• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winnipeg Goldeye (Smoked)

A friend here in the U.S. has asked me to find out how she can obtain Winnipeg Goldeye. (I've never had the fish. I understand it's often sold smoked.) Does anyone know of some place that ships this fish to the U.S.?

I have a feeling that Pam, who goes by the moniker PamR, and who posts here, would know. She lives in Winnipeg and is a caterer. She may have the skinny on smoked Winnipeg goldeye.

:biggrin:

I would contact Mariner Neptune at 1.800.668.8862 - they are my supplier, the people I would normally get it from.

Or, the Gimli Fish Market at 204-589-3474.

I'd say these were your best bets. How much fish do you need/want? I'm not sure how one would go about sending smoked fish to the US, but I'm sure they've had to deal with this before. Winnipegers who move to other locations are known for trying to get their hometown food favorites shipped to them.

:biggrin:

I would contact Mariner Neptune at 1.800.668.8862 - they are my supplier, the people I would normally get it from.

Or, the Gimli Fish Market at 204-589-3474.

I'd say these were your best bets.  How much fish do you need/want?  I'm not sure how one would go about sending smoked fish to the US, but I'm sure they've had to deal with this before.  Winnipegers who move to other locations are known for trying to get their hometown food favorites shipped to them.

Thanks Pam. I'll call these places to see if they can ship to the U.S. I have a feeling they may not (the Mariner Neptune site mentioned supplying establishments all across Canada, but made no mention of the States), but it's worth checking (plus they may be able to lead me in the right direction).

As for quantity, I wasn't looking for much; probably 2-3 fish, but I could probably handle up to a dozen. (The "friend" I mentioned in my original post is actually my mother-in-law. She would like to get some (I imagine 1-2 fish) for her husband's doctor, who is originally from Winnipeg. But if I need to order more to satisfy some minimum order requirement, I'm sure I could find what to do with another 10 or so.)

And Rona, thanks so much for your offer. I'll try the places Pam mentioned first, but if that doesn't work out . . . . (I have a feeling FDA regs may be an issue, but I'll check.)

Thanks again for all the responses.

Kaplan's deli in Vancouver should carry it. It's incredible stuff.

Well, stopped by Kaplans today on the way from Mother in-laws to Granville Island. Picked up two Goldeye, and some smoked sablefish. I have a question. How do you eat Goldeye? We just ate it on bread, but its texture is so mushy that it isn't the same as smoked trout or something similar. So what do people do to it to eat it? I don't find it very good quite frankly. It's mushy and bland. Not much smoke flavour at all. I much prefer any smoked trout or salmon. Or the aforementioned sablefish, it's incredible, very yummy.

I thought that it might be really good if you diced up some red onion and pickle, mayonaise, seasoned, maybe some tarragon, and make a spread for sandwich.

So Shelora, how do you like to prepare it?

Tonight is lobster from the Lobster Man and our own snow peas, yummmm.

Mtigges- Any idea where the goldeye originated? Was it smoked here or there? I wonder if it was smoked here and frozen on it's way to Vancouver?

It's true that it can my mushy... and that's a shame - because they often are not. They usually have a very smokey smell and taste of it. In my family, the fish is eaten with a fork (alongside but not on bread) and served with sour cream.

Honestly, I don't know anybody who turns it into a spread - they just wouldn't waste it. But maybe if it is mushy, it will at least let you salvage it.

Sorry your first taste wasn't all we've said it should be! YOu may just have to come to Winnipeg to get the good stuff :wink:

Mtigges- Any idea where the goldeye originated?  Was it smoked here or there?  I wonder if it was smoked here and frozen on it's way to Vancouver? 

It's true that it can my mushy... and that's a shame - because they often are not.  They usually have a very smokey smell and taste of it.  In my family, the fish is eaten with a fork (alongside but not on bread) and served with sour cream.

If one were to travel with smoked goldeye, why would it have to be frozen? Wouldn't it be good for at least several days, since it's smoked?

I'm thinking of bringing some back to Japan as gifts, but if I have to freeze it, it may not be the best choice. I do have a Tilia so I could vacuum pack if necessary, but I'd like to avoid freezing.

Pam,

I was also suspicious that maybe I had a not so good one. I'm pretty sure that they were smoked in the prairies. Kaplans says they "get them in every week" and I seriously doubt that they are smoking them themselves.

I suppose that they could have been frozen in transit, but I wouldn't expect them to be purposefully frozen. It does have a texture that makes me think it might have been frozen. We bought two, hopefully the second will be better.

Mark.

I don't think that it HAS to be frozen to travel.... I'm just wondering if it may have been frozen at some point, resulting in mush and less flavour. They freeze smoked salmon all the time ... maybe they freeze goldeye?

We have to find out what the shelf life is - if they are shipping it to BC, maybe they freeze it to prolong the life. Are they flying it or driving it?

Or else, it was just a bad fish :smile:

I have a question.  How do you eat Goldeye? 

A good smoked goldeye should not be mushy. It should be soft - but not mushy.

We eat them with some good pumpernickel from the German "supermarket" on Prior Street, some very thinly sliced red onions, a bit of hot horseradish, and of course some very cold vodka shooters.

We have also had it with boiled new potatoes, sour cream and chives - and of course very cold vodka shooters.

In fact I think you can eat this fish with just about anything - as long as you have those very cold vodka shooters on the side.

Oh yes, it helps if you have the Red Army Chorus on your stereo. After a few shooters you'll be calling your wife "Lara".

The texture should be firm, plump and moist.

I eat it lke a ravenous animal with good mustard and maybe some bread - if its lucky.

Never cold vodka shots though, must try it.

Wasn't there a rumour a while back that true goldeye was over-fished/extinct and being substituted by trout?? I've probably gotten that misconstrued but I recall something was fishy in the goldeye business.

Edited by shelora (log)

Wasn't there a rumour a while back that true goldeye was over-fished/extinct and being substituted by trout?? I've probably gotten that misconstrued but I recall something was fishy in the goldeye business.

I'm an avid fly fisherman. I don't keep very many, under 5 a year. But believe me what I ate was not trout. It turns out that they are quite distinct in their anatomy. They have only one dorsal fin (no adipose fin), and the dorsal fin is quite close to the tail. I went and looked at the second fish that I have yet to eat, Kaplans is definitely selling Goldeye, unless there is another species that looks like it.

edited to add .... I think I should go buy some vodka.

Edited by mtigges (log)

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I've finally ordered some Goldeyes. I placed the order through Mariner Neptune (they were very nice and helpful; thanks Pam). They will ship next week to friends in Canada who cross the border on a weekly basis and the frineds will then ship to me. Considering all the shipping charges, the fish better be good!

I have one last question: I was told that a red dye is usually used in connection with the smoking process, but it can be omitted if requested. If I was ordering the fish for my own consumption, I would omit the dye. However, because I am ordering for someone else, I wanted to get your thoughts. Is the red dye traditional/common? (The fish is for someone who grew up in Winnipeg (I'm guetimating 30-40 years ago), so I'd like the fish to appear as it most likely did at that time. Any dye thoughts?