• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Varmint - A Southern Stay at Home Vacation

Varmint

Also do they kick people out of the south for not liking sweet tea? can you order it strong and dry??

I drink it "strong and dry" if I can get it. I like sweet, but I prefer not. They haven't kicked me out yet. And depending on the part of the country you are in, you can usually (but not always) get both.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Thanks for sharing your vacation, family and lots of good Southern food with us. Homemade fried chicken is such a treat and this thread has me yearning for some... (Nevermind the Carolina bbq...)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Wonderful blog, Varmint! I didn't think your kids could get any cuter, based on the first photos, but the kids with the, er, kids are better still.

Sorry if this question has an obvious answer, but - why are the milking goats segregated? Do they spend their entire time in that "bubble"? Granted, it's a clean and airy bubble, but it still looks like the nannies are missing out on good grass outside.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

My son mentioned your wonderful diary as I drove him to Newark Airport for a long weekend in Rome, and when I returned home, I read the entire four pages. It as a great report in every detail. You have a lovely family. We are considering visiting Nort Carolina very soon.

Keep up the good work.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

love the goat farm!!! so awesome!

question for you, what is the difference between stromboli and calzone??

Stromboli is really just a folded up pizza. Calzones generally have ricotta and no sauce on the inside. Sauce is served on the side for dipping. If I'm wrong, I'll let others correct me.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Wonderful blog, Varmint!  I didn't think your kids could get any cuter, based on the first photos, but the kids with the, er, kids are better still. 

Sorry if this question has an obvious answer, but - why are the milking goats segregated?  Do they spend their entire time in that "bubble"?  Granted, it's a clean and airy bubble, but it still looks like the nannies are missing out on good grass outside.

that's a good point.............

the milking does have oodle's of roon in the barn, and they do have access to outside paddock, and, pasture.........

active, and healthy animals yield the best quality and quantity of milk, so it's in our best interest to look after their needs.............

goats that are dry, cool, and happy are our best friends............

everything from individual identification of animals, computerized records, to an evolving haacp plan is helping us assure that the products we provide, come from a sustainable and healthy sytem..........

regards to the "family", come back any time................

we sure enjoyed yesterday with y'all..................

john

love the goat farm!!! so awesome!

question for you, what is the difference between stromboli and calzone??

Stromboli is really just a folded up pizza. Calzones generally have ricotta and no sauce on the inside. Sauce is served on the side for dipping. If I'm wrong, I'll let others correct me.

That's what I've understood as well, at least for Italian-American calzones.

In addition to ricotta, calzones will also usually have some mozzarella and grated hard cheese like parmesean or romano as part of the base filling.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Ummm ... barbecue potatoes?  Explain please 'cuz they look really good!

A.

Barbecue potatoes are nothing more than potatoes boiled in water that has barbecue sauce (or oftentimes, Texas Pete hot sauce) added.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Wonderful blog, Varmint!  I didn't think your kids could get any cuter, based on the first photos, but the kids with the, er, kids are better still. 

Sorry if this question has an obvious answer, but - why are the milking goats segregated?  Do they spend their entire time in that "bubble"?  Granted, it's a clean and airy bubble, but it still looks like the nannies are missing out on good grass outside.

The non-milking goats just aren't old enough to be milked yet. These goats are incredibly well-treated. I'm almost concerned they care too much, as Ron, John and Debbie often petted them. I could never be a farmer, as I'd get too attached. But their care results in sweet milk which makes awesome cheese.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Also do they kick people out of the south for not liking sweet tea? can you order it strong and dry??

I drink it "strong and dry" if I can get it. I like sweet, but I prefer not. They haven't kicked me out yet. And depending on the part of the country you are in, you can usually (but not always) get both.

Okay, I give up. What on earth is "dry" tea?

Great blog, thanks so much. Beautiful, lovely children (kinna hurra).

After poaching the chicken, I needed to make some fresh mayo for the chicken salad (I used a lot of pecan oil here -- it was a different flavor, but not that substantial):

gallery_137_1414_26132.jpg

Et voila!

gallery_137_1414_26225.jpg

This is a very simple chicken salad of chicken, celery, red grapes and mayo.

gallery_137_1414_26591.jpg

gallery_137_1414_11041.jpg

My son (the one who was born in Wisconsin) wanted what else -- a grilled cheese. I had him make it himself (note the concentration).

gallery_137_1414_6553.jpg

My daughter wanted the college student's lunch of choice, Ramen noodles. She definitely had to make that herself.

gallery_137_1414_804.jpg

This was the featured item on tonight's menu:

gallery_137_1414_39204.jpg

My 4-year old offered to help set the table, at least the napkins.

gallery_137_1414_45975.jpg

She needs to work on not unfolding the napkins and balling them up.

gallery_137_1414_48819.jpg

Mmmmmm.

gallery_137_1414_58915.jpg

Served with roasted asparagus, potatoes boiled in the crab's steaming liquid, tomatoes and feta, and sauteed salmon for the kids who didn't want crab.

gallery_137_1414_15619.jpg

gallery_137_1414_39459.jpg

Everett loved the crab.

gallery_137_1414_18499.jpg

For dessert tonight, I had intended on making an ultra simple cobbler of blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. I've probably made a variation of this cobbler a hundred times. It's just 3/4 of a stick of butter melted in a deep dish pie pan. Then mix 3/4 cup self rising flour, 1 cup sugar, and 3/4 cup milk. Pour this into the pie pan with the melted butter. Mix 2 cups of fruit with about 1/2 cup of sugar. Add to batter. Bake at 350 for an hour. You end up with a light, cakey top and wonderful fruit at the bottom. Use salted butter for this, as you want a bit of salt in the caramelized top.

