• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

South Austin Eats

LonghornGal

Recently I relocated to South Austin and now have ready access to a variety of old standbys and new restaurants. Just thought I'd start sharing, as it's much nicer inside in the a/c than it is working on the yard!

Flipnotics - This morning, Bosco and I took a leisurely walk up the street to Flipnotics for a breakfast taco. This interesting spot is a cafe on the top floor, and indie/punk clothing and accessories on the ground floor. The cafe sports a nice shady deck, a small amount of indoor seating, and some picnic tables around under the trees. I think you can sit with your dog as long as you are not on the deck. However, I didn't push it on my first visit, just parked B in some nice cool grass while I ate.

The menu looks good - fresh empanadas, samosas, breakfast tacos, wraps, and sandwiches. They serve coffee, tea, beer, and wine, and have live music every evening.

The morning service was friendly and fast. I got some delicious Guatamalan coffee and a Veggie breakfast taco. I'd never heard of such a thing (gotta be that 78704 influence). It was big, with a fresh tortilla and a nice layer of queso fresco sealing it up tight. Zukes, mushrooms, bell peppers, and eggs. The salsa was good too.

Inside there was not much in the way of decor, but I was impressed by a tv fish tank.

I'll be going back, it was a good spot, decent prices, and a nice scene. A good place for a casual friendly chat and to just feel comfortable.

You can find it at the corner of Barton Springs and Kinney Ave, just west of Lamar.

Edited by LonghornGal (log)

Did you see Charlie Sexton there? We used to live up the street from Flipnotics and I used to see him (and his vintage cars) there all the time-a nice perk!

Come make your way down south 1st street--there are some great shops (closer to Barton Springs) and of course, the "Tex-Mex Mile". I'd also recommend Freddie's (if you can find a freakin' place to park!) on S. 1st - huge outdoor patio, great burgers, and homemade potato chips.

Welcome to the zip code- "we're all here because we're not all there"

- that's my favorite 04 bumper sticker.

-t

Edited by coolranch (log)

Challah back!

Did you see Charlie Sexton there?  We used to live up the street from Flipnotics and I used to see him (and his vintage cars) there all the time-a nice perk!

Come make your way down south 1st street--there are some great shops (closer to Barton Springs) and of course, the "Tex-Mex Mile".  I'd also recommend Freddie's (if you can find a freakin' place to park!) on S. 1st - huge outdoor patio, great burgers, and homemade potato chips.

Welcome to the zip code- "we're all here because we're not all there"

- that's my favorite 04 bumper sticker.

-t

Thanks for the tips, I love recommendations.

today's destination: Alligator Grill - cajun style South Austin. I was in desparate need of a margarita after consuming waaaay too many samples of organic food. I needed some toxins to offset all that healthy junk! So we headed down to Alligator Grill. They had live music on the (shady!) deck and plenty of space. We started out on the deck, but since service was very busy, decided to move inside to the bar.

The waitstaff and bar staff were all very friendly. I was sitting near the server's station at the bar. Most places, this is not a good spot, but here it was great - I got three different opinions on what to order (all claiming a different favorite) and we learned about a new liquor (more later).

Menu choices:

we got the blackened chicken quesadillas - met all my requirements - adequate ratio of cheese to filling, plus the cheese extended to the edges of the tortilla. I HATE dry no-cheese quesadilla edges. The quesadilla was at least 3/4 of an inch thick due to the size of the chicken chunks. A solid representation of cajun-tex-mex fusion.

Shrimp and ?? Stuffed Mushrooms. I know there was some other yummy in the mushroom, I just can't remember what. These were an appetizer that I ordered for my meal. 6 good sized shrooms with yummy filling and rice. mmm! I would get these again.

Fire Roasted Vegetables (a la carte side): My dining companion, a self-avowed veggie-hater, liked these. I quote, "they have a good smoky flavor". I concurred , these were tasty as a side with the two appetizers.

Drinks: Marqaritas - rocks, salt, lime. mmmm.

Tuaca - a vanilla-citrus liquor. We had "sippin' shots" and were glad of the discovery. we learned of them from an order that one of the waitresses had, and the friendly bartender and waitresses explained what they were and got us a fresh chilled bottle to taste. Very tasty.

• 2 weeks later...

well, yesterday I was planning to eat "the world's healthiest breakfast taco" at People's Rx but I was so underwhelmed by them that I turned around and left. So then there was a dilemma - where to eat?

Taco Grande Yesterday's breakfast - fresh made breakfast tacos at the drive up sheet metal trailer on Lamar, between the Genie car wash and the Starbucks

$1.50 gets you your choice of 2 ingredients, extras are $0.25. The tacos are freshly assembled to order which I like. They are friendly, the tortilas are fresh, and they use a generous portion of cheese.

2 Thumbs up based on value and solid quality.

Taco Grande  Yesterday's breakfast - fresh made breakfast tacos at the drive up sheet metal trailer on Lamar, between the Genie car wash and the Starbucks

$1.50 gets you your choice of 2 ingredients, extras are $0.25.  The tacos are freshly assembled to order which I like.  They are friendly, the tortilas are fresh, and they use a generous portion of cheese. 

2 Thumbs up based on value and solid quality.

cool, I was meaning to try that place. I drive by it almost every day.

Challah back!

Lunch/Dinner today Alamo Drafthouse*

Today's big event was "Charlie and the Chocolate Facotry" - the 3:45 showing. My viewing companion and I were seated at about 3:10 and immediatly served a free "Wonka bar". We anxiously unwrapped ours, hoping for that elusive Golden Ticket - the ticket to a free tab!!! Sadly, we were denied that pleasure of limitless buckets o' beer on the house.

I had purposely eaten nothing since breakfast besides a couple of samples at 7-11 and Central Market. So I promptly ordered the Violet Beauregard Chewing Gum Dinner. Creamy tomato soup ("I can feel it running down my throat!") with foccia bread, Roast Beef (actually prime rib) with a baked potato, sour cream, and some spinach leaves for color, and Blueberry lattice-topped pie with whipped cream.

Now, the meal was not up to, say, Sullivan's standards. But for a place that is best skilled at pizza, fried stuff, and beverages, this was not bad at all. I'd put it on par with a Vegas buffet - edible, reasonably flavorful, and kept warm. The soup was very Campbells-esque. The foccia bread had a nice coating of parm and herbs - tasty! The prime rib was a generous portion, but definitely Choice grade, not anything better than that. The baked potato was tasty, although I would have liked some pepper. But the pie, oh the pie.... man, that was a darn good blueberry pie. It didn't even need the whipped cream to make it perfect. It was flaky, gooey, sugary, and fruity. I loved it. Does anyone know who supplies their pies?

Earlier, I had taken a bite of my Wonka bar and disdained it as "cheap chocolate". However after viewing the chocolate river in the movie, I happily ate it all, thinking "it's the only factory in the world where the chocolate is mixed by waterfall."

And no, I did not turn into a giant blueberry. But after that huge feast, I did have to be rolled out of the theater by oompa-loompas. It's 7 hours later, I'm still not hungry!

--LHG

* ok, technically I ate this up at the Alamo on Anderson Lane. But you could eat this at the one on South Lamar so it's not completely out of place. My ongoing Alamo favorite meal is the Asian Chicken Salad. mmmmmm. But now I'll get blueberry pie if possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight's dinner destination: Matt's Famous El Rancho

After yesterday's signing over 1/6th of my annual income for a new roof (they got done before the torrential thunderstorms! yeah!), and today's normal unpredictable and unusual day working at the gorcery store (today I sanded down and started painting our main meeting room, helped a customer order a turkey - who eats turkey in August?, and moved plants around the front entrance) I was exhausted and ready to just chill. A pal of mine suggested 'ritas. I suggested Matt's as I had worked up a big appetite!

A few months ago, a bunch of us met up after a Cookbook signing at BookPeople and went to Matt's to experience the perfect Puffy Taco. Today I went and enjoyed a perfect Rita - the Matt's Especial. Muy especial, indeed! The waiter suggested we could order a pitcher. If we had been 3 instead of 2 needing to go to work tomorrow, we would have gone for it. Instead we ordered single ritas and I got food, he just snacked on chips.

First off, Matt's has great chips. Thick, able to scoop up large quantities of salsa, and no fear of dramatic breakups on the way into your mouth. Yum. The salsa has good zip, I wish it was a bit chunkier (I'm a pico gal) but the bowl was cleaned by the end of the meal so we liked it.

I had a bowl of Chicken Tortilla soup - another great one, and so FAST on the service. For an entree I had the Enchiladas Poblanitas. I would have had the Camarones, but the aforementioned payment for a new "Weathered Wood" roof with state-of-the-art ridge vents had me thinking cheap. A tasty filling of portabellas, poblanos, onions, and cheese with verde sauce and Charra beans. Yum!

I considered dessert, but pretty much the only option is sopapillas. I have never cared for them. If only there had been Alamo drafthouse blueberry pie. Ah well, there's always hope!

I am SO freaking jealous!! I went to school up in Georgetown, was born and raised in Texas, and I LOVE Austin. I just moved up to a small town in Northern Colorado and I am so homesick for some good Central Texas everything! Especially the tex-mex. They have something called mountain-mex here. What is that??

We will be in Austin with some family this weekend. What are some moderately priced, family friendly places we can eat at? Anything other than Mexican or Tex-Mex is probably fair game (since we will be coming from San Antonio :smile:). We will be staying at the Embassy near the Arboratum.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I'm assuming that you want to steer clear of chain restaurants--in this particular part of town there are many, but there are others, too.

Right off the top of my tired head, a few come to mind: Andiamo, for wonderful Italian (see their web site at www.andiamoristorante.com) as well as the other thread in this forum on Italian restaurants. There's also North by Northwest at Capital of Texas and Stonelake, a stone's throw from where you're staying--a very comfortable place for family with a surprisingly varied menu, moderately priced. And somewhat less moderately priced, Cool River on Parmer Lane, though lunch is quite reasonable and a nice break in the middle of the day.

Hmmn... what else? Kerbey Lane right on Research Boulevard for a very reasonable, casual place for tasty, healty food... Of course, if you DO want the chain food, a quick drive up and down Research Blvd. will reveal all...

Have fun...

We will be in Austin with some family this weekend. What are some moderately priced, family friendly places we can eat at? Anything other than Mexican or Tex-Mex is probably fair game (since we will be coming from San Antonio :smile:). We will be staying at the Embassy near the Arboratum.

Elie

An odd alien wench

I'm assuming that you want to steer clear of chain restaurants--in this particular part of town there are many, but there are others, too.

Right off the top of my tired head, a few come to mind: Andiamo, for wonderful Italian (see their web site at www.andiamoristorante.com) as well as the other thread in this forum on Italian restaurants.  There's also North by Northwest at Capital of Texas and Stonelake, a stone's throw from where you're staying--a very comfortable place for family with a surprisingly varied menu, moderately priced.  And somewhat less moderately priced, Cool River on Parmer Lane, though lunch is quite reasonable and a nice break in the middle of the day.

Hmmn... what else?  Kerbey Lane right on Research Boulevard for a very reasonable, casual place for tasty, healty food...  Of course, if you DO want the chain food, a quick drive up and down Research Blvd. will reveal all...

Have fun...

Elie

There are LOTs of asian restaurants around. Din Ho Chinese barbecue is wonderful. It is south of the arboretum on 183 near Hong Kong market. Lots of small mom and pop vietnamese noodle houses as well dot the area. great inexpensive food.

Matilda