• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Red Guide / Star System (merged topic)

Andy Lynes

I'm also pretty sure its coverage does not extend to any area not covered by its national guides. I don't believe you will find any infromation there that hasn't already appeared in the other red guides.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 6 months later...

I just had a flat with a Michelin tire. This got me to thinking. Since Michelin produces the pre-eminent restaurant guide, yet its primary business is making tires, I had a thought.

Why not start a new reality show about a French restaurant that produces and reviews cars and tires?

This could be a follow-up to "The Restaurant." Several chefs could be recruited. But my first choice would be Ducasse because he looks a little like the Michelin Man. Anyone else have a thought on the starring chef?

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

• 1 year later...

I had my first kontakt whit the guid michelin today!

I work in a 1 star restaurant. And today one guest was from the Michelin.

It is not a plesent job to walk with him around in the restaurant.

I thought my hart wood stop. But i think every thing went well!

He had not enything to complain about! I started this jobb in febuari so this was the first time i was responsible for the food and the kitchen!

It was a intreasting experiens.

Probely it is the same for every body but the hard bite is that you hav to wait 8 month bifor I know how it went.

Is ther enybody els that feel the same way?

This was a strang day for me.

Mumin.

Mumin, I can't imagine the stress of trying to work while a Michelin Guide inspector is watching your every move. Good luck, and I hope the review is good!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 5 years later...

I was waiting one pins and needles for the Kyoto/Osaka/Kobe one. I wanted to see what they'd do in Kobe, and I really didn't expect that many, but there were a lot more than I had imagined! Most were restaurants I had never heard of, too. Too bad it came out several months too late for me to really take advantage of it.