• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch joints in South Jersey

herbacidal

Friday I stopped in at Buffalo Bill's BBQ in Sicklerville, NJ.

menu at www.yourhometownpages.com (code#0132)

I had some really good buffalo wings.

Tender, not too much breading, HOMEMADE RANCH DRESSING

Sadly, I won't be in that area much anymore or I'd like to try a few more things there.

There's also a soul food joint in the same plaza that I was told was very good, by the same person who told me about Buffalo Bill's.

Also stopped by Dinic's on 168 @ Kings Highway in Mt Ephraim(?) last Monday.

Roast pork with rabe and sharp prov was good, but my complaint here is the same as with a lot of sandwiches, the meat's not mixed together with the other ingredients.

Tasty sandwich anyway.

Anyway, other than that, there's been a really cool emergence of tacquerias around my part of South Jersey.

Mexico Lindo @ 36th and Federal in Camden.

There's 2 other ones whose names I can't remember, one on Route 70 West in Pennsauken, in the shopping center with Dunkin Donuts just east of the Benihana's, and another on Westfield Avenue a few blocks east of Browning Road.

Anyone else???

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

if you like chicken wings, the buffulo wing sauce from the coop is the best IMO. they are located across the street from lindenwald train station on springdale i think? not sure.

for mexican, i like los amigos in berlin located on rt 73.

for good deli sandwiches, i like kabitz room on springdale rd in voorhees/cherry hill. theres a wawa there. i only tried the reuban sandwich and it was A+.

backyard bbq is always way better than what you can buy..therefore, i havent really ate anything out there that i cant do better at home.

Friday I stopped in at Buffalo Bill's BBQ in Sicklerville, NJ. 

menu at www.yourhometownpages.com (code#0132)

I had some really good buffalo wings. 

Tender, not too much breading, HOMEMADE RANCH DRESSING

Sadly, I won't be in that area much anymore or I'd like to try a few more things there.

There's also a soul food joint in the same plaza that I was told was very good, by the same person who told me about Buffalo Bill's. 

Also stopped by Dinic's on 168 @ Kings Highway in Mt Ephraim(?) last Monday.

Roast pork with rabe and sharp prov was good, but my complaint here is the same as with a lot of sandwiches, the meat's not mixed together with the other ingredients.

Tasty sandwich anyway.

Anyway, other than that, there's been a really cool emergence of tacquerias around my part of South Jersey.

Mexico Lindo @ 36th and Federal in Camden.

There's 2 other ones whose names I can't remember, one on Route 70 West in Pennsauken, in the shopping center with Dunkin Donuts just east of the Benihana's, and another on Westfield Avenue a few blocks east of Browning Road.

Anyone else???

Judging from the places you mentioned, I"m guessing your looking for 'quick, good, tasty (read non-healthy ;) ) ' places in SJ?

Have you ever tried the garlic wings at the Jug Handle Inn on Rt. 73? Not sure of the city, but it's near Maple Shade. Pieces of garlic all over the wings, very nice. Or the Moorestown Pub (though in Maple Shade, not Moorestown) on 73 has good wings. My favorite is Dadz on Rt. 38 in Lumberton (I think). They use Purdue wings and do the sauce up right.

You mentioned Camden, I'm sure you've already been to Donkey's? (sp?)

if you like chicken wings, the buffulo wing sauce from the coop is the best IMO. they are located across the street from lindenwald train station on springdale i think? not sure.

for mexican, i like los amigos in berlin located on rt 73.

for good deli sandwiches, i like kabitz room on springdale rd in voorhees/cherry hill. theres a wawa there. i only tried the reuban sandwich and it was A+.

backyard bbq is always way better than what you can buy..therefore, i havent really ate anything out there that i cant do better at home.

It's been a few years since I've been to the Coop (it's on White Horse Rd), but they used to use real chicken breast for their chicken cheesesteaks, and they were great (as were the wings).

I like Ralph's Market in Moorestown for roast beef hoagies--they make their own roast beef, and it is excellent.

I'm a big DiNics fan. I don't get there enough.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Judging from the places you mentioned, I"m guessing your looking for 'quick, good, tasty (read non-healthy ;)  ) ' places in SJ? 

That'd be my own first choice, but as much as anything I'd like to hear people just throw stuff out there.

Have you ever tried the garlic wings at the Jug Handle Inn on Rt. 73?  Not sure of the city, but it's near Maple Shade.  Pieces of garlic all over the wings, very nice.  Or the Moorestown Pub (though in Maple Shade, not Moorestown) on 73 has good wings.  My favorite is Dadz on Rt. 38 in Lumberton (I think).  They use Purdue wings and do the sauce up right. 

