• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yankee Stadium

jrichman

What dishes would you recommend at Roberto's or Umberto's?

Also, coming from Jersey, would it be better to go to Arthur Avenue first and then the stadium or go to the stadium and take a cab??

Karen any of the fresh pasta dishes at Robertos -- its a Northern Italian style place cooking authentic regional style food. Umberto's is more Italian-American traditional red sauce type stuff, but very well executed.

Roberto's is known for its pasta dishes "En Cartoccio" where they cook the pasta and the seafood in an aluminum foil pouch and open it up for you at the table:

roberto-past2.jpg

roberto-past3.jpg

I would drive to Arthur Avenue first, eat, and then the stadium.

By the way, if you wanted to exercise other options like shopping on Arthur Ave, here's the Arthur Ave thread with photos:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=19774&st=30

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If you are traveling by car, you will not have enough time to eat at Roberto's and make it back to the game on time. The traffic before a game, especially against the Sox will be brutal.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Another option is to park at the Stadium and walk over the Macombs Dam Bridge (a 10-15 minute walk) and try to get into Flash Inn for a pretty good although more expensive Italian meal.

Not as good as Roberto's but geographically more desirable.

As for Roberto's, I'm also a sucker for their eggplant and zuchini parmigiana. The appetizer size can be an entree.

Edited by sammy (log)

As sammy says, you do want to leave ample time for dining at Robertos, I would say about 1 and 1/2 hours to not be rushed. Umbertos or eating in the Arthur Avenue Retail market itself may be a better choice if you are on a tight schedule. You could also just stop at the Retail Market, grab a few of the Mikes Deli subs, and bring them to the game. Lots of people do that.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Adding on to Jason's post:

4:30 PM: Buy a chilled six pack of beer at the supermarket on Arthur Avenue

4:35: Down a dozen littlenecks on the 1/2 shell at Randazzo's Fish Market with the beer

4:55: Sample a few cheeses at Colandro Cheese across from Randazzo's

5:00: Buy a bunch of cookies at Madonna Bakery

5:05 Buy a few sandwiches at Mike's Deli

Head to the stadium

That's an excellent plan, really. And I may note in addition to the cookies at Madonia, get some cannolis.

The only downside to bringing the cannoli's is it greatly increases the chances of getting mugged on the way to the stadium. :cool:

Edited by sammy (log)

As sammy says, you do want to leave ample time for dining at Robertos, I would say about 1 and 1/2 hours to not be rushed. Umbertos or eating in the Arthur Avenue Retail market itself may be a better choice if you are on a tight schedule. You could also just stop at the Retail Market, grab a few of the Mikes Deli subs, and bring them to the game. Lots of people do that.

What is the easiest way get to/from the stadium and the Retail Market by public transportation?

The Yankee Tavern is a noisy, crowded sports bar on 161st Street with a noisy, crowded back room serving some of the best pastrami in the city. No kidding.

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

Well, went to the game last night but didn't have a chance to go to Arthur Avenue. We did get a sandwich at Mike's Deli in the stadium and we were very disappointed. The sandwich came pre-made and was 95% bread and 5% filling. On the bright side, we got a cheesesteak from Carl's Steaks - one of the best I ever had! And the Yankees won :biggrin:

I don't think they make the same overstuffed sandwiches for Yankee Stadium. They're made in the Retail Market and trucked over to the stadium that day. Logistically it would be difficult for them to prepare the sandwiches onsite.

Well, went to the game last night but didn't have a chance to go to Arthur Avenue. We did get a sandwich at Mike's Deli in the stadium and we were very disappointed. The sandwich came pre-made and was 95% bread and 5% filling. On the bright side, we got a cheesesteak from Carl's Steaks - one of the best I ever had!  And the Yankees won :biggrin:

After all of the warnings to eat somewhere else? :blink:

• 2 years later...

How far is Mike's Deli or Arthur Ave from the stadium? I'm heading up from Philly with a bunch of guys for the game next Thursday, but we're taking a bus so I won't be able to drive around anywhere. Is it within reasonable walking distance?

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson