• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charleston: Shrimp & Grits, She Crab Soup

Varmint

We were in Chas'ton a few weeks ago....hub got shrimp & grits at both Hominy Grill and at Magnolia's....high marks for both places. As for she crab soup, I seldom see it on menus there any more; 15-20 years ago, every place in town offered it. Although we didn't eat at 82 Queen, I made a point to check their menu posted outside the door and they still have it.

CBHall

To me, the shrimp and grits are the best at Hyman's Seafood Company 215 Meeting St. .... the gravy is thick and brown and delicious and the bread soaks up anything left by the grits .. I had she crab soup there that was wonderful as well ...the menu ... rereading it makes tears of joy come to my eyes even now!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

To me, the shrimp and grits are the best at Hyman's Seafood Company 215 Meeting St. .... the gravy is thick and brown and delicious and the bread soaks up anything left by the grits .. I had she crab soup there that was wonderful as well ...the menu ... rereading it makes tears of joy come to my eyes even now!

We've eaten at Hyman's many times, although not on this last visit.....so many restaurants, so little time <sigh> I'm pretty sure I've never had shrimp & grits anywhere which featured the gravy you describe...can't quite imagine it. If I remember correctly, Hyman's version of she crab soup is very thick and creamy (or is that 82 Queen?). Anyway, I prefer a version which is a little less dense.

CBHall

I'm pretty sure I've never had shrimp & grits anywhere which featured the gravy you describe...can't quite imagine it.  If I remember correctly, Hyman's version of she crab soup is very thick and creamy (or is that 82 Queen?).  Anyway, I prefer a version which is a little less dense.

She-crab soup is just creamy and the full flavor of the crab is distinct in every spoonful .. perfectly suits my idea of how it should be prepared ...

Yes, a rich, full-flavored brown gravy .. somewhat translucent ... with lots and lots of shrimp ... they don't scrimp on their shrimp dishes ...

Hmmm... never scrimp on shrimp? Not a bad motto ... :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

One of my life's missions is to mention Bowen's Island and their shovelfuls of roast oysters in any Charleston SC thread. Especially when a writer is heading to Charleston.

Man/Woman does not live on she-crab soup and shrimp and grits alone, though it would make an acceptable last meal on my way to the electric chair.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding the gravy or sauce for shrimp and grits: I have seen many variations on this, from a simple butter and garlic mixture to the thicker, brown gravy (usually made with pork fat) to heavy cream to tomato sauce. There is no standard. 82 Queen even uses a barbecue sauce for their shrimp and grits.

As for She-crab soup, 82 Queen's is the best I have eaten anywhere on the planet; sooo creamy and pergectly seasoned.

Rick McDaniel

Senior Contributing Writer, Food and Drink

Asheville (NC) Citizen-Times

"In the South, perhaps more than any other region, we go back to our home in dreams and memories, hoping it remains what it was on a lazy, still summer's day twenty years ago."--Willie Morris

One of my life's missions is to mention Bowen's Island and their shovelfuls of roast oysters in any Charleston SC thread.  Especially when a writer is heading to Charleston. 

Are there any alternatives to the oysters at Bowen's Island? I am going to Charleston next month (at least that is the plan) and my wife is not a fan of the slippery little things.

Bill Russell

Yes, all manner of Fried Fish. But your wife and you might have to eat in separate rooms. Might be different since Mrs. Bowen passed away, but she proudly told me of the time she kicked the Mayor of Charleston out of the Oyster Room because he wasn't having oysters.

Also call ahead and make sure oysters are on the menu. For a while they were real finicky about the "R" rule, but that too might have eased up.

Hope you figure out a way to make it there. It's one of the great American restaurant experiences - though I may be using the term restaurant a tad loosely.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter