• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Newport RI Restaurants

dodge621

• 4 weeks later...

hey,,,,

try the black pearl in downtown newport. it has a formal side and a casual side to the restaurant. both are just excellant! lots of local fish and produce done in a real creative way! enjoy!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I can recommend White Horse Tavern, the Black Pearl, La Petite Auberge and Scales and Shells.

WHT & BP insist on coats for gentlemen, which is a nuisance when you're traveling by boat and want to minimize packing. Both provide somewhat grungy coats off the peg. WHT is pleasant about it but BP can be condescending. Food at both is excellent -- and expensive.

paaly

• 7 months later...

Would like some input on downtown Newport seafood restaurants, a bit less touristy, if possible. Also, any recommendations for Retail Seafood stores with prepared takeout foods, like great chowder. Thanks!!

• 9 months later...

I have been to Newport several times. The one restaurant that I always go back to is called Yesterday's The Place. Yesterdays is a pub style restaurant with casual fare, however on the side of it is a small, intimate space that serves very innovative food. They have a great wine list and you can also do tasting flights of wine and beer.

A new place that just opened is in The Chanler called The Spiced Pear. It is supposed to be wonderful.

:raz: were on our way to newport for a extended winter weekend in early february. and new and exciting restaurants?? seafood,,upscale,,casual?? anything to recommend?? thank you!

One classic that I enjoy is the Black Pearl, on Bannister's Wharf. You can dine casually in eithier the tavern, or the semi-formal dining area, which would require reservations. Dont miss the clam chowder, made with clamato juice.

woodburner

where is yesterdays located fat cat??? downtown?? hmmmm... i also love the black pearl,,but i figured i'd give somewhere new a try if i just knew where. yesterdays sounds great ,,,i'll look it up when we arrive in the morning. thank you! :rolleyes:

thank you all for the replies! we found yesterdays and it was a fun place! just had a few beers from their 35 on tap and ended up going to a place in middletown called kj's pub. little jem with a really nice dining room upstairs. nothing too fancy on the menu but it was fun!, black pearl was closed so we couldnt go there. we also went by the prickly pear but there wasnt even a sign for the hotel or restaurant???? is it where the old cliffwalk hotel was?? oh well,,,thank you again,,,had a great time! wish we were still there! :raz:

thank you all for the replies! we found yesterdays and it was a fun place! just had a few beers from their 35 on tap and ended up going to a place in middletown called kj's pub. little jem with a really nice dining room upstairs. nothing too fancy on the menu but it was fun!, black pearl was closed so we couldnt go there. we also went by the prickly pear but there wasnt even a sign for the hotel or restaurant???? is it where the old cliffwalk hotel was?? oh well,,,thank you again,,,had a great time! wish we were still there! :raz:

And you got to watch a great game! :laugh:

• 3 months later...

try the black pearl downtown or jimmy's right on the water was recently remodeled,,,its about 5 minutes from downtown. yesterdays at washington square is a neat little place also. stop down at salas bar downtown and say hi to all the local fisherman,,,never a dull moment there! :blink:

I just came back from a long weekend in Newport. I stayed at the new Chanler Hotel. I wouldnt necessarily recommend staying here as they have allot of service kinks to work out, although it is a beautiful property.

The Spiced Pear Restaurant is wonderful. They do a chef tasting menu which you can also pair with wines if you wish. The Chanler is also opening a Tuscan outdoor cafe soon which should serve italian fare.

I also recommend eating at 22 Bowen's Wine Bar. Excellent Steaks and Excellent Wine List.

One of my favorite places to eat in Newport is called "The Place" which is adjacent to Yesterday's. Very eclectic fare, interesting martini's and large wine and beer list.

Have a great trip.

I've heard good things about The Spiced Pear, though I've never been. I haven't been to Canfield House in a few years, but when I did go, it served standard upscale fare.

Cheeky Monkey Cafe, off of Thames Street, is a funky restaurant with an interesting menu. Here's the link to their website.

http://www.cheekymonkeycafe.com

I've been wanting to try Asterix & Obelix (I think it may just be called Asterix now). Upscale, interesting French. The same chef/owner runs Boulangerie Obelix on nearby Spring Street, and they have the best croissants on the island.

Here's an interesting link with several well-known restaurants and their menus.

http://www.cliffsideinn.com/restaurants.html

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

TRY the stretch on broadway!!! Newports best and off the well beaten tourist path! a great funky culinary block...

NOREYS - fanstastic food, great atmosphere and a great great staff

Salvation cafe - Asian fusion seriosuly one of the best restaurants in Newport, DO NOT MISS THEIR PAD THAI... or the rice paper steamed codfish with wasabi mashed.. and the drinks are killer as well.

I would miss tuckers, as everything is covered in some sort of heavy sauce, my escargot died not from cooking but drowning. :wacko:

and all this hype about the spiced pear is overrated. its a hotel. get out. explore.

• 1 year later...

My lady and I are looking forward to going to a place neither one of us has been. Henceforth, what better than Newport during the jazz festival? We're looking for suggestions, doesn't have to be limited to dining. While we're not big jazez people, and probably won't make the festival,( this will give us more time with the locals) we want to know where to watch a ballgame, get a good glass of wine, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Here is my suggestion for high-end dining: http://www.spicedpear.com/ = Amazing views above cliff walk and first beach and the ocean. The restaurant has wonderful food, tasting menus, and wine pairings

Another suggestion, though not as fancy as above is a little place called "Yesterday's The Place." Yesterday's itself is a good bar and grill type place, but a seperate side room is called "The Place". They have very eclectic menu choices and have a wonderful wine and beer selection - and I believe they offer flights of each.

One place my husband and I enjoy visiting is a winery in the area called Sakonnet. It is about a 20-minute lovely drive from Newport http://www.sakonnetwine.com/ Newport will be quite busy so this may be a nice diversion.

Have a great trip - Newport is a great town!

Edited by fatcatbrew (log)

Don't miss the Inn at Castle Hill. It is a magnificent setting overlooking the water. The food is very good but I recommend drinks at sunset and then go back into town for dinner. P.S. - The Breakers is the nicest of the Mansions.