• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yankee Stadium

jrichman

I have been going to Yankee Stadium for years and traditionally grab ball park food as my meal...welll my next game is a Sunday Night game and I would like to grab some food before the game outside of the stadium - any recomendations for a good place for some good pre-game food? Thanks!!!

:blink: Wendy's under the train. Go for the double with cheese. Cant go wrong there.

I have been going to Yankee Stadium for years and traditionally grab ball park food as my meal...welll my next game is a Sunday Night game and I would like to grab some food before the game outside of the stadium - any recomendations for a good place for some good pre-game food?  Thanks!!!

There's a great panini place that opens two hours before every home game.. great panini, guacamole, and a nice beer selection.. called the Press Cafe.. it's half a block from the stadium, if you're coming from the train walk north underneath the tracks, when you get to the north end of the stadium, make a left on that block and walk half a block- on the north side of the street, it has a guiness sign out in front.. they pack stuff up to go..

I understand that when the 'new' Yankee Stadium is built the on-site food options will be quite extensive.

Not sure if that also means an improvement in terms of quality...

If the Yankee organization decides to renew its contract with its current concessionaire (most likely they will), presently in charge of ALL food and beverage operations at the stadium, i'm afraid we won't see much change happening.

Despite its 4 or 5 restaurant type facilites, numerous food courts and food stands (all managed by the same company), the general consensus remains that from hot dogs to shrimp cocktails, food literaly sucks. It is absurdly overpriced too. Based on my experiences at both Yankee and Shea stadiums, it is hard to expect much being that in these types of venues, a greater emphasis is put on high-volume rather than on high-quality.

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

I was taken here a couple of years ago and I assume it is still there. It is a block up (towards the Grand Concourse) from the McDonalds which is under the subway tracks. Not bad Jamaican food, I had the goat curried goat because it was recommended.

Feeding Tree

892 Gerard Ave.

Bronx , NY 10452

Phone: (718) 293-5025 - The Bronx

- Caribbean

Edit It was reviewed in the NY Times you should be able to google it.

Edited by MikeyMike (log)

• 10 months later...

My boyfriend and I are going to the Yankee/Red Sox game on Wednesday, May 10th and are looking for someplace in the area to grab an early dinner.

Pretty much open to anything.

Thanks in advance!

Karen

Roberto's - you need look no further.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

You can go to Robertos, if you want top Italian food, or if its early enough you can eat at the Arthur Avenue Retail Market at Mike's Deli and have incredible antipasto and Italian subs to die for, until about 4-ish. If its a day game you might be better off doing that because Robertos opens at 5 and you want to get there as early as possible, it gets very busy at around 6:30.

An alternative to Robertos is Umberto's Clam House, also on Arthur Ave.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm a big fan of Roberto's but really not that close to the Stadium as it is in the Arthur Avenue section of the Bronx.

We've been going regularly to The Feeding Tree, a West Indian restaurant 1 1/2 block from the stadium on Gerard by 161st. Jamaican Patties, Jerk Chicken, Oxtails and Red Stripe beers.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

I'm a big fan of Roberto's but really not that close to the Stadium as it is in the Arthur Avenue section of the Bronx.

We've been going regularly to The Feeding Tree, a West Indian restaurant 1 1/2 block from the stadium on Gerard by 161st. Jamaican Patties, Jerk Chicken, Oxtails and Red Stripe beers.

That sounds like a plan, even if you don't care much for the Yankees.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

the only two places i've found within walking distance of the stadium are the Feeding Tree and Press Cafe..

feeding tree is detailed below, Press Cafe is found by walking north under the Elevated train tracks, make the first left you can (basically equal with the north side of the stadium) and you'll see a Guiness sign half a block in, on the North Side of the street.. CitySearch or something like that can probably tell you the exact address..

Open's a few hours before every home game, closes at some point during or after the game.. good beer selection, nice panini selection, salads, sometimes seasonal plates, good guacamole you can bring into the game with you if you're into it..

Thanks for the replys - keep them coming!

The game is at 7:00 but we will be getting there around 4.

Also, I googled Umberto's and it says it is on Mulberry - is this the same one?

Thanks for the replys - keep them coming!

The game is at 7:00 but we will be getting there around 4.

Also, I googled Umberto's and it says it is on Mulberry - is this the same one?

No, different place. The Umberto's you googled is in Little Italy in Manhattan. The one Jason mentioned is in the Bronx - 15-20 minutes from stadium.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I second The Feeding Tree. Good food and you can't beat the location.

Not to sound totally stupid but what is the food like inside the stadium? Am going to a game at the end of the month and as a Brit abroad was thinking of eating there, however i don't want to die..................................... :unsure:

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Not to sound totally stupid but what is the food like inside the stadium? Am going to a game at the end of the month and as a Brit abroad was thinking of eating there, however i don't want to die..................................... :unsure:

The food is awful and expensive.

A few examples:

Chicken fingers and fries: around $8.75

16 oz Heinekin Beer: $8.75

French Fries: $5.00

Cotton Candy: $4.00

Dinner for 4 at The Feeding Tree with gratuity $50.00.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

The food is awful and expensive.

A few examples:

Chicken fingers and fries: around $8.75

16 oz Heinekin Beer: $8.75

French Fries: $5.00

Cotton Candy: $4.00

Dinner for 4 at The Feeding Tree with gratuity $50.00.

Thanks for the tip! Still fancy an authentic new yorkers friday night at the baseball kind of meal wheres the best spot nearby?

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man