• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boudin?

Your welcome.

Would you mind telling us what kind of shape it was in when it showed up? Was it still hard frozen? How was it packed? Etc.

It would be very helpful to those thinking about ordering.

Thanks

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Your welcome.

Would you mind telling us what kind of shape it was in when it showed up? Was it still hard frozen? How was it packed? Etc.

It would be very helpful to those thinking about ordering.

Thanks

Well I've ordered perishable foods from all over the country and I thought they did a fair job of packing.

Coincidentally, I showed up at the house when fed-x was making the delivery around 3:00pm: about 3/4 of the shipment was still frozen solid and 1/4 starting to thaw. They packed in cardboard lined with styrofoam with a frozen pack insert. My only complaint would be that they left too much space inside the box and some larger sausages beat up on the smaller ones in transit; the smaller ones were slightly smashed where they were beginning to thaw (very minor issue but could have been mcuh worse if there was any more thaw).

I might have some concerns shipping in summer and/or if nobody was home within a couple of hours of delivery.

Ordering online was easy; order confirmation was prompt and accurate.

It's an amazing thing, this internet stuff. Poche's is literally "in the middle of nowhere" (just ask Rachel P., she can tell you all about it :laugh: ). Still hard for me to believe that they can do anything overnight from their local.

Glad to hear that it showed up in good shape. I am doing a small catering job tonight (75 people -cocktail snacks-sweets) and am using andoullie from Poche's as part of my crawfish pie filling (I went and picked it up Saturday p.m., easy for me to say :wink: )

Menu tonight-

Crawfish Tarts (2 inch crawfish pies in pate brisee)

Smoked Salmon on flatbread w/sun dried tom. pesto, creole creme cheese and capers

Gorganzola Mousse w/homemade breadsticks (served in large sourdough loaves hollowed out with all of these sticks coming out if it, looks very cool)

Hazlenut/Chocolate Puffs

Lemon Loves

Gotta Go. Need to put together 100 crawfish tarts.

I was reading in the 1928 Times Picayune Creole Cook Book. The recipe for boudin not only doesnt include pork liver but it doesnt include rice either. Instead of rice it calls for bread that is soft and cook with the pork in cream. When did we switch? Also, the creole word for cooking "chitterlings" is andouilles. Im freaked out.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

• 2 weeks later...

Poche's crawfish boudin was excellent (but I've never had crawfish boudin before so what do I know). It was a little soft, I guess I was expecting a little more firmness but I was pleased, had it with shrimp and grits. Their tasso was pretty good too, nice balanced spiciness, put it my black eye peas.

• 11 months later...

Around Christmas time, my husband and I did a little boudin taste testing. It was a spur of the moment thing, so there was boudin from only three different area shops. They included The Best Stop in Scott, Billeaud's in Broussard, and Comeaux's in Lafayette (Kaliste Saloom location). I was positive that the Best Stop boudin would win, and my husband's money was on Billeaud's, but surprisingly, we liked Comeaux's the best. The casing on the boudin at Best Stop was a little tough that day, and it made the eating while driving trick a little less manageable. While this seems like an odd complaint, I thought there could've been a bit more rice in the mix. Billeaud's and Comeaux's both had very tender casings, easy for either the bite-and-pull-the-innards-out method, or any method of attack. However, there was something about Comeaux's that hit the perfect combination of seasonings, spices, meat, and rice. Tres bon! I should add that on any given day, boudin from any of the three locations would be a treat. Luckily for me, this Comeaux's (there are two) is about 2 minutes from my house, while Best Stop and Billeaud's are equally out of the way in opposite directions.

Last week I stopped at Poche's for the first time (my hairdresser stopped commuting to Lafayette and now cuts hair from her house, minutes from Poche's). I bought some of their andouille (for the freezer, haven't had any yet) and some alligator sausage as well as some crawfish boudin. I have to say, it's not the best crawfish boudin I've had (that honor goes to Legnon's in New Iberia). The crawfish were sparse and the link was a little too limp and moist. It didn't strike the perfect balance (she said after wolfing down several links). I wish I'd also picked up some of their regular boudin so I could compare to the others I've tasted. However, I'll have the opportunity to remedy that mistake next time I get my hair cut.

