• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Got You Interested in Cocktails?

slkinsey

. . . I've been into this cocktail thing for about a month now. . .

This little sentence over in Dave's thread on putting together a portable bar for his family vacation got me wondering about what happened a month ago that got him interested in exploring cocktails. I thought it might make a pretty interesting thread.

For me, I grew up in a family with a pretty strong cocktail tradition. My mother's father was a great fan of the Martini and cocktails in general. Being born in 1897, he had been just the right age to experience the last gasp of the great pre-prohibition age before prohibition as well as the brief resurgence of cocktail culture after its repeal. It was a tradition in the Kinsey household to have a cocktail and play a hand or two of cards before dinner, and that tradition continues today. I continue it in my household, albeit minus the cards. So it was a natural for me to believe that developing an affinity for a well made cocktail was all a part of growing up and learning to enjoy the better things in life. Since the opera business, and my repertoire in particular, involves a certain amount of historical exploration, it was also not surprising that I developed an interest in exploring the history of the craft. In many ways, the aesthetic of the current cocktail revival mirrors some of the elements of the revival in early 19th century Italian opera: Some things have changed, and there is no going back to "the way things used to be." But it's all about understanding the way things were done and doing something today that respects the spirit of the original times and that, to the extent possible given the times in which we live and the fact that we can't ignore the history that has passed and traditions that have evolved, presents the work in its original form.

This is what sparked my interest in cocktails and continues to hold my interest. What about you?

--

About three years ago I bought a new home that had a bar built-in. So I figured I better learn all about it so I can serve my guest properly. This is when I got really serious about it.

Growing up my family was not too keen on cocktails or alcohol in general. I on the other hand have always found the oddly shaped glasses and the whole mixing of ingredients intriguing.

I have always loved putting things together to make something new and exciting. I am a Software Engineering Manager by day which is where I spend my time improving processes through the use of technology. I have a team of Software Engineers, a Project Manager, a Technical Writer and Support Programmers. My team and I build complex projects to make something new and exciting for our users. There is a great thrill that I get when we deliver a product that exceeds the customer's needs for a project. Cocktailing is the same for me.

When I make a great cocktail for a guest in my home and they love it, I get that same thrill.

I never cared for beer very much, so when I turned 21, I wasn't into the bar scene. Then one day in college I had a Rum & Cola and I liked it, however I knew there was more than Rum & Cola. From that day I started experimenting with a variety of drinks. Being that I graduated from the University of Mississippi and the unofficial drink was bourbon with the motto of: "Put it in a cup!" I grew to love bourbon very quickly. My favorite drink is a Maker's Mark Manhattan, straight up.

I still have a lot to learn and I am enjoying my learning adventure tremendously.

Cheers!!

--

...the bar mix master has spoken.

http://www.barmixmaster.com

I too, grew up in a cocktail house. My parents always had two cocktails before dinner, children not allowed anywhere near them. As we grew older, we were invited to partake of the sacred cocktail hour.

When I studied food and bev management at college, part of the course included cocktails. Somewhere along the line I got my bartending credentials which served me well as I made my way through college. It just continued from there.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

My mom trained me to mix her favorite drink (a whiskey Manhattan, Perfect, on the rocks) for her at a tender age. I never liked the stuff much myself until I was a bit older. Past my teenage years even. :shock:

Turning into a Beverage Manager during my restaurant career has definitely sparked my interest, particularly in the creation of cocktails. I love to play with ingredients and come up with new and interesting drinks. I love to taste something and then figure out how to turn it into a cocktail. Last summer I tried a Pineapple-Mint sorbet and simply had to find a way to make that refreshing flavor combo into a drink. I finally ended up with Pineapple-Mint Mimosas since I thought it would be a lovely summer brunch cocktail. :cool:

And my personal tastes have changed quite a bit over the years. I used to really loathe the "brown" liquors, but now I love bourbon, tolerate whiskey and am gaining an appreciation for certain less "peat-y" Highland single malts. I'd never have guessed that a few years ago.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The discovery that alcohol comsumption by a member of the opposite sex tended to ease her conscious exclusion of unacceptable thoughts or desires.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Martinis, Manhattans, Gimlets and Whiskey Sours were a tradition with the adults in our family and their friends when I was growing up. Case in point, our first Siamese cat was named "Martini". (Was funny to stand on the back porch to call him back home...)

I learned how to make 'real' Margaritas in graduate school and brought this knowledge back to my greater family---much to everyone's enjoyment. Later I was so entranced with my first Sazerac in New Orleans that I bought Peychaud's Bitters and Herbsaint as gifts for friends and family, thus introducing another new drink. The other new drink I have successfully introduced to them is the Mojito.

Besides all this, I'm a biophysical chemist so I guess there was always some added intrigue re: the art of mixology! Didn't start drinking cocktails until grad school though, except a little at family holidays. Moving to SF in the early 90's cemented the deal as there were many great cocktail bars in SF and a revitalization of cocktail culture in the city.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I grew up in a cocktail house as well... you could tell the season by the contents of the liquor cabinet- Gin in the spring, rum in summer, and Bourbon for the rest of the year.

But what really engaged me in the cocktail culture was Hotwired's Cocktail column back in the mid-90's when they were still adding content. It was great! A friend and I would get together weekly and make the drink of the week... Paul Harrington and his cohorts inspired me to go hunting for Luxardo maraschino, Fee's bitters, and Amer Picon, and any number of other obscure cocktail accessories.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I remember my parents making cocktails for themselves and for parties. Then 37 years my father found a need for Alcoholics Anonymus in his life and the cocktails stopped. I usually drank wine or Chivas on the rocks until I discovered Cosmopolitans several years ago. I know many hold this drink in disdain, but even now I can really enjoy a well made Cosmo! My real interest in cocktails was fueled by our own Nightscotsman's reports of his Seattle cocktail parties. Everyone was talking about the Aviation. I had to have one! Then there were the "mystery ingredient" drinks, which included the Floridita. The Dale De Groff Q&A was the icing on the cake. I bought Dale's book and there has been no turning back. :biggrin: This forum has led me to Drink Boy, and a variety of other sites which have created the need to clear out much of my kitchen storage space for liquor. We had over 90 different spirits as last count. :wacko: Friends and family expect new and exciting cocktails when we entertain. We try to exceed their expectations!

This is the first forum I check everyday when I log on to egullet! Life is good!

KathyM

My parents were not big cocktail drinkers; Dad would have bourbon on the rocks and Mom drank gin and bitter lemon or tonic, but they were just as likely to drink a beer or glass of wine before dinner as a mixed drink.

My real interest in cocktails started when I stumbled on the old AOL spirits and cocktails discussion board (moderated by Dr. Cocktail). It really blossomed about 10 years ago when I bought a copy of Paul Harrington's cocktail book. I started mixing whatever drinks I could with the liquor I had on hand, and then started searching out the harder to find ingredients. Pretty soon I was making up my own drinks as well.

My family was not really into drinking, outside of the random glass of bad New York State sparkling wine drunk while watching New Year's Eve festivities on TV. Aside from some clandestine dabbling in cheap booze with high-school buddies, I didn't get my first real education in alcohol until college. As this was at Fair Hahvahd, there was not only the usual collegiate quantity-over-quality beer-swilling going on, but also some adventures into more hoity-toity alcoholic aspirations, including cocktailage. I was introduced to the joys of the martini by a member of our little posse who had a definite flair for mixing a good stiff dry one.

In fact, one of my fondest college memories was attending a school football game with my posse, accompanied by a thermos full of ice-cold martini--our martini maestro even brought along little plastic cocktail cups and a small jar of olives. We positioned ourselves behind the band, and proceeded to toast every touchdown scored by the opposing team that day (of which there were several) by rising to our feet, raising our glasses, pronoucing a unison "OH SHIT!" and draining our drinks. By about the fourth enemy touchdown, we were pretty well shnockered and had our own little audience (including the band, also well-lit by now) waiting for and applauding our performance. (It should be noted here that getting shit-faced on high-quality booze at football games is pretty much a Harvard tradition--it's really something to see freshman and 25th-reunion alumni swilling from hip flasks with equal abandon).

But my cocktail fascination really took off for the next level--along with a lot of people's, it seems--in the latter 1990s. I was living in Seattle at the time, and had a new posse, mainly technogeeks of various flavors, all with a definite interest in funky alternative urban culture--which included cocktailinos. We'd get together in cocktail bars of all sorts, from dives to high-falutin' joints, order drinks and compare notes. Or we'd gather for parties at each other's abodes and try out nifty concoctions we hadn't heard of before (this is where I first had a Moscow Mule, which is a wonderfully tasty drink). And it was during this time that I discovered the pleasures of a well-made Manhattan -- and the agony of all the sorry excuses for same served by too many places one would expect to have at least a little more clue.

there wasn't the cocktail background in my house. my grandfather might have "Old Granddad with a splash - and make it a small splash". my mom drank bicardi and club *SHUDDER*. i never really drank beer but had an affinity for tequila(prefered it straight) and discovered martinis at an early age.

i am now just starting on my cocktail journey - learning more and trying different things. actually it started with sam and kathleen's gimlet frenzy about a year or so ago. bought a tiny cocktail shaker, gin and took them to florida where i used key limes to make up my afternoon cocktail. :smile:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

The sheer adult-ness and authority when ordering a cocktail - beefeater gin martini, straight up, olives - instilled in me by watching many, many old movies and all those fabulous cocktail dresses of the 50's and 60's.

Edited by shelora (log)

I was helping my friend Jim pack his things for a long-distance out-of-state move. As we opened the cupboard where he kept his liquor stash, he said "well, let's make a drink, and then I think you should take all of this home with you. I'm not about to try to pack this stuff up." Granted, it was not a huge collection, but it contained enough of the basics that got me exploring through the library, asking the question, "Ok, now what can I make with this stuff?" I believe that initial collection included Tanqueray, Jack Daniel's, Absolut, Midori, Kahlua, Bailey's, M&R Dry Vermouth, some rotgut tequila, and certainly a few more things that I cannot remember. It wasn't long before I invested in a shaker, strainer, jigger, some glassware, etc.

That was three years ago. Though my friend's collection has long since gone through a turnover, I still refer to the cabinet where I keep liquor as "Uncle Jim's Liquor Cabinet".

In other words, my interest in cocktails had its genesis from pure pragmatism - I was suddenly given a respectable amount of ingredients for which I had to find a use.

Cheers!

Great thread, Sam.

In vino veritas.

It's all Sam's doing.

Well, Sam and Nick & Nora Charles.

Seriously.

Ok, I'm editing to explain a little, if anyone cares. My parents are not really "cocktail" people, per se, more wine/beer people (they had a beer keg with a tap in our house till I was about 18!). In college, I mostly drank, well, pitchers of beer, and occasionally a shot of bad tequila or seven (or a shot of root beer schapps dropped into a beer. I don't want to think about that now), and maybe a screwdriver or a margarita or eight at a cast party, or one of those frozen mostrosities at the bars where they serve 'em out of big ol' machines. Later, my ex-husband, er, well, mostly a Budweiser or Miller Lite (or illegal substance) guy (yeah, I know).

The Thin Man movies, which I originally watched back in college, made me curious about the martini - it seemed so GLAMOROUS!

Sam introduced me to the joys of real mixed drinks (yes, I know, the margarita is a real mixed drink), the ones you drink because they taste amazing and look cool. I was thrilled to discover that they really are as glamorous as they seem when Nick & Nora drink 'em.

Now I have to go home to watch The Thin Man again. Drink in hand, of course.

K

Edited by bergerka (log)

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I came of drinking age in San Francisco in the early nineties. I had my first legal cocktail at Trader Vic's (a mai tai of course!). It was a great time and city for cocktails. I drank Irish coffees in the fog at the place it all started, Buena Vista, negronis and picon punch in seedy bars in North Beach, martinis at Zam Zam or the Latin America Club while we'd wait to eat at Esperpento (back when the Mission was a slightly seedy place), sangria at Cha Cha Cha, and all kinds of great drinks at this place in Emoryville after we'd go listen to jazz. Then I moved to Chicago and followed the weekly articles Paul Harrington wrote on hotwired (and he'd even answer emails). It turned out he was the guy working at the bar in Emoryville. I didn't even know that some people thought a martini was made with vodka instead of gin until I moved out of SF. Sigh.

regards,

trillium

Aside from the (written in stone) 4 'clock cocktail hour for all (kids and adults) that my grandfather lovingly enforced (sprite and 3 maraschino, or later white russian milshakes for the younglings) It took off when I married into a cocktail family. It was the christmastime manhattan that gave me my first cocktail as tradition. Now i'm looking for an event that doesn't yet have a specific drink associated with it.

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

I had my first legal cocktail at Trader Vic's (a mai tai of course!). 

Shouldn't that have been a Pina Colada? Oh yeah, that was the werewolf :smile:

Kevin

There is something about a Martini,

A tingle remarkably pleasant;

A yellow, a mellow Martini;

I wish I had one at present.

There is something about a Martini,

Ere the dining and dancing begin,

And to tell you the truth,

It is not the vermouth--

I think that perhaps it's the gin.

- Ogden Nash

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Wow - you people are hitting on all the major influences, from Nick and Nora to chemistry.

My parents weren't real big on cocktails. My mom rarely drank anything other than a small glass of wine and my dad was always more into CC on the rocks. But they did teach us an appreciation for fine food and beverages and cocktails seemed an important part of that. I'm a chemist as well, so anything that involves precise mixing of select ingredients that results in a wholly new substance is very appealing. What iced it, though, was when I got married. My wife's from Green Bay, so I was immediately (and I mean IMMEDIATELY) required to learn the proper proportions for a good brandy manhattan. Things branched out from there, but without proper training I have a long way to go.

And then there's Nick and Nora. No one could ever make martinis (or anything else for that matter) seem more sophisticated than they could. Although I always wondered how they could go from a couple of eye-openers to a three martini lunch to a few in the afternoon to pre-dinner cocktails to several with the meal before heading out to the clubs for some serious drinking. I'd be dead after three days of that! ;-)

Mike