• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BYO Restaurants in Phoenix Area

I posted at the end of the thread on Phoenix/Scottsdale asking about a couple of restaurants that I enjoyed years ago. Glad to hear Vincent on Camelback is still in business, but I don't know if the quality is still high.

I'm also interested in any BYO places for when I travel there in July. I know of one restaurant, Coup des Tartes, that is reported to be BYO friendly. But the rumor is if you ask a local if they know of any BYO establishments, you'll usually get a wink or a smile, but no info.

I know some states and some municipalities don't allow BYO, and maybe that's the case with the Phoenix area. But I'd appreciate any information the locals may have. Thanks.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Hi Brad, I don't have a TON of experience with BYO here except that if I want to bring my own, I call the restaurant and ask about their corking fee. Some allow it, some do not. There is one place I go to regularly in Chandler, Cyclo (vietnamese). Since they don't have a liquor license, they allow customers to bring their own.

• 4 weeks later...

Brad,

There ARE a few BYO restaurants in Phoenix. The August Phoenix magazine listed four BYOBs that were worth checking out:

Atlas Bistro

Coup de Tartes

Guiseppe's

Sixth Avenue Bistro Chez Francois

The only one that I have personal experience with is Atlas Bistro and I'd heartily recommend it. You can pick out your wine next door at AZ Wine Company which has everything from basic quaffs to splurge wines, all at bargain prices.

Brad,

There ARE a few BYO restaurants in Phoenix.  The August Phoenix magazine listed four BYOBs that were worth checking out:

Atlas Bistro

Coup de Tartes

Guiseppe's

The only one that I have personal experience with is Atlas Bistro and I'd heartily recommend it. You can pick out your wine next door at AZ Wine Company which has everything from basic quaffs to splurge wines, all at bargain prices.

I've heard nothing but good things about Atlas Bistro, and AZ Wine Co. is an awesome store. A must-see for wine lovers.

Brad,

There ARE a few BYO restaurants in Phoenix.  The August Phoenix magazine listed four BYOBs that were worth checking out:

Atlas Bistro

Coup de Tartes

Guiseppe's

I've already been and returned. But thanks for the info for future use. I ended up having to go out to eat with a group of folks, and we went to Cowboy Ciao. So-so experience that I chronicled in the Cowboy Ciao thread in this forum.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I've already been and returned.  But thanks for the info for future use.  I ended up having to go out to eat with a group of folks, and we went to Cowboy Ciao.  So-so experience that I chronicled in the Cowboy Ciao thread in this forum.

For more future reference (such as it is)...

The original Nick's, on 100th Street and Frank Lloyd Wright, didn't have a liquor license. They were very BYO-friendly; if they had a corkage fee, it was so low that I don't remember it. I haven't been there in a few years, so I don't know the current state of affairs.

Nick's now has two or three other restaurants. I've been to the one on Pima and Pinnacle Peak several times, and I know they do have a wine list. I can't speak to the list's quality, since I only visited at lunchtime. I've since moved to another neighborhood, where there's another brand-new Nick's (at Tatum and Shea), but haven't yet visited it.

Good Italian food, too. Casual, red-checked tablecloth place, with friendly wait staff. Get anything that includes their homemade sausage. It was worth the trek when they were out at 100th Street, and I'm glad to have his cooking nearby.