• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to take my parents in DC

Hi all,

My folks are coming to town and we're going out for dinner this Sunday night. I'm too poor to eat out very much, so I don't know "nice" restaurants as well as I ought. Here are my requirements...

-Must be open on Sunday and fairly late. (8pm is considered an early dinner in my family.)

-My father loves his AmEx card, so if he can use that, it's great, but I realize you all probably don't memorize what cards various restaurants take, so we can ignore this item... unless you just happen to know.

-My parents like their martinis before dinner, so a full bar is a good thing.

-They are pretty adventurous eaters and won't really shy away from anything but are probably more inclined toward fusion-ish food than a specific non-European ethnicity.

-Price: can be reasonably pricey, but not Inn-At-Little-Washington-pricey.

-In the city or in Maryland (unless you really think there's somewhere in Va. that we can get to just as quickly given our starting place in Hyattsvilel.)

-They love to eat at the hot-hot-hot places that simply everybody's talking about. Good, hip decor adds to this.

So, any suggestions you all can offer would be appreciated. (I feel like this is pretty wide open so I ought to know a place already, but I don't.) Thanks in advance!

-John

"If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?"

You could try Oya (Warning: utterly vestigial Web site) in Penn Quarter. Very new and LA cool. Good (red crocodile skin) bar. Haven't heard much about the food yet, but the chef has chops.

Or IndeBleu just around the corner. Also high on the style quotient.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

I would think CityZen, or at least Cafe Mozu, in the Mandarin Oriental would fit the bill. Not sure but I think they're both open Sunday. Certainly hip, talked about, good decor, take AMEX. It's in the city but on Maryland Ave. if that helps (lol)

I know it gets recommended for everything, but my parents really, really loved Zaytinya. Plus, it fits most of the other criteria (full bar, good design, takes Amex, etc. etc.) Or there's Sonoma, which gets extra trendy points for being so new.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Ditto on Zaytinya! Or David Greggory, 'tho I haven't been in the last few months. And what about the oh-so-beloved Palena?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I, sadly, haven't eaten there in a while, but I'd be eager to eat the regular fare at Cafe Atlantico. I enjoyed the Mini-Bar a great deal (order the New Mexico sparkling wine as the best accompaniement) but would just as soon order a regular meal there.

I second Marcel's, and the best "fusion-y" thing I've eaten lately was actually a duck-breast that Chef Richard had cunningly dusted with Asian spices and served with trompe de l'oil "fried rice." Specatcular, but may be a bit out of your range (my dinner for 2 was a little over $300 with tip and more wine by the glass than was strictly necessary).

I've always thought 1789 -- because of its decor and location -- to be the best "nice place to take mom and dad," in town. I ate there not long ago and the food was generally excellent and more adventurous than I'd expected:

"Though rooted in the hearty cooking that goes well with antiques and equestrian prints, Chef Ris Lacoste integrates a wide variety of cuisines into her menu – including Indian, Caribbean, Southern and New England – with excellent results." And, since I keep seeing Ris at the farmers markets weekend mornings, you know your greens are going to be fresh that night.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Well, Marcel's sounds good, but $150/person does sound like a little more than I would be comfortable with suggesting.

I forgot to mention that they really liked Cafe Atlantico when they were last here, which would be another reason why Zaytinya could be a hit. On the other hand, trying a different chef might be nice, even though Zaytinya sounds like a very different menu. Given that, I was leaning toward Palena, but, at least according to the WP review, it's not open on Sundays.

So, I'm leaning toward Zaytinya, but everybody's suggestions all sounds good, so I haven't made up my mind yet.

Zaytinya is a safe choice -- the food is reliably "good but not great" (though the desserts are usually excellent).

You can't just leave a comment like that out there, Silentbob. Is there something that meets my requirements and is GREAT?

Sorry, I didn't mean to disparage Zaytinya by calling it a "safe" choice. It's just that there really aren't any moderately-priced trendy places that are GREAT. You'll have to settle for non-trendy/great or trendy/good.

If hip decor is more important, go to Zaytinya. If great food is more important, go to Corduroy, Firefly, or 1789.

1789 is fine, but will seem downright stodgy to anyone looking for "hip."

I think the food at Zaytinya is back to being very good after a recent visit.

Palena is definitely closed on Sundays.

My visiting parents, who also like a restaurant with flair accompanied by a good martini, LOVED Charlie Palmer Steak. That would be my pick (assuming it's open on Sundays - I cannot confirm that at this second).

Edited by JennyUptown (log)

...and where else but Zaytinya can you find those cute, yummy, grilled baby octopi lined up on a plate? :biggrin: And don't forget the major bonus of Steve Klc's wonderful desserts!! :wub:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."