No I haven't tried any of those places. I've heard of a few, but only because Rich Pawlak mentioned a few of them in relation to an article he wrote.

You mentioned Camden, I'm sure you've already been to Donkey's? (sp?)

Been meaning to, but still haven't yet.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I wasn't talking about backyard BBQ, I was talking about soul food.

And I also don't have a smoker nor am I into doing it up that way,

and I know I would do worse at home.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

you'd be surprise what you could do with a little effort.

I wasn't talking about backyard BBQ, I was talking about soul food.

And I also don't have a smoker nor am I into doing it up that way,

and I know I would do worse at home.

As usual, I will suggest The Hard Shell Cafe on Rt 73 in Marlton (near the Rt. 70 Intersection)

I love their crabs!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

As usual, I will suggest The Hard Shell Cafe on Rt 73 in Marlton (near the Rt. 70 Intersection)

I love their crabs!

EEEEEK! I just found out that they closed in April! :sad:

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

The one on Route 70 West is called Taco House, it's just after the Goodwill Store and before the Benihana's.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 6 months later...

Herb,

The best place for a lunch "goodie" in South Jersey is the re-located Franco's Place in Haddonfield on Haddon Avenue. It's across from a bank closer to Kress Liquors than to Kings Highway. The institution closed down it's 35-year-old place in Westmont and moved to smaller digs. Of course, it's the panzarotti to order for lunch--an inside out pizza that is deep fried to the luscious crust of the best apple turnover dough that is all the best outside of an eggroll!! They patented the panzarotti. I prefer mine with mushroom, but you can get it with any typical pizza topping that they have. It is NOT a calzone or pizza turnover!!

Edited by South Jersey Epicurean (log)

• 3 weeks later...

The one on Route 70 West is called Taco House, it's just after the Goodwill Store and before the Benihana's.

The Taco House serves authentic tacos so don't be disappointed that they're not Tex Mex. Nice choices of meats too.

On the weekends their Tamales are wonderful. I don't think they make them during the week. They make different kinds. Ask what they have that day.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Don Franco's on Egg Harbor Rd at Hurffville-Grenloch in Sewell makes a terrific roast pork with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone...it may be the best broccoli rabe I have tasted, on a crispy seeded Sarcone roll. also a great variety of hoagies, and a promise of pizza and strombolis within the next 8 weeks or so.

I went to Tony's in Haddonfield today. For a while, I'd been eating there 2-3 times per week, but cut back and started brown bagging it.

His margarita pizza is excellent, as is the Sicilian, as is the chicken parm sandwich...you get the picture. :biggrin:

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I went to Tony's in Haddonfield today.  For a while, I'd been eating there 2-3 times per week, but cut back and started brown bagging it.

His margarita pizza is excellent, as is the Sicilian, as is the chicken parm sandwich...you get the picture.  :biggrin:

Agree 100% on Tony's Margarita pizza.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Tutti Toscani by Lamberti in Cherry Hill on Brace Rd. 8oz. sirloin burger cooked medium to order, topped with gorgonzola and carmelized onions, served on grilled focaccia, with a side caesar salad for all of $7 (takeout price). also lunch portions of pastas, including the Tre P, cheese tortellini in alfredo sauce with peas, prosciutto and parmesan for $6.50. very good food at terrific prices.

• 5 months later...

I have a few favorites in South Jersey. These are a bit scattered but I have been to each one recently and will stand by them.

Jim's Lunch on route 49 in downtown Millville is probably the best place I know for a real home cooked lunch. Jim's is a family business for over 90 years at the same location. I just love the roast stuffed pork myself. Turkey dinner every Friday and from what I know nearly 50 birds are cooked. Jim's is the real thing. Step inside and take a trip back in time.

Telford Inn in on route 45 in Mantua. Fancy dining room and a very comfortable bar area. I eat at the bar myself. Daily specials which you have to ask for are always good. Seafood bisque is great if you can't make up your mind about soup and the sandwiches that are made at the bar can make your day. Salds are good and sandwiches from the kitchen are fantastic.

The Sicilian Deli (take out) on route 45 in Woodbury has the best Italian style subs period! My favorite is the Anthony's Italian. There is no scimping on the ingredients. Be prepared to wait as the subs are sliced and made from scratch.

The Sugar Hill Sub Shop on Mays Landing - Somers Point Road in Mays Landing has one of the best cheesesteaks you will find anywhere. There is seating but no service.

Johnnie's Resturant on route 40 in Mays Landing is another great lunch spot. Open only for breakfast and lunch, Johnnie's still has the short order cook behind the counter. Sit at the counter and watch how the cook barely wastes a move when the lunch or breakfast crowd has peaked. Its like watching a artful dance!