• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Veranda at the Empress

shelora

Once again the Empress Hotel has opened their veranda overlooking the inner harbour. In the safety of the stone fortress you can catch some major rays and watch the sunset while sipping 3 oz. $11.00 martinis.

Last night we watched the tall ships come into the harbour without having to fight for a view with the hoards on the sidewalk.

Small plates menu, hotel prices, comes up with some tasty snacks focussing on island ingredients.

It's my new summer hideaway.

I love those little tea sandwiches they serve....bread, butter, cream cheese, shredded carrots, dash of ginger.

Yum.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

It's not a hideaway if you tell us all where it is.

Yes, Mr. Smartie-pants.

This spot is glorious because no locals ever go there, unless I'm taking them with me. It's like going on a mini-holiday watching the waddling tourists.

Those tea sandwiches - along with the Afternoon Tea service - are only available inside the hotel.

The Veranda serves strictly cocktails and small plates - accompanied by the amazing inner-harbour view!

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.