• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guilty Pleasures – Even Great Chefs Have 'Em – What's Yours?

bpearis

boiled pig ear with cubes of fried tofu, seasoned with garlic, onion, soy sauce, vinegar and a little sugar. yummmmmmmehhhhhhh!!!!!

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

boiled pig ear with cubes of fried tofu, seasoned with garlic, onion, soy sauce, vinegar and a little sugar. yummmmmmmehhhhhhh!!!!!

Wow. Now I don't feel so bad about my pickled pig feet post upthread! :blink:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I really like the new Cheddar-Jack flavor of Cheeze-ITs.

http://www.kelloggs.com/cheez_it

Frankly I'm a huge fan of processed cheese anything, including Easy Cheese, PortWineCheeseFood, and Cheese-filled Combos. Particulary the Pizza flavor.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Wow. Now I don't feel so bad about my pickled pig feet post upthread! :blink:

its all good Diva... it's all about the pig!!!

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

Frankly I'm a huge fan of processed cheese anything, including Easy Cheese, PortWineCheeseFood, and Cheese-filled Combos. Particulary the Pizza flavor.

What the HELL is up with Combos?! I literally gag every time I try to eat them... but just the first one. I get over it and chow down. The texture of that filling is just vile... but the faux pizza flavor is a thing of beauty.

What the HELL is up with Combos?! I literally gag every time I try to eat them... but just the first one. I get over it and chow down. The texture of that filling is just vile... but the faux pizza flavor is a thing of beauty.

Pretzel, faux cheese, a ton of sodium, not to mention preservatives...what's not to like?

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the processed cheese stuff too. But I still can't bring myself to eat a cheesesteak wit the wiz. Go figure.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I still drink pickle brine, and I'm 42...

So do I! And its a delish ingredient in my summery borsht which is mostly cold cooked beetroot, pickle juice (and a little pickle, too) and creme fraiche. mmmmmm.

Marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

When I'm alone I will slice a steak and eat it with some salt and balsamic vinegar. Raw.

that is one classy snack!

x marlena

I'm really embarrassed that I shared this here, so thanks! My exhusband once found me eating a raw steak, and he thought it was disgusting and terrible. I think it must be gross and socially deadly to really like raw meat, and here I've gone and told the world, via eGullet. Twice in the past week, too! :shock: Maybe I need to be bitten or something. For penance.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

My favorite sandwich involves garlic bread, filled with egg mayonaise, cheese and sausages in between the layers. Yes, you read that right. 4 slices of bread and 3 fillings. I eat 2 of them at a go, sometimes substituting the egg mayonaise for a scrambled egg.

milady~

You absolutely MUST post a picture of this !

:blink:

I've been seriously contemplating making a pork belly dish. I feel my arteries close whenever I think about it.

Also, I have been making a lot of nougat recently, which I should not be eating.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I've been seriously contemplating making a pork belly dish.  I feel my arteries close whenever I think about it.

Also, I have been making a lot of nougat recently, which I should not be eating.

This may sound stupid but I don't really know what pork belly is........... :unsure: I love all things pork, tho, so I'm game !

I've been seriously contemplating making a pork belly dish.  I feel my arteries close whenever I think about it.

This may sound stupid but I don't really know what pork belly is........... :unsure: I love all things pork, tho, so I'm game !

Pork belly is what a slab of bacon would be if you didn't salt or smoke it. As pork belly, it is usually braised and has a texture unlike any pork you've ever had (if done correctly it literally melts in your mouth. It has become more common at some of the better Italian restaurants in NYC. Basically it's like making bacon your main course.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Cheetos!

I'm eating the entire 99 cent bag I just picked up when I bought gas.   And I'll be having Reeses PB Cups for dessert! :smile:

SB (wiping the cheese powder off the keyboard and mouse) :wink:

Baked, not fried--the really airy, puffy variety, of course, right? :wink:

Here in Philly we go Cheetos one better:

Herr's Hot Cheese Curls

These have a nice little afterburn. The more you eat, the stronger it gets.

Oh, the Herrs Hot Cheese Curls, I can eat a WHOLE bag of those and not blink :shock: (so I try not to buy them !!) Better than Red Hot Cheetos, although those are still good.

Herrs Jalapeno Chips are really good, the heat sneaks up the back of the your throat after the first couple..very good.

Gibbles Red Hot chips used to be my favorite, but I can't find them anymore.

I am addicted to potato chips, I try not to buy them. Once I stop eating them I can't stop.

A few other things I know I shouldn't be eating......(but I do anyway !)

Ramen (beef is best), cooked, drain the water, toss with butter, sauce packet & Crystal .

Peanut butter mixed with chocolate chips.

Peanut butter & bacon sandwiches on toast.

Grilled cheese cooked with mayo, not butter.

Too much Thai food.

Beef jerky & the occasional Tabasco Slim Jim.

Jamaican beef patties (7-11 or frozen version from the grocery store).

Saltine toffee - so good, but oh so bad for you....

Fried chicken skin, crispy roasted chicken skin.

The list goes on & on...I don't make a habit of eating this kind of stuff on a daily basis, but sometimes I cave and eat a whole bunch of something, then vow to exrecise extra hard tomorrow.... :laugh:

Today is going to be one of those days.....

Wavy Lays dipped in cottage cheese.

Gibbles potato chips. MMMM, lard.

Tuna sandwich with potato chips smushed between the the bread and tuna.

Noodles and scrambled eggs.

Stouffers Mac and Cheese cooked to oblivion so that it's almost dry.

Tuna noodle casserole with potato chips on top.

Barbacoa de cabeza tacos. And taco cabana makes some damn good barbacoa tacos. I only get them when I'm by myself....if I meet friends there for breakfast, I'm too embarassed to order them. :unsure:

Luckily, my mother taught me this guilty pleasure, so when I visit the folks for the weekend, breakfast one morning will usually be "cabeza tacos" as mom calls them (out of embarassment, I usually opt for "barbacoa tacos"). And she always serves them with plenty of cilantro, chopped white onions, and sliced avacado. :wub:

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the processed cheese stuff too.  But I still can't bring myself to eat a cheesesteak wit the wiz. Go figure.

Grammar nit: It's a "cheesesteak, whiz wit."

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I'm really embarrassed that I shared this here, so thanks! My exhusband once found me eating a raw steak, and he thought it was disgusting and terrible. I think it must be gross and socially deadly to really like raw meat, and here I've gone and told the world, via eGullet. Twice in the past week, too! :shock:  Maybe I need to be bitten or something. For penance.

Wanna come over for dinner tomorrow night? I'm serving steak tartare.

Tell your husband he's the one with a problem.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the processed cheese stuff too.  But I still can't bring myself to eat a cheesesteak wit the wiz. Go figure.

Grammar nit: It's a "cheesesteak, whiz wit."

Thanks, Sandy. Sorry if I offended any Philadelphians. :blush:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

• 9 months later...

Wasa crispbreads, any flavor, sprayed with fake butter crap (either in the spritzer or from an aerosol can), then topped with Spike seasoning salt.

*munch, munch*

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

A whole package of pork cracklings dipped in vinegar

A whole package of bacon, fried to a crisp

Cutting away the fat around my hubby's steak and eating it.

Cutting away the fat from my son's pan-roasted crispy pork belly and eating it.

I could go on and on but I can actually feel my blood pressure go up.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos