• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The best crab cakes in Western Canada?

shelora

Okay, crab cakes seem to be on everyone's menu, but who is exceeding expectations?

My vote is for the version I had recently at the Shelter in Tofino. Now that was a crab cake.

A crispy coating (hello Panko) provided the frame work for a fat version of it's often filler-filled brothers and sisters. Chunks of crab meat were revealed, steaming hot. A thing of unadulterated beauty.

Chef Jesse Blake, holds the crab chunks together, not with bread crumbs or eggs, but by the addition of halibut or sole, that is pulsed to a paste on the food processor.

Anyone else have a favourite?

My wife & I always order crab cakes whenever

we visit a new restaurant.

Both of us think the best we have ever had

was from Fresco's in Kelowna.

Best crab cakes.

Period.

Wen

... Fresco's in Kelowna.

Best crab cakes.

Period.

Don't want to go OT, but I have to mention that I was in Kelowna a couple of months ago, and we were very happy to have dinner at Fresco's. This is a beautiful open space with an open kitchen (open on two sides), extraordinarily well tuned cook staff. We sat right beside the kitchen, Chef Butters has the kitchen running very efficiently. We were there for a pre-event dinner (a concert by a major pop musician), so they got slammed right at 6. The house was full right at start of service and they were a machine. The wait staff was prompt, friendly and attentive without being over-bearing or pretentious. And of course the food was excellent. I had a beef combo, braised short rib meat au jus and a tenderloin steak. My wife had a fish dish (that's all I can remember), they were both excellent. The only problem with the meal was that we didn't have time to enjoy dessert and coffee.

If you find yourself in Kelowna, visit Fresco's. Probably our second favourite dining experience this year, the winner was West on our anniversary.

Sorry to go OT. Moving back on-topic. My parents live on seashore in a prime crabbing bay. The best crab cakes are the breakfasts the day after a crab boil party at my moms house.

Mark.

Sorry to go OT. Moving back on-topic. My parents live on seashore in a prime crabbing bay. The best crab cakes are the breakfasts the day after a crab boil party at my moms house.

What was that address again?

What was that address again?

I was going to say the town, but then I thought better of giving too much information!