• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homebuilt Tandoor

Hi all,

I just build tandoor at home using 55 gal. drum, castable refractory, fire bricks & clay pot.

I am new to this forum so I do not know how to post the pictures. you can contact me at schokshi@ford.com or you can post your inquiries here.

I will be more than happy to share lessons learned during this project.

Hi all,

I just build tandoor at home using 55 gal. drum, castable refractory, fire bricks & clay pot.

I am new to this forum so I do not know how to post the pictures. you can contact me at schokshi@ford.com or you can post your inquiries here.

I will be more than happy to share lessons learned during this project.

Welcome Sujit,

Click on Image Gullet on the top of this page and you should be able to follow the instructions to post pictures. Where are you based?

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

• 2 months later...

Nice oven and some portable features as well it is very popular in Central Asia as well from Russia( I was invited sashliks) to Mongolia and some parts of Western (Muslim)China to the East and Russia to Turkey to the west though in those parts it is called tandir.

I have not dared to ask my Uzbek host how they would cook samsas(savoury pies) I guess someone here could me how they do samosas in the this oven?

thanks

Edited by piazzola (log)