• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nijiya?

RTep

Yes, it is in the Japan Center. I believe the entrance is at Webster and Post. Don't know the exact name off the top of my head.

I believe it is called Nijiya.

edited to add name.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Nijiya's Mountain View store is slightly nicer, it's on the corner of El Camino Real and Highway 85.

Other Japanese markets I know:

Ishihara on Stevens Creek in Cupertino: many vegetables, poor fish selection. Fresh tofu, made in the back of the store (San Jose Tofu)

(unknown name) on Buchanan and Sutter also in SF Japantown. About half the size of SF Nijiya, which is only a block away.

(unknown name) in downtown San Mateo.

Nak's Oriental Market in downtown Menlo Park: small and cramped but extremely friendly "mom and pop" store. Excellent mentaiko, better than other stores.

Mitsuwa in San Jose: Clearly the biggest and best in the bay area. It's on Saratoga Avenue right next to Highway 280. It's a full supermarket size, about 4 times bigger than any of the other markets. There's also a Kinokunia (Japanese book store), a Japanese pottery store, a Japanese electronics store, and a Japanese bakery in the same shopping center.

Mitsuwa is having a specual Kiushu food event this weekend (Fri-Sun) where they fly in a mess of special food from Japan, especially sweets and fish.

(unknown name) in downtown San Mateo.

Suruki Supermarket

71 E 4th Ave

This is a small family-owned place that gets a lot of business. It has great fish, a wide variety of miso, Japanese vegetables, etc.

Nijiya's Mountain View store is slightly nicer, it's on the corner of El Camino Real and Highway 85.

Other Japanese markets I know:

Ishihara on Stevens Creek in Cupertino:  many vegetables, poor fish selection. Fresh tofu, made in the back of the store (San Jose Tofu)

I thought that San Jose Tofu only had the one kitchen for making tofu?

Their kitchen/shop at 175 Jackson in San Jose's Japantown is the only one I'd heard about. I've only been to Ishihara once and thought their SJ Tofu was delivered and carefully doled out from the back room to make sure no regular customers miss their tofu.

The Mountain View Nijiya gets San Jose tofu delivered (I think the delivery day is Wednesday but will check next time I'm in.

I hear the SF Nijiya gets SJ Tofu but you have to get there early in the day.

(and I echo the note about Mitsuwa--it's great!)

You gonna eat that?

I thought that San Jose Tofu only had the one kitchen for making tofu?

Their kitchen/shop at 175 Jackson in San Jose's Japantown is the only one I'd heard about. I've only been to Ishihara once and thought their SJ Tofu was delivered and carefully doled out from the back room to make sure no regular customers miss their tofu.

The Mountain View Nijiya gets San Jose tofu delivered (I think the delivery day is Wednesday but will check next time I'm in. 

After a little web search, I think you're right!

I thought that San Jose Tofu also made tofu at Ishihara because of the San Jose Tofu sign, the special tofu ordering window, and the rather industrial storage and prep areas behind the window. But I never actually ASKED.

You can get San Jose Tofu most days at the Mountain View Nijiya. Nak's Oriental Market also has San Jose Tofu.

Nijiya's own house brand of tofu is also quite good, it's more of a smoother, creamier texture. I think it's made in LA. San Jose Tofu's has more soy flavor, and is stiffer and more crumbly.

• 4 weeks later...

You can get San Jose Tofu most days at the Mountain View Nijiya. Nak's Oriental Market also has San Jose Tofu.

Nijiya's own house brand of tofu is also quite good, it's more of a smoother, creamier texture. I think it's made in LA.  San Jose Tofu's has more soy flavor, and is stiffer and more crumbly.

Thanks for the tip about Nak's, I hadn't thought to look there for SJ Tofu! And now you're making me want to try the Nijiya house tofu...

Edited by yakiniku (log)

You gonna eat that?