• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FYI: Thomas Keller on 60 minutes [Merged Topic]

lizard

So...'djall see it?

I thought it was fluffy and Astonished in that 60 Minutes way, but okay. Who is that annoying ladyinterviewer...

Du beurre! Donnez-moi du beurre! Toujours du beurre! ~ Fernand Point

Compare Emeril and Keller? Not as far fetched as you may think. Years

ago (before Food Network) I was invited to sit at the chef's table at

Emeril's and watched as he patiently showed a young J & W grad

on his first night in the kitchen exactly how he wanted the tomatoes sliced.

I understand that young man went on to become either chef or sous in

Las Vegas. I think this shows a lot about the selection and training

of people in the Lagasse organization.

In addition, on a earlier visit, Emeril did a special tasting menu for us -

and came out and described each dish. That meal would

probably rate as my third favorite ever - after the truffle degustation

at the original Ducasse in Paris and a special tasting menu done for

us at the French Laundary.

Edited by bcm (log)

Anyone happen to get a copy of this on VHS? I would love to borrow it. Email me if you get it. I wish I could get an email notification any time anyone posted anything about Keller at EG, I missed this post, and henceforth, the program. It sucks to be me I guess....

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

Did anyone else notice how young the waitstaff was at FL? They hardly appeared to be seasoned veterans. Were they all interns? I didn't see Larry or Milton either, waiters who have both have been there for many years.

I noticed only one quick shot of Larry when Laura was doing that balancing act with the plates.

I also was surprised to see how young the staff was and looking back could only wish I was that focused at that age. :wink:

Robert R

I loved the shot of the cook being spoken to about the risotto, who just stood there sweating. I wasn't clear if it was shot at the FL, or at Per Se. I thought FL, but then thought I saw Chef Benno in the background.

Overall, I thought it was nice but not too substantial. There was nothing that I hadn't read a dozen times before. I kept thinking, "No, please, God, no New York Ballet anecdote," but there it was.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I expect that by 2008 celebrity chefs will follow in the footsteps of hollywood icons and rockstars and enlighted us with their "learned" opinions on political matters?

SB (can harldy wait) :wacko:

I also missed the show, but got on the Net for 60 Minutes Wednesday and ordered a tape of the segment on Keller. There's a little tease there too, including Tony's comment about Keller's plates needing to be perfect. The tape will be shipped on July 13.

Is there something to "click" on for the tape to be ordered?

Most distressed that I missed this one:sad:

Thanks for posting about the tape!

I also missed the show, but got on the Net for 60 Minutes Wednesday and ordered a tape of the segment on Keller.  There's a little tease there too, including Tony's comment about Keller's plates needing to be perfect.  The tape will be shipped on July 13.

2317/5000

I also missed the show, but got on the Net for 60 Minutes Wednesday and ordered a tape of the segment on Keller.  There's a little tease there too, including Tony's comment about Keller's plates needing to be perfect.  The tape will be shipped on July 13.

Here's the link to 60 Minutes II (Wed): Visiting the Theater of the Mouth.

Here's also some contact info to get transcripts and/or videotapes:

60 Minutes Wednesday; 524 West 57th St.; New York, NY 10019; (212) 975-6200

EMAIL: 60w@cbsnews.com

TRANSCRIPTS: 1-800-777-TEXT

VIDEOTAPES: 1-800-848-3256

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

• 1 month later...

For those of you who missed it, here is the 60 Minutes segment with Thomas Keller. If you plan on viewing it more than once, please be kind and right click and save to your computer. I can't be too generous with my bandwith. Enjoy. :wink:

LINK

"Success is the sum of alot of small things done correctly."

-- Fernand Point

I wish I could get an email notification any time anyone posted anything about Keller at EG, I missed this post, and henceforth, the program.  It sucks to be me I guess....

You can get Google alerts, which is something I've been doing for some time now.

Just type in your e-mail name and select how often you want them. If you select "Web" or "News and Web" you'll get links that will include eGullet. There's no guarantee that the Thomas Keller you want to get news on is the Thomas Keller. :laugh:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera