• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Shopping in Halifax

I just moved to Halifax. Although I have lived here before, and I am not a total stranger to the city, I am unsure about where to look for certain food items. In particular, I am looking for good Chinese grocery stores and an Italian grocery stores. Any ideas?

Welcome to one of the best cities in the country.

I shop here for better items and a great produce selection.

Pete's

There two locations one in Bedford and another Downtown Halifax.

I also use the Italian Market on Young St. and the SuperStore for my day to day items.

Cheers

Larry

"My gastronomic perspicacity knows no satiety." - Homer

Thanks, Larry. I forgot about Pete's. It's good to know about the new location. I will also check out the Italian market.

I think this is the best city in the country.

Welcome to the city... I am originally from Vancouver, and was pretty anxious about the semming lack of availability of ethnic goodies when I arrived seven years ago. However, there are some good spots. For starters, there's an impressive array of middle eastern groceries - one of my favourites is the Persian Bazaar on Gottingen St. Really spectacular dates, pistachios and frozen mango and passionfruit purees (great for lassis). There's an Indian grocery store on the corner of Robie and North, and a very decent little Asian store in Dartmouth. The farmer's market on Saturdays in Halifax is congested but fun... I own a restaurant in Dartmouth, one block up from the ferry terminal. It's called the Queen of Cups - stop in some time. I love to meet fellow egulleteers.

Nice to see some fellow Halifax eGulleteers! There are a ton of little ethnic stores around town (even a Newfoundland store!). I found that a very good way to find them is to do a Google search. Try this link:

Local Google Search

Type in something like "food" "restaurants" or whatever, and Halifax, NS. It should be very productive.

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I used to work for an organics delivery business there, called Homegrown Organic Foods. They have a small storefront in a back alley off Allen St, open on Saturdays only, and of course do the "produce box" format as well. Website is at http://www.hgof.ns.ca, boss is Geordie (he's a good egg). Tell him Fred says hi. Basically get the farmer's market delivered to you, and avoid the crush...

There is also an organics outlet on Agricola St, just off the Commons, whose name eludes me at the moment. They're a co-op, so membership can get you pretty good pricing. They specialize in grains and legumes. A few blocks further up, where Agricola crosses North, you'll find a couple of good Lebanese groceries. Just past them, heading north, you'll find Brothers Meats, which is a landmark for good reason.

Hope this helps, and pardon the shakiness of my tired memory...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I used to work for an organics delivery business there, called Homegrown Organic Foods.  They have a small storefront in a back alley off Allen St, open on Saturdays only, and of course do the "produce box" format as well.  Website is at http://www.hgof.ns.ca, boss is Geordie (he's a good egg).  Tell him Fred says hi.  Basically get the farmer's market delivered to you, and avoid the crush...

There is also an organics outlet on Agricola St, just off the Commons, whose name eludes me at the moment.  They're a co-op, so membership can get you pretty good pricing.  They specialize in grains and legumes.  A few blocks further up, where Agricola crosses North, you'll find a couple of good Lebanese groceries.  Just past them, heading north, you'll find Brothers Meats, which is a landmark for good reason.

Hope this helps, and pardon the shakiness of my tired memory...

I think the Co-op you're thinking about is The Grainery Food Co-op

By the way, chromedome, I really enjoyed your blog.

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I have been settling in nicely, and I managed to check out a few places over the weekend. I found a good Asian grocery on Queen. I haven't been to the Italian market yet, but I will definitely go this week. I checked out Pete's, and I was impressed by the selection of items there. The place is a bit pricey for my grad-student budget, but I will definitely go there from time to time for special items. (I've always wanted to try breadfruit.) I was at the market this weekend, and I checked out the grainery co-op stall. I think Halifax can definitely accomodate most of my food shopping requirements.

I will make a trip to Dartmouth sometime to visit the Queen of Cups.

Thank you, everyone!