• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite hot dog

JenBragg

By the way, what about Costco?  No one likes Costco?  Or, do they not serve good Kosher dogs in Vancouver?

The Costco's up here used to serve the Hebrew National dogs at their food counters.

Their current supplier is Olympic, from Mississauga, at least in the East. These are not like the Chicago product they had;they are not even Kosher.

The Costco's in Ont. sell 1kg packs of well smoked frankfurter links from Freybe's, of Burnaby, I think. How do these rank on the West Coast?

Freybe's is actually located in Langley now and I think they rank pretty high here and everywhere else. OK, so I'm a little biased, my dad works for them and I always have sausages in my freezer, but when it's time to buy some for any reason, that's what I buy. My favorite is the wine chorizo on the grill, with sauteed onions on a soft bun. MMMMM....so good...

Unfortunately the Vienna hot dog served at Target is NOT the same as the one served at Chicago hot dog joints. It is specially formulated and made for a roller grill. I had one this past Sunday and found it mediocre. Similar to a 7-11 hot dog.

I'm praying that based on your sig you have far higher standards than I, and I'll find the Target dog good. THen again you've eaten a 7-11 dog, so...

I LOVED Hebrew National dogs!  Good snap, nice taste.  The dogs they use now are just kinda ... acceptable.

A.

Dude, that sucks! Yeah, I do like a Hebrew National dog. Lately down here they've been using Sinai 66, which are good but I think the Hebrew National are better. You'd think that being Kosher there would be much less concern about mad cow. Oh well.

Rocky

I couldn't agree more about Hebrew National being the top of the heap. They haven't been available here for almost a year. On a grill they can't be beat.

I just picked up some free-range 'franks' at Whole Foods that were pretty delicious. Nicely spiced. My only reservation is that I recall a passage in Revelations about a free-range wiener product that heralded the end of days. I could be mistaken, it may have referred to organic doughnuts.

It ain't the meat it's the emotion

Unfortunately the Vienna hot dog served at Target is NOT the same as the one served at Chicago hot dog joints. It is specially formulated and made for a roller grill. I had one this past Sunday and found it mediocre. Similar to a 7-11 hot dog.

I'm praying that based on your sig you have far higher standards than I, and I'll find the Target dog good. THen again you've eaten a 7-11 dog, so...

Keith,

I've only had a 7-11 dog once and it was because I was pressed for time and hadn't eaten for awhile. I've tried dozens of dogs including quite a few by mail order. But that doesn't mean I have higher standards as taste is highly subjective. I do know that the regular Vienna dog, while not one of my favorites, is a quality dog and one used by over 80% of Chicago hot dog vendors. The one at Target is different, and in my opinion, vastly inferior. But that's not to say that you or anyone else won't like it.

John the hot dog guy

I was at Ikea (that's Swedish for "tons of good looking women everywhere you look,) last night and hot dogs are not a buck as previously reported. THEY'RE FIFTY CENTS! Bad rapper or bad dog, you pick. If I'm ever down on my luck I'm moving in near an Ikea, I could walk over and feed my whole family for like two bucks, three if we're hungry. Add the dollar breakfast deal and you wonder why you even bother with a kitchen. It's going to be total irony when the Swedes put Arnie out of business, kitchens will become obsolete, and he'll have to rely on Ikea hot dogs, the very thing that caused his downfall for his protein.

For what it's worth, I'm hoping for anther BSE outbreak. Keep Mr. Salverson employed.

Fifty cent hot dogs! That's like buying a clearance parachute, it's kinda one of those things you don't want the very lowest price on.

I'm gonna second the stand on the SE corner of Robson & Burrard across from Virgin with all of the excellent toppings and sauces. Recent New York trips have been generally disappointing (hot dog-wise of course), a boiled hot dog on a whiter-than-white bun with condiment options of ketchup and (wait for it...) mustard!

• 3 weeks later...

On our way out to Third Beach last night with Vera's Junior Dog in hand for Junior Mouse, we drove past a hotdog stand along Beach Avenue that I wish I could have stopped to photograph. No word of a lie, the sandwich board beside it read, "Cougar's Menu."

:blink:

After all, it's common knowledge that there's nothing a cougar wants more than a good all-beef wiener...

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

On our way out to Third Beach last night with Vera's Junior Dog in hand for Junior Mouse, we drove past a hotdog stand along Beach Avenue that I wish I could have stopped to photograph.  No word of a lie, the sandwich board beside it read, "Cougar's Menu."

After all, it's common knowledge that there's nothing a cougar wants more than a good all-beef wiener...

:shock:

BAD!

Is that where the cougars eat before they go to wine tastings?

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Omnitsky Kosher Deli on 49th near Cambie has homemade (well, in their factory in Richmond.. ) dogs for a dollar i think. They're kosher meat so there aren't any suspect cow parts in it (any part of the animal involved in digestion of food is non-kosher)!

They also have larger dogs as well, and they use kosher buns from Garden City bakery (they may or may not be egg buns, cant remember). Either way, they're delicious.

I'm thinking about 49th and Cambie. I'm getting a mediocre golf course, a mediocre instutute of higher learning, some nice condos, and that's about it. Do you mean Oak?

Well, according to the Jewish Western Bulletin, Omnitsky's is on Cambie Street... 5866 Cambie Street to be exact. East side of the street, across from Oakridge, just south of 41st Avenue in a little commercial mall.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Let's not forget - how you serve your dogs is just as important as what you serve.

I always travel with this handy oversized weiner tray featuring a realistic dog surrounded by playful hot-doggety characters. It's something I rent out - at a special rate - to eGulleters.

:biggrin:

Memo

PICtray0082.JPG

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Let's not forget - how you serve your dogs is just as important as what you serve.

I always travel with this handy oversized weiner tray featuring a realistic dog surrounded by playful hot-doggety characters. It's something I rent out - at a special rate - to eGulleters.

:biggrin:

Memo

PICtray0082.JPG

hey, i need that for my weiner dog!!!

not sure if this counts, but we had a damn good "dog" at the commercial drive festival. a bunch of restaurants were grilling italian sausages on the street served in warmed portugese buns and grilled mixed peppers. it was delish!

Quentina

not sure if this counts, but we had a damn good "dog" at the commercial drive festival.  a bunch of restaurants were grilling italian sausages on the street served in warmed portugese buns and grilled mixed peppers.  it was delish!

Welcome to eGullet makan²! (sorry, lazy typist).

I'm not sure if an italian sausage on a bun counts ... but they're damn good! Our local coffee place does them during the summer. Perfect with a Stella!

A.

On our way out to Third Beach last night with Vera's Junior Dog in hand for Junior Mouse, we drove past a hotdog stand along Beach Avenue that I wish I could have stopped to photograph.  No word of a lie, the sandwich board beside it read, "Cougar's Menu."

Yeah, Cougars. It's my son's favourite hot dog stand. We end up stopping here about twice a week as we bike past it on the way to the Seawall. The guy who runs it is a nice guy, and the Smokies are especially good.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

not sure if this counts, but we had a damn good "dog" at the commercial drive festival.  a bunch of restaurants were grilling italian sausages on the street served in warmed portugese buns and grilled mixed peppers.  it was delish!

Welcome to eGullet makan²! (sorry, lazy typist).

I'm not sure if an italian sausage on a bun counts ... but they're damn good! Our local coffee place does them during the summer. Perfect with a Stella!

A.

thank you, daddy-a!

ummmm, do you care to share with me where this coffee place is?? pretty please?~!!!

Quentina

ummmm, do you care to share with me where this coffee place is??  pretty please?~!!!

Bit of a drive for you I think ... it's Papagallo's, and it's in North Burnaby at the corner of Sperling & Hastings.

A.

ummmm, do you care to share with me where this coffee place is??  pretty please?~!!!

Bit of a drive for you I think ... it's Papagallo's, and it's in North Burnaby at the corner of Sperling & Hastings.

A.

i'll just have to add that to my "visit the parents" trek! thanks!

Quentina

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Falconetti's Sausage Company located at 1812 Commercial Drive. You can read more about them here.

Have to say this is one of the best Grilled Sausage we've eaten here in Van. After talking with one of the brothers, they we're telling us how they make everything there.

We decided the best game plan for trying this place would be a full assault. So we ordered a Charurice (their Chorizo), The Sirloiner, The Salmon, The Yucatan Chicken, and the Merguez (Lamb) Sausages. Carman cut them in thirds for us to try and one after another he started bringing them out. Interesting and complimentary sauces we're spread into the delicious home made buns as well as select toppings of onion and peppers. They we're all fantastic, but I have to say may favourite was the Yucatan Chicken, I just loved the spices and the Jalapeño in it.

Just when we though we we're done Carman brought out for us a Hot Italian chopped up in a bit of sauce. Our bulging tummies did not stand in the way of letting it sit around very long. Again, yummy.

The only thing that would have made this taste better would be a cold beer which at present is not available. Carman assured us in about a week or so he will be able to serve beer.

This place is definitely on my list to return to.