• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guilty Pleasures – Even Great Chefs Have 'Em – What's Yours?

bpearis

Fingers were the original utensils.

No. Mouths were. Fingers rare in nature.

Not for humans! Mercifully, we're not discussing the guilty pleasures of other species :raz:

I personally have a weakenss for this stuff: http://www.royalunibrew.com/Default.aspx?ID=196&PageNum=3 I can drink this by the litre, and feel that this should be something I'd be expected to be ashamed of, but can't actually seem to be.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 1 month later...

I've gone up about 5 kilos in weight over the last year, and the simple reason is that my local food pusher have a permanent campaign selling Berliners, you know the deep fried buns that's filled with jam and rolled in sugar, 3 for the price of 2. I am not able walk pass them. They are so soft and puffy and fat and sweet and delicious I salivate the second I enter the store and smell them. Bloody hell.

• Like 1

After a week-long trip to a friend's cabin (where there's no electricity or running water) and where we existed on easy-to-prepare foods, I found I REALLY like spray cheese!!!! Yes! The Kraft stuff. The bacon and cheddar flavor served on Ritz crackers.

• Like 1

I don't think any food should be thought of as a *guilty* pleasure. Just my personal view. Whatever it is, it is just something that one enjoys for whatever reason at that moment on that day or whatever time period one may hanker for said food. Everything in moderation would be nice, of course. Ketchup? It's a fine condiment. I enjoy it when I want it on my food or when I use it in cooking a dish - I don't feel any guilt about it. (In fact, I sometimes use it as a preferred savory component of certain cooked dishes - the particular taste of the ketchup is part of the likable (to me) character of the dish. Of course, some ketchups are better than others, with Heinz being my preferred one.) Instant ramen in those crinkly packs or in those styrofoam cups? They're fine. Campbell's Condensed Chicken Noodle soup, the one where you dilute it with a can of water - it's perfect for when I feel like it. For myself I try not to consider that there are foods, whether mass-produced or artisanal, that I am not supposed to eat just because it's not what a Foodie is supposed to eat or that is supposed to be completely unhealthy for me etc etc. Everything in moderation, no? Again, just my opinion, for my personal situation, and clearly other folks feel differently.

There's a NYT article that I've quoted here on the forum elsewhere - about chefs looking for some of their favorite stuff in Aisle xx in the supermarket. (forgive me for quoting it here again - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/04/dining/top-chefs-say-that-sometimes-only-supermarket-brands-will-do.html?pagewanted=all&_r=2&) Wylie Dufresne said, in that piece, that “It’s actually a fuller life to try all that stuff. I would rather not be pious about things.”

Peace.

:-)

Edited by huiray (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Chili cheese coney with onion and mustard from Sonic.

Unadulterated ramen packs. The cheap ones.

Mint chocolate chip ice cream for brekkie.

Little Debbie Swiss cake rolls. Eat all the chocolate coating off, unroll, lick the cream, eat the cake.

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

• 7 years later...

My latest is a glass or two of something bubbly in the mid-afternoon.

It makes me feel somewhat elegant despite my at-home attire of (equivalent) sweats.  At my age you have to take your thrills where you can.

It started one day when my card playing friends came over and I asked if they'd help me hoist my new F. Flumlein steam oven onto the kitchen counter.  I promised them a Mimosa and it was a big hit.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 7

If I was to go out and actually purchase Velveeta, which I haven't done for forty or so years, I would feel guilty. But if someone served me tortilla chips with melted Velveeta hot from the oven topped with a pickled jalapeño I would eat it without guilt. After all, I didn't do it.

Eating beef makes me feel guilty. I do it a couple times a year.

• Like 4

Frito's Scoops  --  by brand , and a freshly opened bag

Guacamole as a dip , a bit spicy. 

Clam dip , home made.  ( canned clams , cream cheese , garlic ---   24 hour aged )

enough NaCL for weeks right there 1

• Like 4

Herrs ripple chip with a big squirt of aerosol cheese and a dollop of sriracha.

This started as a way to get chemo into Tucker the Airedale. I'd take one without the drug and feed him one with.

And Ina Gartens sun dried tomato dip.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, lindag said:

My latest is a glass or two of something bubbly in the mid-afternoon.

It makes me feel somewhat elegant despite my at-home attire of (equivalent) sweats.  At my age you have to take your thrills where you can.

It started one day when my card playing friends came over and I asked if they'd help me hoist my new F. Flumlein steam oven onto the kitchen counter.  I promised them a Mimosa and it was a big hit.

I confess I've never experienced a Mimosa.  In my younger years I used to attend the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival in New York.  One generous family always shared pancakes and Mimosas with all the nearby campsites.  Sadly I'm not much for alcohol when the sun is up and dew is on the pasture.  And I never indulged at Falcon Ridge.  Falcon Ridge possessed its own high.

I wish I could still get myself to Falcon Ridge, even though the festival location has now changed.  Some of the happiest moments of my life.  Every festival I would keep a journal.  Some bizarre stuff there.  And lots of peanut butter.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

52 minutes ago, weinoo said:

For some reason, I have no guilt about anything I eat. Maybe about other things...

Little guilt about what I eat; much guilt about how much of it I eat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 4/24/2021 at 12:36 PM, Anna N said:

Little guilt about what I eat; much guilt about how much of it I eat. 

That seems to be the problem for me as well... that and a metabolism that adds a couple pounds if I stand too close to a celery stick.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 years later...

I'm admitting that my latest guilty pleasure is the  Mimosa.

It started with the errant bottle of prosecco found in the liquor cabinet and then knowing there weas orange juice in the fridge.  So refreshing.

Edited by lindag
typo (log)
  • Like 6

For more guilty pleasures check out this topic

23 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

My guilty pleasure is... Cheez Whiz AND peanut butter on toast. Yes, together.

Should Cheez Whiz enter my house, I will surely try this! Sounds better than those little vending machine packets of cheese crackers with peanut butter!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1