• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EGGY BREAD

cappers

Hello

I make a very simple eggy bread (white bread in whisked eggs and fried in oil)

How can i make it different and unique? Im stuck as its getting boring and tasteless. i need to make my eggy bread come alive. Can i add any other ingredients or cook it differently at all ?

Your input is as always gratefully accepted.

thanks.

cappers

There's all sorts of things you can do. (I'm assuming that you're dipping your bread in milk and whisked eggs, rather than just eggs - or is this an English variation?) I make this regularly, and have been known use the following variations:

- vanilla and freshly grated nutmeg (my usual)

- chopped chives, tabasco, salt & pepper

- a wee bit of chipotle puree and chopped cilantro

- a spoonful of amaretto and some orange zest

- a spoonful of framboise (serve with raspberries)

- use a bit of creme fraiche in your milk

I agree with Jay's brioche suggestion, and submit that chollah is also a good choice. Stale bread is preferable, but not entirely essential - I made French toast (as we call it in Canada) this weekend with chollah that was still warm from the bakery, and it was fine. The only difference is that you have to dip quickly and fry right away.

You can also use wholemeal bread (in thick slices) to make something robust and chewy, in which case choose stronger flavours for your egg mix and accompaniments.

That said, I usually keep it simple and serve it in typical Canadian stylee with smoked bacon and copious amounts of real maple syrup - a combo that's really hard to beat.

Miss J