• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking fish with not so firm texture

Evan

I sometimes keep a fish or two that I catch for dinner. Unfortunatly, the fish that I catch the most often has a very very mushy texture when I pan fry them in oil. So the question I pose is what are some of the cooking methods or recipes that you can use mushy flesh fish?

Fresh fish anyone?

bspcookweb.jpg

Fish that size I usually like to cook in the oven, olive oil, lemon and maybe some herbs in the cavity - keeping it on the bone might help it.

Or you could try coating some fillets in panko crumbs and quickly deep frying - works well with some of the softer flatfish anyway.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

I agree. I'd keep this fish whole and just put some lemon, herbs and a bit of salt in the cavity. Then I'd oil and salt the skin and grill it on the barbeque. Great with a green salad, tomatoes and some crusty bread with salt and EVOO. And of course a nicely chilled glass of white wine.

You're fish looks delicious. Enjoy it!

Actually, this fish in the picture is a smaller version, it gets to be about 15 inches. My biggest one went around 12" but most of the fish are 6"-10". Thanks food lovers for your suggestions, I think I will try the fillet, panko, and the quick deepfry, you cannot go wrong with a little deep fry. :laugh:

We periodically catch fish that are sort of mushy that we don't throw back. One of my favorite preps is something we often ate in Thailand. Deep fry the whole fish and sauce with something spicy.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

We periodically catch fish that are sort of mushy that we don't throw back.  One of my favorite preps is something we often ate in Thailand.  Deep fry the whole fish and sauce with something spicy.

On a similar note you could try a sichuan style braised fish in chilli bean sauce.

I love animals.

They are delicious.