• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electric citrus juicers

Dave the Cook

It's Priscilla's fault:

I have gone through many types of juicers, and keep on hand now only the old wooden hand-held reamer and a relatively new capitulation, an inexpensive electric bought two years ago when we set out to make perfect margaritas at home after our margarita haven, the Mexican roadhouse within walking distance, was undergoing some sort of mysterious hardly-ever-open reorganization.

The electric one, which might be a Black & Decker but I ferget, cost something like $14.95.  Prior to that I'd been through so many types, from my grandmother's enameled cast iron and aluminum Mighty OJ to a regulation Pyrex one-piece to the plastic one that fits on the glass receptacle.

The electric one is the best of the lot by a huge margin.  It ain't romantic, nor even good-looking, but juicing is one of those jobs for me to get over and done.

Edited in:  Course it lacks the "hand-held" part of the "Hand-held citrus juicers" topic.

So here we are. At $14.95, an electric model is pretty attractive, even when compared to the three-dollar Mexican hand job (did I say that?) that Brooks was touting on the hand-held citrus juicer topic.

Then I ran across an attachment for the little Cuisinart I own. It's even cheaper than what Priscilla has, and I'm told that they can make a lot of juice in a hurry. I'm also told they're messy as a two-year-old with an open jar of Smucker's Goober Grape.

Are electric juicers worthy accessories, or not worth the trouble?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Here's a solid answer for you: it depends.

I have a similar attachment for my Cuisinart--a larger model than yours--and I like it. I don't find mine to be particularly messy even though it does spin around faster than I think is necessary. I don't throw a lot of big parties but I'm glad I have the juicer when I do. I am also glad to have it when I'm in the mood for homemade lemonade or limeade but, honestly, that's only a few times a summer. I'd probably make it even if I had to do all the squeezing by hand.

So, for $11 I'd say that you would be getting a good product. Whether you have sufficient gadget-space or would use it when only a lime or three need squeezing I couldn't say. I use my lime press and the cheap plastic thing that sits on top of a bowl more than I use the attachment on my Cuisinart. Cleaning those is an easy choice over cleaning the Cuisart y attachment unless the amount of citrus is in double digits.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

Cleanup concerns and a general aversion to one-use appliances was what kept me righteously -- foolishly, turns out -- avoiding electric juicers all those years.

That Cuisinart attachment looks just about perfect, DtheC, esp. since the base unit you already own and use. Neatly avoids the one-use curse.

For me, there are three levels of juicing need. The first, half a lemon or lime, for mayonnaise, say: I squeeze the half by hand directly into the mix, picking out seeds as necessary. Second, a couple of lemons' worth, for hummus e.g.: I use the wooden hand-held reamer over a poury-thing receptacle. And the third level, enough for blood-orange juice for cocktails or lemons for lemonade or limes for margaritas or Valencias for straight OJ, it's straight to electric.

(I have largely overcome cleanup concerns in general; either everything can be bunged in the dishwasher, or the item in question doesn't add an onerous amount to all the OTHER stuff I'll be washing as I go along. Anything that doesn't earn its keep soon shows itself, and is eliminated. Are you listening, vintage Farberware rotisserie rig? I don't care how evocative you are!)

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I mentioned the one I have that is made by Proctor Silex which I believe works very well. The reamer does not start turning until you press the fruit onto it.

I have several of the ones made to attach to various mixers (I have a collection of these too including early Kitchenaids and Sunbeams) but with these the reamers turn constantly and my problem with them was that sometimes the fruit would slip out of my grasp and be flung off the reamer. Also most were so high that it would be awkward to use them unless the mixer was placed on a lower surface.

I also have the Cuisinart juicer (a gift) which also turns on as the reamer is depressed. However it does not have an integral container but rather a spout on the side which is inconvenient if one happens to jostle the juicer. I used it once and retired it.

I don't like the juicers where you throw the entire fruit into the hopper. I have an old Champion juicer which can chew up anything but I don't like the taste when the peel goes into the mix.

The inexpensive ones with the integral container are easy to clean, simple to use and if they stop working I can toss them out and buy a new one for less than $20.00.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I, too, once thought an electric citrus juicer was a ridiculous idea and still do if all you need it a couple of tablespoons. BUT, when the time comes to make lime pie or lemon mousse or anything that requires me to juice three or more fruits, I love it. As usual, aquired mine at a garage sale for a couple of dollars. :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Is cleaning that big an issue? If you've got an automatic diswasher, don't you just throw everything in there?

I have an auto dishwasher. I prefer not to put my Cuisinart stuff in it but I sometimes do. I also will admit to sometimes doing little more than rinsing when switching from limes to lemons (or oranges or grapefruits...) so, no, cleaning isn't that big a deal but, really, whatever additional time is needed to juice one or two lemons by hand is easily equaled by the time spent getting the juicing attachment from the cupboard, setting it up, juicing and washing the attachment or putting it in the dishwasher. As we're talking about only a couple mintues time max. I wouldn't argue with someone who preferred to go electric. I might, in fact, feel differently if my Cuisinart was a smaller version.

One more thought, though, on putting juicing stuff in the dishwasher: citrus pulp isn't always removed in a dishwasher and can get "baked on" during the drying cycle.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake