• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Jalisco

BobL

I'm headed there this week and know that ALL tequila comes from Jalisco so does anyone know of anything I should look for? I am famillar with a lot of the importeds, El Tesoro, Chimaco, Padron, etc., but am looking for something special.

TIA

I'm headed there this week and know that ALL tequila comes from Jalisco so does anyone know of anything I should look for? I am famillar with a lot of the importeds, El Tesoro, Chimaco, Padron, etc., but am looking for something special.

TIA

Actually, not ALL tequila comes from Jalisco, but most does. The “Denomination of Origin” law has defined the area in which tequila can be made. It includes the state of Jalisco and some regions in the states of Guanajuato, Nayarit, Michoacán, and Tamaulipas. Chinaco, which you mentioned you liked, is made in Tamaulipas.

Try to find Tapatio, which is made by El Tesoro but not imported to the US.

-Marco

Marcovaldo Dionysos

Cocktail Geek

cocktailgeek@yahoo.com

Jalisco is one of my favorite states in Mexico if only because it harbours great beaches like Barra de Navidad and the whole area around Puerto Vallarta. One of my greatest moments in the state, though, was the train ride from Guadalajara to Tepic, Nayarit. You go through blue Tequila country, including Tequila (the puebla, itself, not far from Guadalajara) then through rain forests at high elevation where the Indian population is very friendly, then back down towards the coast to Tepic, near San Blas in the state of Nayarit. If you have a little more time than your regular 2 week vacation, you will not only find the best Tequilas (...and discover the original ones that don't travel out of the country) but you will eat the best food in the country and meet very friendly people. The plane ride from Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara shouldn't be very expensive and only takes about an hour, if I remember correctly.