• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guilty Pleasures – Even Great Chefs Have 'Em – What's Yours?

bpearis

A whole package of pork cracklings dipped in vinegar

A whole package of bacon, fried to a crisp

Cutting away the fat around my hubby's steak and eating it.

Cutting away the fat from my son's pan-roasted crispy pork belly and eating it.

I could go on and on but I can actually feel my blood pressure go up.

You know you're Filipino when.... :biggrin:

I love all those things, but you forgot fried chicken skins!

I might have written about this once before, but when I was a child (3rd grade or younger) and we had garlic pepper spareribs for dinner, I would scrape out all the good stuff from the bottom of the pan (along with some of the oil), and eat it with rice.

And I wonder why my triglycerides and cholesterol are high...

Almost perfect. Two things missing: the garlic and chilies in the vinegar, and the mountain of rice to go along with the crispy-fried package of bacon!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Almost perfect. Two things missing: the garlic and chilies in the vinegar, and the mountain of rice to go along with the crispy-fried package of bacon!

You guys caught me... :raz:

I almost forgot...

Eating a slab of lechon (roasted whole pig) skin with almost an inch fat stuck to it... :wub:

a bowl of crispy fried chicken skin...

scooping up rendered fat/oil from a pan where you fried bacon or pork belly and drizzling over rice.... heaven!

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Someone already mentioned macaroni and cheese with Spam. We ate that a lot growing up poor, but something about the boxed mac n' cheese I just find wonderful. I haven't indulged in that meal in a while though.

And Boo Berry... best.cereal.ever.

I feel like a slacker and not fit to post in this thread because all I did for lunch today was take one of those 8 oz Brie miniwheels and put it in between a couple of slices of rosemary ciabatta and eat the whole damned thing. Washed it down with a couple of ESBs too.

Now when I sneeze or cough, my fingertips tingle. Is that bad?

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

boiled chicken skin, heavy on the salt. When I was younger that was the only way my mother knew how to cook chicken. And to this day I cannot resist boiled chicken skin w/ salt.

Spam and mac and cheese was a staple in my house growing up too. I crave it from time to time.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Wasa crispbreads, any flavor, sprayed with fake butter crap (either in the spritzer or from an aerosol can), then topped with Spike seasoning salt.

*munch, munch*

Oh, but you should heat them! I sprinkle Kavli crispbreads-- the very thin ones-- with seasoning mixes from the Spice House and put them in the microwave for 30 seconds. I don't use the fake butter but the seasoning mixes seem to have some kind of cheese base. Takes me back to the days when my mother used to butter Ry Krisp and run them under the boiler.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

In today's Times, there's an article about "local sourcing" - a bit tongue in cheek, I do believe.

Now - who doesn't have a guilty pleasure? Even Wylie, per said article...

Years ago, while working for the chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten at the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas, he would fold a slice in half and spoon in a smear of steak tartare. “American cheese is the perfect soft taco,” Mr. Dufresne said.

has one. A pretty damn good one, I'd say.

What's your's?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Does eating Nutella straight (well, I use a spoon) from the jar count? Or is that more 'Hall of Shame' material?

That's Hall of Shame!

Skippy Super Chunky in a bologna (baloney) roll-up. Mortadella (no pistachios!) is even better but pretty high-end.

Yeah, this one's gross!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm certainly not a great chef but my guilty pleasure is Ramen noodles. For me they are the perfect any time snack.

I'm no chef either, but I have a guilty pleasure of Mild Curry flavour Supernoodles lovingly served between two slices of bread.

In fact now that I think of it, most of my guilty pleasures involve carbs in bread.

My psychopathy scale on the MMPI is relatively high, which reflects, in part, my tendency to not feel guilty about much of anything at all. And the behaviors I would indeed feel guilty about are either felonious or highly immoral, so I generally try to avoid them. That said, my (minimally) guilty pleasure is canned tuna (formerly Bumble Bee, now Kirkland) eaten straight with just a generous squeeze of lemon. (And sorry, weinoo, but a teaspoon or so--after all, we're humans and are capable of restraint from time to time--of Nutella straight out of the jar is way too good to be a guilt- or shame-inducer. In fact, it's often saved me from eating a way more caloric after-dinner treat. A spoonful of Nutella is satisfying; a spoonful of Häagen-Dazs doesn't quite make it.)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

i know I shouldn't, but a big bag of fries from Five Guys is a great snack. A small tip. If you want to make sure your fries are fresh from the fryer, ask for them salt free they will make a batch just for you.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I'm another one of the high-scoring MMPI psychopathology testers, and like Mmmfood I tend not to feel guilty about much of anything. Particularly food! I just don't see the why of it - I have to eat, so I might as well enjoy myself while doing so, yes?

Then again, I'm the kind of person who will gleefully suck peanut butter straight out of the squeeze-pack; I'm not adverse to a spoonfull of Nutella or similar chocolate-nut-butters. I'm also partial to starch sandwiches, particularly spanish rice on sourdough. Perhaps, though, my worst offence (if you want to call it that) is raw cookie dough.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Never been a great chef, but a long time ago in the town of Parsippany NJ I was an above average short order cook. My guilty pleasure, especially in the summer, was a quart of cold milk quickly downed in the walk-in.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I have a weakness for the convenience store frozen burrito. I'm not proud of my guilty pleasure and I'm even less proud that I've ate enough to know by name which ones I'll eat and which I won't... but there it is. If it redeems me any, myself and those around me usually suffer a penance when I indulge my guilty pleasure.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Adding to the starch sandwich madness, I have to mention my personal favourite, pita stuffed with falafel and chips (fries/pommes frites, that is, not crisps). No dressing, no leaves, just the starch, the whole starch, and nothing but the starch. But I can't say I feel guilty about eating this, or any other food, as such (and I'm capable of feeling guilty about virtually anything, including binning a decrepit oven mitt that has seen long service).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org