• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jelly Belly Jelly Beans

adegiulio

Wow, I had no idea Jelly Belly made so many flavors... I remember the Harry Potter beans being everywhere around school last year when Harry Potter manie took full hold over the kiddos... but I didn't know Jelly Belly made them.

Seems they have a sugar free line (with 25 grams of malitol, yikes, certainly not something to eat if you have anything else to do that evening...) but the flavors aren't as exotic... still might be worth a try. I remember only really liking licorice jellybeans anyway.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Recipes? Someone mentioned recipes?

Somewhere I have a recipe, passed along by a friend, for Easter biscotti made with multicolored jelly beans (Jelly Belly not specified). They look very pretty when sliced. Not sure about the texture, though!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

hate buttered popcorn...but toasted marshmallow are my favorite - makes eating them in the dark a little more exciting.

i also hate cantaloupe & bubble gum and just barely tolerate watermelon.

love the sours and almost all the other fruit ones. i'm always disappointed when i mistake butterscotch for peanut butter.

cream soda, cinnamon, coffee bean (actually coffee + cinnamon is very good) are tops on my list.

juicy pear is wonderful. you guys rock - now i know just what i'm having for dinner.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

I'll disclose up front that my company is a supplier to Jelly Belly, but I've loved their jelly beans for far longer than we've been working with them. My favorites are absolutely the sours; cannot get enough of them. I haven't tried the "Harry Potter" series but I have no "hated" flavors that I can recall. They're all damned good but oh man, those sours are the greatest!

And welcome, Angelica, to the eGS :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I LOVE the sours, whoever came up with those is my personal hero. After that, well, cherry is a high favorite but most of the fruit flavors are good.

I forgot they had cream soda. I may have to try that one again. I love real cream soda and the cream soda flavored Dum-Dums. Yup, I'm a weird nut.

I'll disclose up front that my company is a supplier to Jelly Belly, but I've loved their jelly beans for far longer than we've been working with them.  My favorites are absolutely the sours; cannot get enough of them.  I haven't tried the "Harry Potter" series but I have no "hated" flavors that I can recall.  They're all damned good but oh man, those sours are the greatest!

And welcome, Angelica, to the eGS :smile:

=R=

What does your company supply, the Jelly or the Belly?? :smile:

Seriously though...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

What does your company supply, the Jelly or the Belly?? :smile:

Seriously though...

A few processed fruit products; juice concentrates and purees. Very glamorous stuff! :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I like 'em frozen.  That's my way of restricting myself to one-at-time.  Oh, and I've tried many but like Brach's the best, especially the licorice ones.

I thought I was the only one that poached the licorice ones. Actually, I'm the only who will eat them... mine all mine!

I like the Jelly Belly popcorn flavor a lot, I know most people don't care for that one. Pear is nice and juicy. Watermelon!

I myself like them all. Even the licorice, which is weird because I don't care for licorice in other forms, especially inferior licorice jelly beans.

My friend had some "store brand" beans the other day (Sam's Club? I think they were Sam Walton's doing...) that were essentially generic Jelly Bellys. I was skeptical, but they were actually pretty good. Not as many flavor choices, but the ones they had seemed awfully close to the real thing. Methinks I need to get them side-by-side for an evaluative tasting!

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

I guess I'm in the minority here. I hate jelly beans. Just not my thing. I'm a total chocoholic. I never liked Skittles, Starburst or red licorice either. The only things that I do like that are similar are Sour Patch Kids. Every so often when I go to the movies, I can't resist the Sour Patch Kids. Maybe I would like the sour flavored Jelly Bellies. Might have to try them.

Recipes? Someone mentioned recipes?

Somewhere I have a recipe, passed along by a friend, for Easter biscotti made with multicolored jelly beans (Jelly Belly not specified). They look very pretty when sliced. Not sure about the texture, though!

Heh. When Jelly Belly fans talk of "recipes," they're usually referring to combinations of JB flavors that go together in some way--lookee here for their examples. (Hey, and somebody was wishing they had a Tiramisu flavor? Well, there's a combo here under "New Recipes" that they say is supposed to add up to Tiramisu...)

Now, using jellybeans in a (conventional) recipe, say a cookie or cake or something--that's also an interesting territory to explore... though I'm a better reporter than I am a baker so I'll leave the actual experimentation to those better qualified.

Heh. When Jelly Belly fans talk of "recipes," they're usually referring to combinations of JB flavors that go together in some way--lookee here for their examples. (Hey, and somebody was wishing they had a Tiramisu flavor? Well, there's a combo here under "New Recipes" that they say is supposed to add up to Tiramisu...)

OH! :laugh: My usual method is to eat one of each flavor, at random!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I'm really impressed with the Bertie Botts' flavors. Grass and pepper are actually pretty good.

Eating pineapple and coconut Jelly Bellys together...pina colada. :biggrin:

And I loooove the strawberry cheesecake flavor. :wub:

The Egullet mission statement is so serious! I am glad there are so many discussions like this one on the site. Does anyone other than Americans eat jellybeans?

Canadians... and I used to sell Israeli ones..

I like the Jelly Belly popcorn flavor a lot, I know most people don't care for that one.

I'm going to buck the trend here, along with Genny, and state that I believe that no more perfect Jellybean has been made than the Jelly Belly Buttered Popcorn Bean. To this day I'm amazed they got that flavor successfully into a Jellybean.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 1 year later...

We just had a Bertie Bott's Beans tasting of a sample of flavors.

All flavors include a sugary component.

Vomit - got that first sharp taste and didnt wait for more. It hit the spit bucket.

Sardine - I dont like sardines. This is a good rendition, if a bit sweet. Out it went. blech. If it had been anchovy...

All the rest were thoroughly masticated and enjoyed/explored.

Booger - I dont know what this tasted like, but not like my 4+decade old childhood memory of the original. A weak salty note at the end.

Dirt/Earthworm - we werent sure which. Very strong note of the bitter edge from herbs. Not unpleasant but not good either.

Pickle - just like sweet pickles. Very well done

Black Pepper - Nice heat, lingers. Could compete with Atomic Fire Balls if made in a jawbreaker format.

Grass - just like the lawn mower smells. Softer flavor than wheatgrass juice.

Grape Jelly - dead on. A nice antidote to the sardine

Cinnamon - yup.

Lemon something - nice and lemony - juice not just peel flavor.

Blueberry - nice 'blue' candy flavor.

No way I would eat these without checking the flavor guide first!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I have to avoid the end of the mall where the bulk candy store is, or I go in and buy a pound or two of every flavor available (mixed, of course, I couldn't afford to buy a pound of each flavor!).

The popcorn flavor's amusing from a technological standpoint, but the problem with mixing them all together is having to make sure you haven't combined jalapeno, coffee bean and blueberry in the same mouthful. But I even like generic jelly beans, as well as gummy bears, gummy worms, gummy cola, swedish fish, gumdrops, etc. There's something invigorating about having a gummy piece of candy lodge in your back molars and frantically trying to dislodge it with your tongue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

I really hate buttered popcorn. Also, peanut butter, and grape jelly. My favorites are Dr. Pepper, and especially, pink grapefruit. yum. I think the blackberry ones taste like soap, or maybe it's perfume, but in an oddly appealing, tasty sort of way.

Also, you wanna talk OCD about jelly beans? I get Jelly Bellys in those big boxes that have each flavor separate in a tray as gifts sometimes (I LOVE Jelly Bellys, and my whole family is aware) and I have this irrational NEED to have the same number of each flavor at all times. My first action upon opening the box is to count out how much of each flavor there is, and make them all equal in number. Because I'm nuts. I never buy the boxes if it's my own choice, because this is just so much trouble. Sometimes I dump out the bags or cans when I get them, right on the table (on the carpet when I was a kid :blink: ) and sort all the colors, mostly out of a curiosity about how much of each flavor is in there. And to put all the grapefruit ones on the bottom when i put them back in the container, to make sure I eat them last. Cause they're just so tasty.

Bagel?

This is kind of old news...so old that Wine X magazine has gone out of business...but Wine X mag used to sell jelly bean "recipes" to approximate the taste of different wine varietals. Clever idea. You can click through on the specific wines to see the "recipes" some of which are very complicated!

Wine Bar Menu

The margarita flavor is very very good. I have been known to "recipe" that with the jalapeno jelly belly for an extra zippy taste.

The raspberry and chocolate pudding is my favorite-ist combo.

Juicy pear is the flavor that wins solo.

and I like the buttered popcorn too.

(oh and the chocolate covered ones are called JBz and the Jelly Belly seconds (imperfects) are called Belly Flops)

Edited by lemniscate (log)

I was recently laid up for quite a while following knee surgery and jelly beans saved my sanity. For 5 weeks I had to spend 6-8 hours a day attached to a machine called a CPM, and I basically had to be nearly flat on my back-couldn't use my laptop, couldn't do much of anything besides read and eat-eventually I hit on jelly beans as sort of a cigarette substitute-I quit smoking long ago but the enforced inactivity got some cravings going! So I figured jelly beans would be worth a try, as they're hard to eat fast-so I got through a long succession of days reading and slowly, meditatively popping jellies. My favorites ended up being, not Jelly Bellys, but a brand sold at Wal-Mart, called Gimbal's and made in San Francisco-somewhat cheaper than Jelly Bellys but with excellent, clean flavors-47 flavors in each bag, including tiramisu, which I believe someone else was pining for....it's very strange, as I've never been much of a jelly bean aficionado, although I've always had a thing for licorice jellybeans and indeed licorice anything.....There used to be a jalapeno Jelly Belly which I liked a lot, as well. Since I've been back on my feet my jelly bean cravings have pretty much subsided, but I have a newfound appreciation for the little guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I love you guys! This site is fantastic and I don't post as much as I should, but this thread is worthy!

I am a Jelly Belly FREAK! In fact, upon reading this thread I sent my boyfriend a text saying "Take me to Sugar Heaven or lose me forever". Sugar Heaven is one of those bulk places here in Montreal. Bonus: If you can name the movie quote, there's a kilo of virtual Jelly Bellys (or is it Bellies?) in it for you!

I have so many favorites, but the Strawberry Daiquiri was my favorite as a kid. It was total forshadowing of a boozy young adulthood! I'll never forget the time I asked the girl behind the counter for 100 grams of Strawberry Day-queer-ee. She rudely corrected me, but I ask you, what sort of proper 10 year old knows how to pronounce Daiquiri?