I made a mistake today that I didn't realize until it was way too late: I used all purpose flour instead of self-rising flour. So, I ended up discovering a new dish: sticky berry pudding. It was quite excellent and made for a pretty dessert.

gallery_137_1414_15034.jpg

gallery_137_1414_56564.jpg

gallery_137_1414_30612.jpg

We may visit tomorrow a local dairy for their ice cream. Otherwise, who knows????

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between eastern and western bbq?

First of all, I'm referring to two styles of North Carolina barbecue. Eastern-style is made with the whole hog and uses a simple sauce of vinegar and red pepper. Some people add some other ingredients to the sauce, but it's usually thin and somewhat piquant.

Western or Lexington style barbecue is generally made with pork shoulders only and the sauce has some tomato (usually ketchup) and some sweetness added. It's still vinegar-based and is generally nothing like the Texas type of viscous sauce. It's easier to find decent Western barbecue, as it's easier to cook shoulders rather than whole hogs. However, in my humble opinion, you can't beat the flavor of well-made Eastern barbecue.

Come to my pig pickin', and you'll be able to sample both styles!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between eastern and western bbq?

Oh Lord, here we go again. :shock::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Oh Lord, here we go again. :shock::laugh:

uh oh, did I open a can of worms? :biggrin:

Not at all. I love both styles of North Carolina barbecue. In fact, I love SC barbecue, and Memphis and Kansas City and Texas barbecue, too. To me, when you slowly cook meat over wood, well, what's so bad about that?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Just got back from a difficult (work) 10 days in Beijing and you made it worse!!!! :raz:

You have made me extremely homesick and longing for SILVER QUEEN CORN!!!! :sad::sad:

We get the crappiest corn here.

Great blog Varmit.

I failed you. I let you down. I forgot to take a picture of my breakfast this morning, which consisted of a slice of crusty bread, toasted, with 2 eggs, over easy. Coffee and 5 or 6 grapes rounded out the meal. Kids had heated up chocolate chip pancakes and one had hash browns.

We are going to Maple View Farm today. Saveur magazine named this place one of the 12 best ice cream parlors in the country. Sounds good to me!

So, anyone want to throw out menu ideas for Saturday's dinner? Anything you want to see that might be considered Southern? I'm all ears.

On Sunday, the final day of this vacation blog, we'll be headed to the 26th Annual Festival for the Eno, where they have pretty good food in addition to some great music and crafts.

And yes, I have taken lots of pictures of the kitchen to discuss its flow. I'll get to that today or tomorrow.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varmint,

Whatever you have for dinner, can you have some greens with it? I love greens - I've had mustard and beet greens with onions and bacon (Mrs Varmint might not go for the bacon). I've never had greens that tasted the way they did down south. It's the one thing I miss from living in the Carolinas.

Beautiful blog.

Ellen

Edited by EllenC (log)

Everett loved the crab.

gallery_137_1414_18499.jpg

whoa, you guys picked crabs indoors, on a bare table, with regular cloth napkins? not out back, with brown paper on the table and rolls of paper towels everywhere?

that's hardcore, yo. are you guys just really good at picking crabs, or did you hose down your house afterwards? because in my experience, that stuff ends up getting everywhere...

whoa, you guys picked crabs indoors, on a bare table, with regular cloth napkins?  not out back, with brown paper on the table and rolls of paper towels everywhere?

that's hardcore, yo.  are you guys just really good at picking crabs, or did you hose down your house afterwards?  because in my experience, that stuff ends up getting everywhere...

Our cleaning service comes today, so the timing of last night's dinner was not a coincidence.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I vote for an all veggie dinner (except for incidental meat used for flavoring), the quintessential southern summer meal.

I think a summer Southern vegetable plate would be fun as well, it's something I love to do. You have already cooked a lot of great traditional Southern side dishes, but there are so many good ones and you have a great source of material at your markets. I can't remember if you have made any okra yet. Lots of suggestions in this thread. Cornbread is always a nice accompaniement.

Lots of possiblities for desserts--buttermilk pie with a fruit sauce, regular or chocolate chess pie, strawberry shortcake, peach cobbler, coconut cream pie...

Or perhaps people would like to see the famous shrimp and grits; that could be served with greens and sliced tomatoes...

But hey, it is you and your family's vacation week! Maybe you feel like something else... Thanks again, for a great week of foodblogging.

Edited by ludja (log)