• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knife Sharpening good and reasonable?

I drove by Sur La Table in Friendship Heights the other day and they had a sign out that said they were sharpening knives for $1. Anyone know how long this deal is going on?

Chris Sadler

I drove by Sur La Table in Friendship Heights the other day and they had a sign out that said they were sharpening knives for $1.  Anyone know how long this deal is going on?

I went in and ask them about it. They have a 4 stage wheel grinder. And they do it on weekday only. They also will not do japaness knifes.

I drove by Sur La Table in Friendship Heights the other day and they had a sign out that said they were sharpening knives for $1.   Anyone know how long this deal is going on?

I went in and ask them about it. They have a 4 stage wheel grinder. And they do it on weekday only. They also will not do japaness knifes.

Does anyone know if they have somebody who is skilled? Or is it just the regular store staff?

-Linda

While I understand the instinct to hire a professional to sharpen your knives, I highly recommend learning how to take care of them yourself. I learned a lot by taking the recreational knife skills class at L'academie de Cuisine's Bethesda, MD campus, long before I enrolled in the professional culinary career training program. I think it's still under $50 and worth every penny.

While I understand the instinct to hire a professional to sharpen your knives, I highly recommend learning how to take care of them yourself. I learned a lot by taking the recreational knife skills class at L'academie de Cuisine's Bethesda, MD campus, long before I enrolled in the professional culinary career training program. I think it's still under $50 and worth every penny.

As someone who recently taught himself to use waterstones to sharpen his knives, I couldn't agree more. It's fun to learn and adds a certain element of pride every time I use one of my knives. Japan woodworker, despite its name, is an excellent place to buy sharpening stones for cutlery as well, with very helpful staff.

Don’t you have a machine that puts food into the mouth and pushes it down?

--Nikita Khrushchev to Richard Nixon during the "Kitchen Debate" in Moscow, 1959

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the suggestion, cigarnv. I sent my knives away the day before I left for vacation, and they were waiting for me when I returned (one week later). I had 8 knives and two pairs of scissors sharpened for $59 (plus the cost of the mailer that includes shipping for $15). I am very pleased. Of course, I have never had my knives sharpened before so I have no basis of comparison, but I am quite pleased. I calculated that to have them sharpened at Sur La Table or somewhere per inch would have cost more. And I didn't have to drop them off and pick them up. Pretty terrific.

something quick but not dirty for your knives:

sharpeners from accusharp and norton abrasives are really neat for taking care of knives on a daily / weekly basis especially for home cooks

they have blades at a preset angle so you don't have to worry about precise angle. and yes I had gotten the accusharp link either from this or cheftalk forum. in hunt for that found norton myself.

usually about 12 dollars, they are good bang for the buck.