• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Do you expect to show up on time?"

alacarte

A friend invited mr. alacarte & me for dinner at The Grocery in Brooklyn. When the reservation was made, our friend was asked:

"...and chef Charlie asked if you expect to arrive on time."

Huh? Has this happened to anyone else? I've never heard of this before.

Edited by alacarte (log)

"...and chef Charlie asked if you expect to arrive on time."

As opposed to what?? An hour late? What's the point of a reservation if you have no intention of keeping it?

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the chef wanted to dazzle you with some sort of time sensitive amuse bouche (mini souffles, tiny baked Alaskas, I don't know :huh: ) and wanted it to be plated when you arrived? Even so, given that even a bad run at the traffic lights could cause someone to miss the nanosecond in the space-time contiuum when they've promised to arrive, you'd think he'd wait until you arrived to start anything.

Really it's just a puzzlingly rude question.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Maybe they were having a run of late commers that was scewing up their whole reservation system and this was the polite way of bringing it up.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Maybe they were having a run of late commers that was scewing up their whole reservation system and this was the polite way of bringing it up.

Perhaps that's true, but the more effective way of handling that is to say, "I'm sorry we're fully commited at 8:00PM (because of a multitude of 9:00 reservations). We do have an available table at 7:30, could you possibly be here by then?" and then let the customer decide. Never say no, and never be so blunt or oblique as to be misconstrued as rude. Give the customer an option and let them say no thanks.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm curious has no one heard of Nico Ladenis, I've dragged the book out and now will quote "A good restaurant will not be good for long if 36 or 40 people all want to arrive at 8:30, all want to sit down at 8:50, and all want their starter at 9:00. It will not remain a good restaurant for long if for every table of two arrives as a table for four; these people would not get into many theatres with two tickets....."

Prior to this he mentions about being a good business man and filling the restaurant, no empty seats. He then continues after this to mention about a party of 6 first two 10 min early, next two 25 mins late saying they'd only be 5, and the final member turning up 40 mins late, this table then complained because of his rudeness, yet they couldn't see how they messed him around.

He was one of the best in the UK at the time, but I've also heard another story where a customer came to the reception and tried to walk in, he gave them 10p and told them to make a booking (From across the road)!

I'm not justifying the response you got on the phone(That just sounds rude, unless he was late last time.) but if tables are in demand should a chef not try to get a service that flows smoothly(Espeicially if it is a food experince and not just grub, surely he's just trying to give his customers the best experience possible even on a busy night)? i.e 2 tables in every 15 mins rather than 4 in 30 mins all at the same time.

With fine food there's a fine profit margin, the tables need to be full and every customer needs to go away feeling like they've had an experience, not just a meal.

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

So, passionate, I am assuming that you agree that the query was a veiled attempt to make sure the diners arrived on time, preventing the total collapse of profits as outlined in your post above?

So, passionate, I am assuming that you agree that the query was a veiled attempt to make sure the diners arrived on time, preventing the total collapse of profits as outlined in your post above?

No I'm saying that perhaps he's a passionate chef that understands that his staff will give a better experience if they deal with 8 people every 15mins rather than 16 every 30 mins for example.

The service will be less rushed the kitchen wont be pushed they will have the time to create the experience and give the attention to detail that the customer has come to expect!

I wouldn't expect this kind of attitude of my local turn them around, relay 3 times restaurant, I am making the presumption that the restaurant is one of reputation has one sitting.

Nico wouldnt cook a steak beyond medium rare as his opinion is that any further and it wasn't at it's best, he used the best ingredients and felt they deserved the respect. If I remember rightly one guy sent it back 3 times to get the same steak back, he'd been told clearly that this was how it came not over cooked! Nico did have 3 michelin stars so perhaps he had more clout.

Stef

No I'm saying that perhaps he's a passionate chef that understands that his staff will give a better experience if they deal with 8 people every 15mins rather than 16 every 30 mins for example.

right...so isn't this a way of making sure they come at the appointed time, not 15 minutes before or 15 minutes after, creating the rushed seating at one of the times? What am I missing here?

right...so isn't this a way of making sure they come at the appointed time, not 15 minutes before or 15 minutes after, creating the rushed seating at one of the times? What am I missing here?

I was replying to the collapse of profits not sure we're missing anything, but I suppose you could say if too many people have a bad experience of course it will affect profits.

I was just trying to give an example as to why an establishment may be uptight about time(Though I do think its a bad way for an establishment to leave you after booking). As in "Do you expect to show up on time" I'd probably of replied I dont know! Unless it was some where I wanted to go. I dont know the establishment in question though. I just used a chef who had high values regarding the dining experience as an example.

Edited to add

So yes I think we agree, it might of been the use of veiled that got me lost for a posting! :wacko: Also being a chef I forget sometimes it comes down to profit I just want to give my customers the best experience possible, I appreciate that I may be part of someones b-day, engagement etc...

Edited by PassionateChefsDie (log)

Sounds like a veiled reminder to me. I haven't eaten there, but it's a very small restaurant, and maybe they've experienced a ton of late diners, wreaking havoc with their reservation system.

I don't know if it's so rude. It sounds more polite than demanding a credit card number and telling you you'll be charged if you don't show.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I don't know if it's so rude.  It sounds more polite than demanding a credit card number and telling you you'll be charged if you don't show.

Aren't folk strange people you see I'm less offended by this! If I miss my dentist appointment he'll charge me as a booking is a contract, a no show is a breach of contract.

We are all a mixed up bunch, but yes I agree does sound like a veiled reminder.

I would think the straightforward way to do this is to say: "Thank you for your reservation. As you know, we are a small restaurant, so it's particularly important for you to come when we are expecting you. We look forward to seeing you then."

Does that phrasing bother anyone?

Michael aka "Pan"

How about letting people know you'll only hold their reservation for 15 minutes if they don't call to tell you they're going to be late? and then giving the table away.

I would be a bit put out if I were asked that question, if I had not dined there before and shown up late. (Or maybe there is a lateness blacklist, and they knew the caller's name!! :shock:)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

At a place that Sheila and I have dined many times and enjoyed the food we had a strange thing happen. We made reservations for 7PM weeks in advance for a Wednesday night. We arrived early and made ourselves known to the Captain who explained that there would be a short wait due to an unexpected rush. No big deal things do happen but after twenty minutes I checked again. Still not table but I had noticed that other people who had been mulling around were being seated.

Long story short; they only had a few reservations for that night and we were the only ones in the 7PM slot. The push of people were out of towners in for some convention and decided to hit Greektown. So they decided to go for the quick cash and the heck with local reservations since most of the groups were from 4-8 people. The sad thing is the restaurant did not even offer an apology to us and after an hour we left and found another place that was not as crowded with a limited menu but decent food and service. We have not ever gone back to the other place.

Living hard will take its toll...

Some of the people I know never consider being anywhere ontime. This reminder is perfect. slightly veiled, but not offensive. If you are the type of person who is on time your response may be something along the lines of "yes, chef charlie will see me with bells on!" and if you are a 15 min late type gal a simple "yessss daaaaaaaddd" would surely suffice. :wink:

no, really, this type of reminder is plenty neccesary as some people claim to not even notice their 15-30 lag behind the rest of the world.

Edited by Luckylies (log)

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

At a place that Sheila and I have dined many times and enjoyed the food we had a strange thing happen. We made reservations for 7PM weeks in advance for a Wednesday night. We arrived early and made ourselves known to the Captain who explained that there would be a short wait due to an unexpected rush. No big deal things do happen but after twenty minutes I checked again.  Still not table but I had noticed that other people who had been mulling around were being seated.

Long story short; they only had a few reservations for that night and we were the only ones in the 7PM slot.  The push of people were out of towners in for some convention and decided to hit Greektown. So they decided to go for the quick cash and the heck with local reservations since most of the groups were from 4-8 people. The sad thing is the restaurant did not even offer an apology to us and after an hour we left and found another place that was not as crowded with a limited menu but decent food and service. We have not ever gone back to the other place.

A prime example why Nico gave his prospecting customers 10p and sent them across the road even though he was empty! It's the whole experience not just food on the table.

Should they keep doing this they wont survive long, over here we say a a quick penny or a slow pound in the quiet season it's the slow pounds that keep you alive.

My guess: Psychologically, people are overwhelmingly more likely to actually do something if they subconciously think that they have made a promise. By verbally confirming that your going to be on time, you've now made a promise and you feel far more compelled to keep it. The act of verbally confirming it is what seals the deal.

PS: I am a guy.

I'd be interested to know how they would have responded if you'd answered, "no, we intend to be about a half hour late." :raz:

But really, they're obviously asking the question because of their experience with customers showing up late for reservations. This can really mess things up, especially for a small restaurant. It is a blunt question (I don't see anything "veiled" about it), and one they have the right to ask -- as long as they are prepared to accept the possible consequences (e.g., dealing with insulted customers.)

I'm wondering if anybody has thought to call the restaurant and ask? Seems more effective than speculating on-line.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Not completely on-topic but relevant is the sign I saw at a "casual but nice" Mexican place in Ithaca NY just last week:

"We will not seat any party until all guest in that group have arrived"

Isn't there a thread on here talking about people who are always late for everything? 5 minutes, hour and a half, no matter.

We live in a society where many people feel no fault for showing up when ever they can make it regardless if their friends, family, or others have been waiting. Until people start showing up on time for a commitment they have made this is going to be the situation.

I will show up on time, much to the chagrin of my SO, because my best friend is ALWAYS late and it bugs the hell out of me. Because I am always on time I end up waiting at the bar, at the table, in the lobby feeling foolish when the hostesses, bartenders, servers are giving me the evil eye.

Please people. Give respect, show up when you say you will!