• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

reasonable Bay Area spot

aliwaks

I'm making a trip out to Marin to visit my Aunt and would like to take her out...she's quite the foodie and am looking for someplcea I can take ther thats reasonable liek $100 for two for dinner.

Preffably ethnic, last time I was there we were guests of Chez Pannisse , don't think I can pull that off again.

So excited to be going west!! Will be at Thursday (July 21st) Farmer's Market in Marin sitting at the Master Gardener Table, come say hello.

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

I'm making a trip out to Marin to visit my Aunt and would like to take her out...she's quite the foodie and am looking for someplcea I can take ther thats reasonable liek $100 for two for dinner.

Preffably ethnic, last time I was there we were guests of Chez Pannisse , don't think I can pull that off again.

So excited to be going west!! Will be at Thursday (July 21st) Farmer's Market in Marin sitting at the Master Gardener Table, come say hello.

Try FISH in Sausalito. http://www.331fish.com/

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Try FISH in Sausalito. http://www.331fish.com/

adorable menu. usually get fish tacos at this place in Mill valley few blocks from whole foods but this could be a new adventure, thanks!!!!

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

adorable menu. usually get fish tacos at this place in Mill valley few blocks from whole foods but this could be a new adventure, thanks!!!!

Actually, fish. is a few miles south of Mill Valley. It's off Harbor Drive, past Mollie Stone Market in Sausalito. It's a VERY casual place, seating is at picnic tables inside and out. If you're in the mood for Japanese, Sushi Ran further south is one of the best in the Bay Area.

I second Sushi Ran for good sushi!

There's also a nice French restaurant, Bistro 330, and a good Mediterranean restaurant, Insalata, both in San Anselmo. Neither are terribly "fancy", but they are consistently very good.

Finally, consider going to Kitchen in Novato. It's not ethnic, but it has well-prepared, upscale, unusual food in a nice atmosphere.

Edited by Batuta (log)

• 3 weeks later...

We tried Fish last night, based on the recommendations on this thread.

It was quite casual (picnic tables and blankets to wrap yourself up; lots of people with dogs) and the food was quite good. The crab rolls were excellent with a generous amount of warmed crab meat no "filler", but they did "something special" : all four of us have been talking about it ever since.

Wow! What an amusing and useful website Fish. has. I'm really impressed.

Wish more restaurants would invest in similar (non-flash!) sites.

Can't wait to take the ferry over and give it a try some weekend.

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Wow!  What an amusing and useful website Fish. has.  I'm really impressed.

Wish more restaurants would invest in similar (non-flash!) sites.

Can't wait to take the ferry over and give it a try some weekend.

-Erik

It's a fairly long walk from the Ferry, but not if your used to walkabout.

:raz:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Is this Joe's Taco Lounge? Yuck! Please go visit Fish or almost anywhere else.

It's amazing that with the per capita income/wealth in marin that the food is so generally awful. There are a few exceptions but not many.

The Fish guy is from Masa's. And he sourced a lot of their food from vendors at the farmers market.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

• 10 months later...

My wife and I have been to fish in Sausalito a couple times now, and have had great meals on both occasions.

The seafood is mostly locally sourced and as fresh as fresh can be.

Great oysters at the raw bar (or grilled).

They usually have some sort of whole grilled fish (striped bass both times I've been) and that has been really good. If you're there with a few people, I recommend you share that dish, however it is prepared.

Also, both times I've been, there have been local grilled or fried sardines on the menu. "Fries with Eyes"! Yum!

For me the restaurant is just the right combination of fantastic food and casual atmosphere.

The only downside is it can be quite busy, so sometimes there is a wait for a table. Oh, and despite the title of this thread, while I think fish is quite "reasonable" for the quality of ingredients, the size of portions, and the fact it is in Sausalito, it isn't cheap.

I think the original chef earlier this year; but, the quality of food doesn't seem to have suffered.

edit - tried to fix some grammar things.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA