• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Place next to Le Latini

ademello

Saw it as I zipped by in a cab, didn't have a chance to catch the name. Right next door to Le Latini on Rene Levesque, they built a new building just for it. Looks quite fancy. Any idea as to its name or the food? Same owners as Le Latini?

From my column two weeks ago...

Da Pizza a Nizza, or Nizza for short, formerly Da Pizzattaro at 1121 Anderson near Rene-Levesque (514) 861-7076 has renovated and reopened as of May 16th.

Chef Armand Forcherio’s past experience includes stints at Les Ramparts, Laloux and La Brioche Lyonnaise. His twin brother, Ange, who acts as Nizza’s maitre d’ and sommelier, last worked as sommelier at Toqué!. The brothers co-own the restaurant with partner Moreno DiMarchi, the exuberant restaurateur behind Le Latini, located next door.

Don’t expect pizza at Nizza. The menu is Provencal and features dishes like grilled and braised calamari, fish soup and hot foie gras for starters. Main courses include octopus ravioli, wood-roasted lamb shoulder, and a good selection of grilled fresh fish of the day. The sweet side of the menu offers tapioca with saffron, cheesecake with rhubarb sorbet and nutmeg ice cream.

The dining room has been completely renovated. The décor is best described as a sort of Morrocan 1930’s house, with two floors, wood panels, and a large terrace. Patrons can also enjoy Chef Armand’s tapas-size “plats” at the bar.

The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner Monday to Saturday.

My mistake, they called it new wave tuna. It is in their tapas section of the menu. It was a nice piece of grilled tuna, perfectly cooked, with little seasoning. Served on a type of ratatouille, can't remember exactly what veggies were inside, but 2 weeks later, i still remember that perfect harmony of flavours in my mouth.

I tried many dishes at nizza and I would definetly say that their mains are much more impressive than their appetizers. Mains being "outstanding" and appetizers being "good".

I also think this restaurant needs a couple of months to work out some service issues. I loved my meal but took long to get the food, my calamari weren't cleaned properly and the tuna dish i loved was the second one they brought me. When they brought me the first tuna dish i gave the waiter a comical look of disapproval and he understood that the tuna was overcooked and quickly ordered me a new one. I am sure they will have this all worked out very soon.