• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Return to a culinary wasteland???

I'm off home to Newcastle for the Jubilee week and as I haven't really eaten out there for ages, wondered if anyone has any new suggestions for where I might go.

I guess the Cafe 21 empire is still up and running but other than that there seemed to be a bit of a dearth of decent establishments.

I'm happy to travel into Northumberland if necessary - was there a rumour of something decent near Morpeth??

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

A couple of years ago there was a very interesting, even decent, restaurant in an ancient stone building in the tiny central area of old Washington, run by an eccentric, voluble and dedicated chef who had been a stockbroker and decided he'd had enough. The two nights I was there he was open 'til late and then he and the entire staff had a party that went on into the wee hours. He was so good, the area was so unlikely, and his attitude was so unbusinesslike that I imagine the ancient stone monument now houses a hairdresser's.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Newcastle ! ?oh dear. i spent 3 looooooong years there.

dont bother going. its a shit hole. they know nothing about food. the only thing they know how to make is stotty bread.

if u go to fenham you can buy a curry for 50p and a house at the same time which you get for free. There is actually ONE establishment i would set foot in newcastle in the jesmond area. its a chinese place and the food there is overpriced for geordies (£4.99 a head) so you get semi edible food.

good luck. my advice: dont go.

Cappers, it's not very nice to call someone's home town a shit hole. It might be in your opinion and who knows, Gavin may agree with you, but somepeople won't. But we all can't live in sparkling southern metropolises

Gavin, how about Fisherman's Lodge in Jesmond Dene?

http://www.fishermanslodge.co.uk/

I'm sure there's a nice new hotel and resto opened up that way too but for the life of me I can't think what it is (was in the Caterer a few weeks back)

Looking at the Fisherman's Lodge website, I've found out what the hotel is and it's owned by the same peeps.

Click on the links section of the FL website and there's the Samling, Seaham Hall and Treacle Moon

Gavin

on the way up the A1 you may want to try McCoys at the Tontine, it's near Northallerton. Not been recently myself but friend did and enjoyed it, been there years so suggests its doing something right!

Cappers I'm glad you didn't enjoy your experience up north, people like you are best kept away from the cultured parts of the world. Yes there are some great restaurants in london, do you eat at ramsay, the Square, petrus every week? no i thought not. I'm lucky enough not to have to live in london but eat there regularly through work and even though i'm not paying for it begrudge the poor food and service i generally have to put up with unless dining at a 'recomended' establishment, which surely make up the minority of London restaurants, Aberdeen steak house anyone??

you don't win friends with salad

Hmmm, I won't bother replying to any of the more inflammatory remarks other than to say that Newcastle is actually quite a nice place these days (and that from someone who couldn't wait to leave for London).

Anyway I am back and can report for all Geordie gourmets that a trip to Seaham Hall is essential, besides being understatedly contemporary in design, and the staff being unfailingly helpful and friendly, the food is not half bad either.

Lunch was £19.75 for three courses and was as follows:

Chicken Liver and Foie Gras Parfait with toasted brioche and gooseberry chutney presented in a cup.

Sea Bream with Lobster and Pea risotto (yumm!)

Chocolate Tart

I see it has three rosettes in the AA and an entry in Michelin (no stars)

They also own (as noted) Treacle Moon anf the Fisherman's Lodge which I have yet to try

BTW Anyone been to Three Acres a gastropub near Huddersfield - food was a bit rich but tasty.

Gav

I had the (mis) fortune to work in Huddersfield for 3 years.  The 3 acres was the best place in the area, although that doesn't say much admittedly! It's been a long time since (as i'm now all sophisiticated and work in leeds) i've been but i gather it is still very popular from friends in the area. If it hasn't changed then it's a traditional style pub with bar/restaurant, just next to emley moor mast so you've no excuse for not finding it, however in winter you do run the risk of getting snowed in!

Gary, I've always felt that Huddersfield had pretty decent places to eat for a town of its size and location. Have you not been to the Weavers Shed in Golcar (which I've recommended elsewhere on this site)? I used to like Cafe Pacific under the railway arches when it first opened. And I had a good meal at Mustard and Punch in Honley about two months ago. The fact that it's about fifty yards from my sister's house helps, though.

Cappers, I wish you'd stop just slagging off Newcastle. What has the place ever done to you? Nice town, nice people, beautiful countryside just on the doorstep. I've not eaten there much. I'd live up that way like a shot if I could see how I'd make my living.

cheers

Adam

Hi Adam

yep mustard and punch is the other obvious choice, i only ate there once, as part of the FT Lunch offer and enjoyed it but it never seemed to get the accolade the 3 acres got from friends who lived and dined locally much more than me.

I used to work not far away in Fenay bridge, just off the penistone road. In those days i was a mere amateur in the food stakes (we spent most of our lunch times in 'the Star' which would only win awards for dextrous microwave use!) though so didn't travel too much off the beaten track, i have read good things about the weavers shed too but for some reason haven't come across many who have eaten there. If you wanted curry though you were in luck, the Nawaab in the town centre remains one of the best!

The Three Acres was just a stop off for lunch on the way back to London so I didn't sample that much. As I said the food was very rich and obviously aimed at a slightly retro crowd. I had cumberland sausage, calves liver with bacon and bubble and squeak followed by cappucino creme brulee with a mocha sauce. The tables were decorated with old menus from some stellar places e.g. Aubergine in the Ramsay days, Le Gavroche, Chez Nico etc. From the point of view of the members of this board it would be worth the detour just for the fascination of reading these old menus. The wine list was not bad but maybe a bit too much for the area eg Cloudy Bay sauvignon was £31.95 (cheaper at Seaham Hall)

Gav