well, maybe I do. but they're weird! I do make them for him.

Crispy poultry skin. So its got a little fat. Its the best part! At least I'm in the company of people that understand.

Peeps

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

Combine all ingredients, pull down your shades and enjoy while reading about all the fancy food people are making on EGullet!  Best eaten with a big wooden spoon in the same bowl you stirred it up in.  Enjoy and you did not get this recipe from me!  Oh, the shame!

That sounds really good in a trashy way. I assume you use Nacho Cheese Doritos, or do you vary the flavor for different taste experiences?

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Aha, common denominator here for you, TJHarris: saltiness and items which others view as true un-health foods?  :rolleyes:

Not really, the first three are the tastiest things that you can find at 2:30 a.m. after pushing the last club members out of the clubhouse. The last is a once a year treat.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

Regular Kraft Macaroni & Cheese with a teaspoon of butter and garlic salt and pepper.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

- Casseroles that contain Cream of Mushroom soup.

- Mother's circus-animal cookies (the pink and white ones with the colored sprinkles)

- A family holiday brunch dish known as "Spam'n'Eggs": White sauce cheesed up with melted velveeta and a pinch of dry mustard, enhanced with cubes of Spam and hard-bolied eggs quartered lengthwise, all served over toast... for what is essentially white-trash Welsh rarebit. Nowadays we still eat it, but with ham and cheddar. It's still embarassing enough.

- Mostly-drained Top Ramen seasoned with half a packet of the flavor-powder, with frozen corn added. In the absence of Top Ramen, egg noodles with butter will do in a pinch.

- Cold leftovers as breakfast. (Today's selection: lasagne)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Sardines.

Smoked kippers.

Smoked oysters.

Anchovy pizza (homemade ONLY, though).

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Absolutely the most embarrassing: Chinese buffet restaurants. I love them. I grew up on them, and they are associated with childhood and happy occasions. But, in mitigation of my crime, please consider that I only frequent good Chinese buffet restaurants -- there are good and bad ones, you know!

Other embarrassments:

Fritos stirred into my chili, or just Fritos with cheddar cheese melted on top.

Seafood salad made with surimi (fake crab) and loads of sweetened mayonnaise.

Spam sandwiches with American cheese and pickled jalapeno peppers. Excellent with a big cup of coffee for breakfast.

Forgot to add, I like Slim Jims and pork rinds too. Not that I'd admit that to any of my friends for fear they run off in horror :wacko:.

Edited by TotallyNutz (log)

K F C !

I can't belive that I am the only one with a addictation to this. I just have to have it every once an a while. I swear that they put something in it just to make you come back. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I can't help my self, all that salty, crispy skin.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

Cheers

Larry

"My gastronomic perspicacity knows no satiety." - Homer

All you people who love oysters, sardines, anchovies, crispy skin, Taco Bell, slim jims...

i love all those things, and would never give you a hard time! Let's hang out together!

But that spam n' eggs thing, well, i started to get sick reading it! :blink: (Imagine him green)

The thing my friends give me a hard time about? Cocoa Krispies.

Maybe it's just childhood memories, (or those college 2 am munchies :shock: ).

I have tried to get my KIDS to eat them, but they only gag!

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

Two Oscar Meyer All Meat weiners cut in half (legth-wise), microwaved for 5 seconds (just to make them warm), served on white bread with Miracle Whip, lettuce, and crunched up Ruffles, washed down with a cold glass of milk.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

But that spam n' eggs thing,  well,  i started to get sick reading it! :blink: (Imagine him green)

In my defense, I described this dish to a group of eG at dinner last night -- as an illustration of my cuisine-hostile upbringing -- one friend asked for the recipe and a second invited himself over for brunch. :raz:

I forgot to add earlier on:

- Macaroni salad, the sweet, mayo-laden kind from the supermarket deli.

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Love oysters, anchovies etc, but don't get slack from my friends about it.

BUT I DO hear about my 'gross' vegemite fetish: traditionally served on thickly-buttered toast, just a scraping of it; and most people still think it's foul.

I love it smeared on the crusts of my bread and will even eat it with a spoon straight from the jar!

It's so salty, and almost 'meaty' in a way (although Promite and Marmite are far more like that). Vegemite on toast with a banana sliced over it.

Hey! don't knock it 'til you ty it!

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.