I found this interesting little boudin review site today which visitors and locals might find interesting as well as helpful: BOUDIN REVIEWS

Edited by patti (log)

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Get the regular next time. It's nothing short of just about perfect. I like it better (marginally) that Champagne's in Breaux Bridge and Best Stop-although I wouldn't tell you no to either one of those.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the report card from www.boudinlink.com/ . Heading to Opelousas this weekend. Think I will give Billy's Boudin and Cracklin a shot (Billy's recipe). Dr. C's and Coach T's web site is an excellent place to visit before any trip down yonder. They have photo's and links to yahoo maps for each local. It sounds like they really know their boudin too. ch A- Best Stop, Scott, A+ Don's, Carencro, B+ Romero's Grocery, Scott, A Legnon's Boucherie, New Iberia, C- Dave's Quality Meats, New Iberia, A+ Billeaud's, Broussard,A- Poche's, Breaux, Bridge, C- Lagneaux's, Lafayette, A Comeaux's (W.Congress), Lafayette, A Hebert's, Maurice, B+ Country Ridge Express, Opelousas, B- Don's Country Corner, Duson, A Earl's, Lafayette, B+ Early's Food Store, Scott, B Bruce's You Need A Butcher, Lafayette, B Menard and Miller's, Cankton, B Menard and Miller's, Cankton, C+ Meche's, Opelousas, B Heleaux's Grocery, Lafayette, A Chop's Specialty Meat, Broussard, B Sunset Specialty Meat, Sunset, A Charlie-T's Specialty Meats, Breaux Bridge, B- M & S Grocery, Lafayette, C+ Country Cuisine, Lafayette, A Bayou Boudin and Cracklin, Breaux Bridge, LA (Louis David, KATC TV, Guest Reviewer)B Richard's Meat Market, Abbeville, C Hebert's Meat Market and Slaughter House, Abbeville, A+ Billy's Boudin & Cracklin (Billy's Recipe), Opelousas, B- Little Veron's, Lafayette, C+ Billy's Boudin & Cracklin (Ray's Recipe), OpelousasA Comeaux's (Kaliste Saloom), Lafayette,

Edited by saturnbar (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Being kinda "slow", I'm only just now getting to the gumbo cook-off. I cook gumbo a lot (usually shellfish or duck varieties), but almost never with sausage, because I simply don't have a good source here in Nashville.

So I had ordered 8 pounds of andouille from Poche's to put in the freezer. Of course, they have a minimum weight limit, so I went ahead and ordered an additional five-pound pack of their "party link" boudin. It's little 2-3 inch links, perfect for an hors d'oeuvre.

I was almost out of chicken stock, and I needed chicken meat for a "chicken and sausage" gumbo anyway, so today I was making chicken stock. I picked out about a pound of thigh meat after it had "poached" for a bit and refrigerated it for the gumbo tomorrow.

So, at this point I was a little peckish and decided to drop some of the boudin as a snack. Three mini-links.

Wow! It's fantastic. The size of the party links makes for two hearty mouthfuls, and then you can put the casing aside (I'm a "squeezer").

Just the right amount of rice, a good porky flavor without being fatty or greasy, and a decent level of heat -- just right, in fact, and I'm kind of obsessive about heat. Just hot enough so you say "it's a spicy treat" but not so spicy you need to run to a glass of milk. Really great. Recommended!

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

• 4 weeks later...

Bump.

I'd like to second, or third, or whatever the recs on Poche's. Just received earlier this week some andouille, crawfish etouffeé, and pork boudin. The etouffeé and the pork boudin are both outsanding. We are having them tonight for the second time this week, and I'll either have to reorder the etouffeé before long or figure out how to make it myself :raz:. Haven't tried the andouille yet (I usually order from Jacobs), but I'm hard pressed to think it will be anything but good given my other two data points. Highly recommended.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

• 5 years later...