• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guilty Pleasures – Even Great Chefs Have 'Em – What's Yours?

bpearis

I am like some of the others, I just refuse to be guilty about food. There is too much else out there to feel bad about I think. But if I have to pick one, it would be anything mac and cheese. Blue box kind, homemade, gourmet, it don't matter. I want the mac and cheese.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Never been a great chef, but a long time ago in the town of Parsippany NJ I was an above average short order cook. My guilty pleasure, especially in the summer, was a quart of cold milk quickly downed in the walk-in.

Holly,

Years ago a dear friend of mine kept a glass glass in the reach in. After the worst of service, when she felt herself flagging, she would grab the glass roll it on her neck and top of her chest then chug a glass of ice cold buttermilk we kept for her.

I have learned not to think about food in human terms so I do not fear or feel guilty about it. The latest thing I have been doing is taking a teaspoon of vinegar every day. The stronger the better - malt, jerez, balsamic.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I am like some of the others, I just refuse to be guilty about food. There is too much else out there to feel bad about I think. But if I have to pick one, it would be anything mac and cheese. Blue box kind, homemade, gourmet, it don't matter. I want the mac and cheese.

Mac and Cheese here, too. And the restaurant where I work makes some of the best. Works for me.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also not really guilty about any particular foods I like and I really have no qualms admitting that I like things that are a bit disgusting to other people, like scrapple.

My true guilty pleasure, something that I am honestly embarrased about, is my love of burnt bits, what I affectionately call the "burnies." You know, the little bits of burnt cheese on an overcooked pizza or casserole, or the black bits of burnt bacon, or onions that have crossed the Rubicon from carmelized to blackened. I'm coming out of the closet as a "burnie" lover -- I know I'm not alone!

I agree that scrapple is disgusting. Friends from Delaware once brought it to a Dog Weekend and that's who ate it, under the table. Don't tell my friends, please. Square and grey is not food.

But I love the 'burnies'. French Fry crispies are the best.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I can agree with so many of these. Growing up a little poor made for some pretty cheap comfort food. My first dog was actually named Skippy.

I've gotten a lot of flak on here for liking American cheese on my burgers/sandwiches but I'll go to the grave with a slice in my mouth!

Wonderkids bread, plenty of mayo, cheap turkey and american cheese is a staple in my diet.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

I still love wonderbread! I good classic white loaf of bread is a beautiful thing!

Sometimes nothing else will do...

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Peanut butter and ham? Oh yeah, love that on rice cakes of all things!

Instant ramen, "fish" sausage (Japanese/Korean snack), pork floss out of the jar, salt & vinegar chip sandwich, crusty bread with butter & sugar....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I have big problems walking past a sausage van. I just can't hold myself. I simply LOVE a good hot dog, preferably a nice long and warm wiener that cracks when you bite through it and fills your gob with it's nice juice. On top I want two stripes of sweet mustard, not too strong but it gotta have a little sting, and one stripe of ketchup, and off course a spoonfull of chopped fresh onions. Yum.

What is your guilty food pleasure?

Really the only garbage I eat is Doritos. I don't do fast food, soda or processed foods with the exception of Doritos. I have them in the house for my daughter but, end up eating way more than I should. Recently, she has gotten into almonds and nori sheets so, it's been about a month with no Doritos. I may have to buy myself a bag one of these days.

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK