• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FYI: Thomas Keller on 60 minutes [Merged Topic]

lizard

FYI, straight from the restaurant (note: I am not the concierge):

"Subject: Chef Keller on 60 Minutes Show

This coming Wednesday, June 22 at 8pm (both EST and PST) on the CBS network, the program 60 Minutes has a segment on Chef Thomas Keller.

Hope you are able to watch!

Gemma A.

Concierge

The French Laundry

Bouchon Bistro

6540 Washington Street

Yountville,CA 94599"

Enjoy!

--Liz

[Edited to clarify that I am not the concierge]

Edited by zilla369 (log)

FYI, straight from the restaurant:

Subject: Chef Keller on 60 Minutes Show

This coming Wednesday, June 22 at 8pm (both EST and PST) on the CBS network, the program 60 Minutes has a segment on Chef Thomas Keller.

Hope you are able to watch!

Gemma A.

Concierge

The French Laundry

Bouchon Bistro

6540 Washington Street

Yountville,CA 94599

That's awesome. Great news for my first time posting. Thanks for the heads up.

"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her" - W.C. Fields

Thanks, The Hopry

http://thehopry.com/

Hey, cool. Thanks for the heads up.

Keller-a-holics may be interested in this five year old interview from Powells.com, below. I remember reading it at the time and having my curiosity piqued, though I didn't really know much about him. Will be interesting to see what difference, if any five years make.

Keller Inerview: http://www.powells.com/authors/keller.html

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

Am watching this right now... they just showed AB... his comments on Keller:

"When you're cooking at this level, every single plate that goes out could be the end of your career."

I was impressed by the way the correspondent tried to convey the obsessive nature of Keller's cooking. Not in a sensationalistic way - just trying to help the viewer "get" the experience.

Bourdain's comments were fun, as were Laura Cunningham's. Best of all were the views of the kitchen in action.

Keller was not raging around the kitchen, belittling cooks, pushing plates of food into their chests.  He obviously doesn't know how to get the best out of his staff.

That's a different show entirely. :raz:

Keller did dish out some stern disapproval over the risotto. One shake of the head is probably enough to send a cook into a tailspin....

I was very pleased with the piece! I think CBS got Keller "just right" from all I have seen on him in the past .. Tony was, as always, very impressed with Keller and I always recall the meal he did on his show about TFL ...

Bravo to CBS 60 Minutes for a job well done ... beautifully done in fact!

Class will out ... forget the "imposters" who need television exposure for their histrionics ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Keller did dish out some stern disapproval over the risotto. One shake of the head is probably enough to send a cook into a tailspin....

i spent a couple days in the kitchen 7 or 8 years ago. thomas had a reputation as a shouter when he was at rakel, so i was interested in seeing how he operated. the only time i saw anything was when a line cook screwed something up and thomas went over to talk to him. it was very quiet, and thomas was just shaking his head, but the kid turned absolutely white as a ghost.

as a print snob, i was really amazed and impressed that a tv report was able (and willing) to get so much in depth.

as a print snob, i was really amazed and impressed that a tv report was able (and willing) to get so much in depth.

As was I! Thanks, Russ, for the insight you have shared here about Keller .. maybe he doesn't need to shout these days because his level of self awareness of his abilities has escalated significantly as he achieved his well deserved success ...

Am I the only one that felt the segment ended somewhat abruptly? I was nearly expecting them to come back after the commercial break and pick up where they left off. Regardless, I found it interesting. I was hoping to see a bit more of Per Se, but glad that Bourdain made an appearance. He's definitely the guy you want to interview if you want something glowing to be said about Thomas Keller. Seeing the restaurant again makes me want to head back up to Yountville ASAP. How beautiful were those Porcini mushrooms? I wanted a basket of them that very instant.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

maybe he doesn't need to shout these days because his level of self awareness of his abilities has escalated significantly as he achieved his well deserved success ...

that's probably part of it. certainly part of it is his ability as a leader. he is truly a great boss. unless you've been there, i don't think you can really understand how much almost everyone who works for him as completely bought into what they are doing. it's almost like a cult. they really believe that they are the best in the country, or at least that that's what is expected of them. those who don't buy in, don't last; it's just too much work if you're only there to get a line on a resume.

it's easy to be cynical about it from a distance, but i guess i've drunk the koolaid too. i've been there (repeatedly) when thomas leads teh crew after service in breaking down the entire kitchen and scouring every station. he doesn't just retreat to his office. there is no one in that kitchen who works harder at even the most menial jobs.

when a boss like that tells you he's disappointed in you, it's worse than anything gordon ramsay can dish out.

Great segment - I am always moved by the rabbit story and how he had to kill and dress a delivery of them on his own. That ingrained respect for the raw material and always remembering that something DIED for you to eat is something that informs and gives depth to his cooking. Incredible.

I agree with Soup - Food TV where are you? I would trade this one segment in for the entire run of Top 5, Secret Life of..., and Unwrapped. Well - I would actually rather watch white static then any of those shows.

i like tony's input about chef keller, the rabbit story, and why he stores his fish in a certain way. hmm..i was hopin' eric ripert was interviewed to give his input on chef keller..he did say that Per Se was the best restaurant in the world etc.

breaking down the entire kitchen and scouring every station. he doesn't just retreat to his office. there is no one in that kitchen who works harder at even the most menial jobs.

when a boss like that tells you he's disappointed in you, it's worse than anything gordon ramsay can dish out.

Of course and that is why his staff would "go to the mat" for him and whatever he wants .. pure and simple: the man has earned their respect the hard way.

A perfectionist is someone to be admired and the food world has chosen him as one of the best because there is true respect for what he embodies.

To even mention Keller and Ramsay in the same breath smacks of sacrilege.

To even mention Keller and Ramsay in the same breath smacks of sacrilege.

How 'bout Keller and Emeril? :shock:

<ducking and hiding>

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Did anyone else notice how young the waitstaff was at FL? They hardly appeared to be seasoned veterans. Were they all interns? I didn't see Larry or Milton either, waiters who have both have been there for many years.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera