• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alcohol.... I've got plenty of it!

Sackville

I admit to knowing very little about cocktails, yet I find myself with a rather stunning and space-sapping collection (much of it vodka). Can you suggest cocktails that I could make from the following, without buying any more alcohol?

Cointreau

Smirnoff Vodka

Bacardi Lemon Vodka

Finlandia Cranberry Vodka

Wyborowa Orange Vodka

Polish Currant Vodka

Baileys

Creme de Cacao

Creme de Menthe

Grappa (sample size)

Famous Grous (sample size)

Scotch Whiskey (sample size)

Sake

Plus:

Rose Champagne

Lots of wine and beer of all varieties

It's a veritable fruit-basket, if not cornucopia, of vodka!

The only real standards that come to mind from that list are the tres-70's shagadelic Stinger (vodka or scotch both viable as a base spirit) and various Grasshopper recipies. And the inevitable Cosmopolitan.

With the able help of cocktaildb.com, here's a few choices of varying degrees of interest (including those mentioned above):

Flying Grasshopper

Stir in mixing glass with ice & strain

3/4 oz green creme de menthe (2 cl, 3/16 gills)

3/4 oz light creme de cacao (2 cl, 3/16 gills)

1 oz vodka (3 cl, 1/4 gills)

Serve in a cocktail glass (4.5 oz)

Vodka Grasshopper (variation)

Shake in iced cocktail shaker & strain

3/4 oz vodka (2 cl, 3/16 gills)

3/4 oz green creme de menthe (2 cl, 3/16 gills)

3/4 oz light creme de cacao (2 cl, 3/16 gills)

1 oz cream (3 cl, 1/4 gills)

Green Dragon (Variation)

1 oz green creme de menthe (3 cl, 1/4 gills)

1/2 oz Cointreau (1.5 cl, 1/8 gills)

Vodka Stinger (if your creme de menthe is white)

Build or Stir in mixing glass with ice & strain

1 3/4 oz vodka (5 cl, 7/16 gills)

3/4 oz white creme de menthe (2 cl, 3/16 gills)

ice, if building

Balalaika

1 oz fresh lemon juice (3 cl, 1/4 gills)

Fans

1 1/2 oz Scotch (4.5 cl, 3/8 gills)

1/2 oz grapefruit juice (1.5 cl, 1/8 gills)

Comforter Cocktail

1/2 oz fresh lemon juice (1.5 cl, 1/8 gills)

1/4 tsp sugar (1 dash)

1/4 oz Cointreau (6 dashes, 1/16 gills)

Caribbean Joy Cocktail

1 oz fresh lime juice (3 cl, 1/4 gills)

1/2 tsp sugar (2 dashes)

Cosmopolitan

1 1/2 oz citrus vodka (4.5 cl, 3/8 gills)

1 oz triple sec (3 cl, 1/4 gills)

1/2 oz fresh lime juice (1.5 cl, 1/8 gills)

1 or 2 dashes cranberry juice, for color

1 lime wedge, for garnish (1/2 oz, 1.5 cl, 1/8 gills)

Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Add the garnish.

To name a few....

Christopher

Can you suggest cocktails that I could make from the following, without buying any more alcohol?

Cointreau

Smirnoff Vodka

Bacardi Lemon Vodka

Finlandia Cranberry Vodka

Wyborowa Orange Vodka

Polish Currant Vodka

Baileys

Creme de Cacao

Creme de Menthe

Grappa (sample size)

Famous Grous (sample size)

Scotch Whiskey (sample size)

Sake

Plus:

Rose Champagne

Lots of wine and beer of all varieties

My suggestions :

The smirnoff vodka and creme do cacao (4/5 parts vodka to 2 parts creme de cacao with 1 part lemon juice) makes a quite drinkable Ninitchka - add a few drops of grenadine to turn it into a Kretchma.

with some limes and ginger beer you can use the smirnoff and probably the orange vodka to make moscow mules,

substitute either the unnamed scotch or the Grouse for the vodka in the mules to make a Mamie Taylor and perhaps use the other one with the cointreau (2 parts whisky, three quarter parts cointreau, half a part lime juice) to make a (pale) variation on a Leatherneck

I'm guessing the Bacardi lemon you refer to is a white rum rather than a vodka but even so you could use it with the Cointreau (plus lime juice and a tiny spash of cranberry juice) to make a sort of variation on a Cosmopolitan. The orange vodka would also probably work in this.

Try mixing various flavoured vodka with dry white wine and apple juice.

Drink the grappa by itself, cold , after a nice meal.

Put the creme de menthe down the sink.

Have fun, report back.

gethin

Vodka and Cointreau plus cranberry juice sets you you up to make Cosmopolitan's...

Personally though, I'd rather 'use up' the vodka in other ways and then instead use the Cointreau for Margaritas...

edited to add: I just saw that plattetude included cosmos within his/her list... but my rec re: Margaritas vs Cosmos still stands. :smile:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thank you for the suggestions. I forgot to mention that I also have Captain Morgan dark rum.

We are away for a few days but I will return later next week with pics of any cocktails we make from your suggestions :)

I second the Ninotchka/Kretchma. The unexpected combination of lemon and chocolate is always a hit with my guests, especially if you color the drink pink. They can't figure out what the heck is in there. It's a nice "beginners" cocktail.

But I use different proportions to make mine.

My Kretchma is 2:1:1 with a dash of grenadine, Ninnotchka is 4:1:1 (from the Bartender's Bible) I personally think 2 parts creme de cacao would make the drink far too sweet, but I'm also not above putting a maraschino cherry in mine, so do what tastes best to you.

I would think creme de cacao and orange-flavored vodka would like each other, also.

Edited by LindyCat (log)

I personally think 2 parts creme de cacao would make the drink far too sweet, but I'm also not above putting a maraschino cherry in mine, so do what tastes best to you.

I agree about doing what tastes best to you.  My proportions are more or less taken from David Embury. It is a sweetish/chocolatey drink , but in my view vodka based drinks have so little going for them that this is probably a good thing.

making a similar  (if slightly more complex because it also has Lillet Blanc) gin based mixture ( a 20th century cocktail), I'd really cut back on the creme de cacao and end up with a drink thats extraordinarily good, not just drinkable.

I would think creme de cacao and orange-flavored vodka would like each other, also.

absolutely !

gethin