• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zomick's Kafe and Bakery

Holly Moore

I had an on-site meeting in Radnor PA with a manufacturer from Brooklyn. As we parted he presented me with a well stuffed brown paper bag. "Kosher Danish - I brought them all the way from New York."

I made a big deal of it. "Wow, New York danish. That's great." I didn't add that Philadelphia bakeries made danish. I know how important it is to feign awe of anything a New Yorker brings from New York. Especially a food product. Especially baked goods.

I hauled the unopened bag back to my business and handed it off to the manager. "New York Danish." She set them out on a plate for everyone. There were ooohs and aaahs aplenty. I investigated. "Wow. Huge." Tried one. Heavy, fresh, delicious. "Double Wow." Tried another. And another. A cinnamon roll, a cheese danish and a rolled pastry filled with chocolate and nuts. (They were so big we sliced them into portions.) Really, really good. Far better than anything I've had in Philly.

So I called the manufacturer. Assured him that as long as he kept showing up with New York danish, we'd keep doing business. And got the name. "Zomick's."

I googled and assume it is Zomick's Kafe and Bakery in Cedarhurst. What surprised me is that there weren't search pages full of raves for Zomick's. Guess, for a New Yorker, Zomick's danish aren't all that special. Probably plenty of places offer such great danish. But this Philadelphian had at least a bit of a "tired of hearing how everything from New York is better" chip knocked off his shoulder.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

In NYC and nearby, we can often find Zomicks Challah and rolls as well as many of their baked goods. Of course, you never know how long they've been in the store but for the most part, the deliveries arrive towards the end of the week in time for Shabbat.

We love-love-love the challahs and can't even imagine how much better they would be if we drove to the bakery itself but they're still wonderful and we drive an extra few miles to the grocery stores that do carry them! (We have friends whose eyes glaze over when Zomicks is mentioned, they love it so much.)

I've had a few of the cakes and really enjoyed them. I'll keep a lookout for the cheese danish though.

jayne

I used to work across the street from Zomick's in Cedarhurst. A truly wonderful bakery. These days, I find Zomick's baked goods for sale at Wegmans during the Jewish Holidays. Good, but nothing like the stuff out of the display case.

• 2 weeks later...
Holly, maybe you can find the time to scout a few Long Island eateries worthy of being listed at hollyeats.com.

I have been trying to get to Nathan's Coney Island and am wide-open for the other greasestain worthy places I need to hit.

For a few years in the early 70s I lived in Patchogue and commuted to Roslyn. Perhaps I've avoided Long Island because I never saw the traffic (parking) on the LIE improving. :smile:

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

What a coincindence. I found myself on Central Avenue today and wanted to make a stop but didn't have time.

Zomick's has been a Long Island staple since the late 70s/early 80s. They've been in 3 locations on Central Avenue over the years and I've frequented all of them. The place used to be known for their surly old women behind the counter (this was a staple of all kosher bakeries, alas many of the women have passed on the great bakeshop in the sky) and if you get there during the day you might still encounter one.

Their challahs are very eggy and cakey. And the ones you buy in the store are miles better than the ones you'll find prepackaged at any market. Cakes are pretty good for pareve. I've always liked the chocolate cakes with mocha or cappucino cream. Their rugelach are different from the standard. They're not flakey. If you can get past that, they're quite good. I love the bowties. They come in plain, apricot, and raspberry. Their cinnamon-raisin bread (that looks like it was baked in a can) is also delicious.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

We moved from NY to Suth Jersey a few years ago and what we miss most are the kosher Long Island Bakeries-specially Zomicks. Whenever our friends and family come to visit, they bring challah, challah rolls, black and white cookies and a flat round cake called"meltaway" that is just like having the top third of a very dense and crumby crumb cake. I have seen these cakes and challahs in Shoprite in Cherry Hill, NJ too. The trick is to find out the delivery day and buy a bunch when they are fresh- they freeze very well. We've been known to eat the meltaway right out of the freezer!

Helen Kimmel

We moved from NY to Suth Jersey a few years ago and what we miss most are the kosher Long Island Bakeries-specially Zomicks.  Whenever our friends and family come to visit, they bring challah, challah rolls, black and white cookies and a flat round cake called"meltaway" that is just  like having the top third of a very dense and crumby crumb cake.  I have seen these cakes and challahs  in Shoprite in Cherry Hill, NJ too.  The trick is to find out the delivery day and buy a bunch when they are fresh- they freeze very well.  We've been known to eat the meltaway right out of the freezer!

It's my understanding that the challahs are made on Wed for Thursday delivery as most people do their pre-shabbat shopping on either Thursday or Friday.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs