• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite hot dog

JenBragg

The hot dogs at the Jericho Beach grill (upstairs) are fantastic. I mean really fantastic!!

Tried the Ikea hotdog, can't beat that price can you? OK they are quite tasteless but for a calorie refuel it's a great value at 50 cents - The condiments alone cost more.

Best dog experience though has got to be at the Nat - Baseball, beer and hot dogs - I can now die and go to heaven! They have sauerkraut (something I love even though I don't seem to know how to spell it) and they also serve those really good pickles which you can load up on. They cut them like bread and butter pickles but they are those great kosher pickles. Granted the beer is rather pricey, but well worth it just to watch those boys of summer in their tighty whiteys, yum!

Just got back from Falconetti's Sausage Company located at 1812 Commercial Drive. 

This place is definitely on my list to return to.

Based on PaoPao's descriptions, we cycled up there for lunch today. Excellent. We had the yucatan chicken, thai chicken, sirloiner, and carmen brought out the veggie for us to try.

All were great.

Have to go back for the pork sausages. Highly recommended.

Well if we're expanding to sausages, I'd throw Koni on Granville and 69th into the mix as well. Just last night N and I had a selection of bratwurst, "Spicey Devils" and sweet Italians for dinner along with a homemade Caesar. Brat was good - very reminiscent of German street food; Spicey Devil had a good burn and was more pungeant than the chorizo they also make; and the sweet Italian continues to be my favourite - not overly sweet, just enough to bring out the pork flavours. With a bottle of La Frenz Montage 2002, it ranks among the top of simple but excellent dinners.

The Koni butcher, a German gentleman, also does a beef sausage, the chorizo mentioned above, and even weisswurst on weekends. And they carry a variety of pfeffer sticks.

Link to Koni thread.

Perhaps too much of a stretch for the Hot Dog thread, but I gotta plug the house made pate (regular or fine) which rules as well.

PICtray0082.JPG

Manfred's sausages out in Saanich - alongside Marigold Nursery - are the best.

He serves them in a toasted bun (specially baked for him) accompanied by his homemade sauerkraut, sauteed onions and hot mustard.

My favorite is the Nurmberg - herbal savory.

I always request that Manfred serve it on my dachsund tray (pictured above).

It heightens (or shrinks) the experience.

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.