• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[SEA] Inexpensive appliances

Someone told me that Albert Lee has an annual sale with prices so low people camp out to be first in line. I believe it's sometime in the fall. Has anyone been, and is it indeed as good as I heard?

I went to one a few years back, almost bought stuff to store for a future remodel (I didn't, that's insane behavior for me.) Can be very good, but the inventory is hit and miss and the assistance isn't like full-serve.

I've done the research and initial Albert Lee visits (so I know what I want and can afford, as well as what I would like but can't afford) and the remodel starts soon. I was just wondering if it was worth waiting until the sale to see what they had before purchasing a range. I'll take that as two yes votes-thanks.

If you are shopping for appliances - regular to high-end, it's worthwhile to check out Kent Funiture and Appliance. Don't laugh, it's true. It's family owned and the owner Ken, has close to 30 years experience in appliances and really knows what he's talking about. I have recommended this place to lots of people and they keep going back there.

Just go to Albert Lee or others and write down the quoted prices, make a list or a spreadsheet - take 10% off or so and offer it to Ken. Or better, ask for a direct quote for a list of desired appliances and compare to your quote. Ask for a package deal too. Throw in free shipping to most areas and some manufacturer rebates, you will get the best deal in town. Ken has an annual sale every year also and that is the best time to buy, but you will get a good deal any time of the year. Just don't laugh at his furniture when you go there. He really knows his appliances - e.g. JennAire dishwashers will get louder and louder with time. Be sure to call to make sure he carries your favorite brand - not sure if he carries Wolf but he carries most brands.

Kent Furniture & Appliance, (253) 854-3000, 1015 Central Ave N, Kent, WA 98032

*No disclaimers - I have no business contacts and nothing to gain from promoting this place. I wish I did get a kick back though. I will shop there again when we build our next home.

On another note, if anyone has tried the "direct buying service" please leave a note on whether they are really worth it or not. I keep seeing their ads on TV.

-hungry_moose

Direct Buying Service is a family owned appliance store on 1st Ave S-I know the ads you are talking about but they are called something else (I can't remember what). Thanks for the Kent tip, and it's funny you should mention DBS (accidentally)-we bought a fridge and a washer there and they told us they would beat any other price we found for a range.

Regarding the other place whose name we can't think of (Direct Buy Warehouse?): my neighbor remodels homes for a living, and she thinks that it's a good value if you do a LOT of remodeling. She told me the join fee is huge and they don't even let you in the place before you join-you can't even check it out first. Instead you go to a no-kids-allowed info session and have to decide then and there to join or not. She never would have done it-it seemed really shady-except that she had business associates who belonged and had told her good things.

Edited by kiliki (log)

Thanks kiliki for the advice about the DBS/DBW. I was always curious about it. No thanks to membership and info. session on DBW or whatever they are called. I hope you get a good deal on your range, wherever you end up buying from.

On another separate note, I always enjoyed your posts on eG and chowhounds, your posts are always helpful, nice & polite!

-hungry_moose

• 2 weeks later...
If you are shopping for appliances - regular to high-end, it's worthwhile to check out Kent Funiture and Appliance. Don't laugh, it's true.

Thanks for the tip on Kent Furniture & Appliance. I hooked up a friend who is building a new house (complete with a chef fantasy kitchen) and is shopping appliances. Kent immediately offered him a very good package deal on a bunch of equipment.

As for Direct Buy, another friend, building another house, is a member and says it is hit and miss. If you are buying a lot it is good, BUT you can often find better prices elsewhere if you shop around. Since I need a new washer-dryer, and really want one of the front load water and energy saving models, he checked some for me, and I did better with a big sale at Sear's. But it really depends what you want.

PS. I know that some people might think washers and dryers are verboten off-topic, but they probably just forgot the need to wash the food and wine stains out of your clothes after a really good cooking fest. Everything can be related to food if you just keep an open mind. :smile:

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

We were in the market this week for a new dishwasher. We checked with Direct Buy and liked an Asko at $1,000.

I then went to Albert Lee at Southcenter and looked at Miele. Way out of our price range and told the salesman that. He took me in the scratch & dent room, showing the same Miele at $770. I asked him what was wrong with it. He could find nothing other than a missing manual and a kickplate. Those he produced from another floor model.

I would bet this type of swapping occurs quite often and then the showroom model then moves into the scratch and dent room.

I'd check there to get more for my money.

dave

Thanks for everyone's suggestions-I would have liked to check out the scratch and dent room if we hadn't already purchased. The Albert Lee sale won't be until after our whole project is supposed to be done, it turns out, so we ended up getting the range and dishwasher at Sears after a series of negotiations. Home Depot had the range we wanted for a far lower price than anyone else, then Direct Buying Service told us they would beat that price by $60. We took that price to Sears and they told us they would beat it by $35, plus they alerted us to a sale last weekend where all appliances were 10% off. So we got the range, which we saw at Albert Lee and Sears (before the price matching and discounts) for over $2300, for $1800.

• 1 year later...

DRColby,

Old topic, but do you still like your Miele dishwasher? Have you had any problems with it?

I'm tired of my kitchenaid appliances breaking down, not to mention my Maytag Neptune washer breaking down twice.

p.s. On another topic, I bought some fresh Fluke (my dad's request) at H Mart last week, cost me $50 for one fish. At least they fillet it for sashimi and gave the bones for a spicy fish stew......

-Moose

Edited by hungry_moose (log)

okay, thanks kiliki.

BTW, the next Albert Lee Scratch & Dent Sale is in November.

-Moose

HM-Try searching the whole board for info about Meile. I remember reading a thread where some people were very unhappy with the brand, though I don't remember details.

• 2 months later...