• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gongura Leaves

Can one find Gongura leaves sold fresh in the US?  

And if so, is there a source in NYC?

I love eating Gongura Chutney and would love to be able to make fresh chutney at home.

PS:  Gongura is the leaf of the Ambari Hemp plant.  It is also called the hibiscus cannabinus.  Hight in protein and with a great amount of ether, it is also good for providing energy.

The seeds of the plant are considered to be aphrodisiacal.  Stimulate the appetite and are purgative.

You can probably find Gongura leaves right here in New York.  They pronounce it "Ganja."  Just walk to a street corner that isn't very well-lighted and ask whomever you find there for it by saying the name of the vessel you want to cook it in, for most people that is "pot."  I am told that it is expensive, and that once you finish eating it you will be hungry for the classic American lunchtime snack made of fried and puffed corn coated with cheese powder known locally as Cheetos.

Also, the police really like these leaves so be careful that no police are around when you buy them or they will take them from you.  Also, be careful not to burn the leaves or the whole neighborhood will know that you are "smoking the ganja" and will begin behaving in strange ways to let you know that they are on to you.  "Smoking the ganja" will also likely bring the police.  

Good luck and good hunting.  Make sure you have some Cheetos handy or possibly some dry Lucky Charms cereal.

Damian,

Where did you get all this information from?  What makes you think Gongura and Ganja are the same thing?

Do you think it could be a spelling error?

There is difference between Cannabis and cannabinus.  

Or do you know something I do not.

Don't worry Suvir, you won't get into trouble for buying Hibiscus cannabinus in the US, friend Damian is thinking of a different, naughty, plant (Ganja'yi).Hibiscus cannabinus Hibiscus cannabinus

is grown in the US, (under the name of "Kenaf") for textile fibre and animal food. You might be able to get it for human consumption, but I would guess that due to its resemblance to the naughty weed, it most likely isn't that widely avalible.

Friend Damian is a very naughty person it seems.  Made something innocent take such naughty turns.  I was worried for a while.  And then I realzed the spelling was quite different.

I will look to see where I can find gongura leaves.  I love  the chutney made with them.

Thanks Adam!

• 1 year later...
Can one find Gongura leaves sold fresh in the US?  

And if so, is there a source in NYC?

I love eating Gongura Chutney and would love to be able to make fresh chutney at home.

PS:  Gongura is the leaf of the Ambari Hemp plant.  It is also called the hibiscus cannabinus.  Hight in protein and with a great amount of ether, it is also good for providing energy.

The seeds of the plant are considered to be aphrodisiacal.  Stimulate the appetite and are purgative.

Suvir, We get fresh gongura leaves in abundance in SF. Let me know if you still don't find it in NYC.

Edited by Sujatha (log)

I believe you should get it in any New york Indian grocery who sells fresh produce. I would only in season.

About two weeks back in Connecticut I was able to buy. I bought two pounds @ $ 2.99 a pound. Ended up making Gongura patchadi and some dal with my mom. About two pounds of Gongura gave me a 16 oz container full of chutney. It's not cheap, but glad you get it.

Now, I find it extremely tasty with steamed riec and some ghee and of course with some raw red onion wedges.