• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guilty Pleasures – Even Great Chefs Have 'Em – What's Yours?

bpearis

Chef Boy-R-Dee ( made famous in the movie Ratatouille ) beef ravioli. I do add freshly grated parmesan and mozzarella. and fresh herbs. the cheese does come from Trader Joes, not italy. I use strict 'price control' when stocking up: it has to be < 88 cents a can. 77 cents is better tasting.

some how that sauce reminds me of growing up. and the red slime in the ravioli is delicious.

I use the Microwave. :biggrin:

Generic brand microwave kettlecorn dusted with red pepper flakes and ebi furikake. It has just the right blend of sweet/salty and has just enough of the fake seeming fat to allow adherence of the flavorings. The bowl however has this nasty feel when washing up akin to the spray oil coatings like Pam.

Kraft mac+cheese (the original, blue box). It's a blast from my childhood and I will eat the whole thing in one sitting. No doctoring or upgraded add-ins, just milk and butter.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I'm with BeeZee - Kraft mac&cheese, blue box only. It's always for lunch when no one else is around so obviously I feel embarrassed. However, I only eat about 2/3. My dog gets the rest. She likes it as much as I do.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I'll cop to craving Sonic tater tots.

When I lived where Sonic's exist, a jalapeno cheeseburger, tater tots and a peanut butter shake were not at all rare for me... but I didn't feel the least bit guilty about it. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Carbohydrates.

I think we need to argue endlessly about putting ketchup on a hot dog.

*bows his head in shame*

I know ...

My son does it, too. Disgusting. :) Sausage on a bun needs mustard. If you add sweet relish that's better. And if you add sauerkraut on top of that, that is even better.

I don't consider that a guilty pleasure, tho. That's food. Now, old fashioned Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup plopped in a pan with a can of water (was that Rotuts?) -- that's a guilty pleasure. With buttered toast to dunk in.

Kraft dinner with cut up schneiders red hots wieners.. the hot dogs need to be cooked along with the pasta , so that it picks up the smokey, salty hotdoggie flavour .

Also homemade KFC style fried chicken complete with lots of salt and msg in the coating. I don`t feel much guilt as I don't make either more than once or twice a year.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Kraft dinner with cut up schneiders red hots wieners.. the hot dogs need to be cooked along with the pasta , so that it picks up the smokey, salty hotdoggie flavour .

This. Except I've never cooked the hot dogs with the pasta, what an interesting idea!

I nominate, Ashen, as the winner.

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Mac and cheese mixed with "loose meat" style ground beef cooked with Rotel's

My version of this is white cheddar mac & cheese, mixed with taco-seasoned ground beef. Use sour cream instead of butter when making the mac & cheese. And does anyone mix the milk & powder together to make a "sauce" before putting it in the macaroni? No lumps that way.

And does anyone mix the milk & powder together to make a "sauce" before putting it in the macaroni?

Nope. I usually skipped (I haven't made Kraft mac & cheese in a while) the milk altogether. Just added a little extra butter (okay, margarine) instead. Just in case it was too healthy their way I guess.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Ramen noodles minus the seasoning packet topped with mushroom Ragu spaghetti sauce.

Used to eat that in my studio apartment after college classes.

Don't hate me. I still eat it once in a while. Alone.

They weren't guilty pleasures in college, they were survival rations. :laugh: I used to cook and drain the ramen noodles, scramble the seasoning packet into a couple eggs and stir fry the eggs and noodles together.