• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

North Louisiana Favorites

Becca Porter

I live in Monroe. We are certainly not known for our food. I know Mayhaw Man is from here, and I am jealous he got out. It is hard to be a food-lover here, but I have managed to come across a couple high points.

The first is a small restaurant in the small town of Spearsville, Louisiana. It's called Hollis Seafood and is outstanding. I am not a buffet fan, but this one works it well. People drive from all over to eat there. However, its really not that well known. It has the full seafood spread, all the country vegetables, crawfish etouffee, and the best blackberry cobbler I've had out of my own house. It's got a nice salad bar, boiled shrimp, the works. Just good country food. Spearsville is located right on the Arkansas border. It is housed in an old gas station, which tells you it is pretty casual. If you are in the area, stop by.

The second is a bakery that opened up a year ago in Monroe. It is called Daily Harvest. They mill their own wheat each day and specialize in all natural baked goods. They have breads, cookies, cakes, granola, lunchtime sandwich plates. It is quite good. They have these miniature loaves of jalapeno corn bread that is so moist and delicious. Really good chocolate coconut cookies, too.

I'd be very interested to know if any of you have ever been to either of these places. Hopefully you will be able to tell us of some of your N. Louisiana favorites.

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

Alright, I have debated with myself since seeing this post, because I'm fully aware of folks' attitudes toward truck stops, but the old Calhoun Truckstop is as close as you are ever gonna get to what "truckstop food" used to be. It is a holdout from the 60's, and it's one of the best joints alongside an Interstate to eat real working men and women's food. I think one cook has been there since it opened. It has no real comparison at many places anymore, but it is definitely NOT your Petros, Flying J's, etc. If you are hungry and going by Calhoun, try it out.

Alright, I have debated with myself since seeing this post, because I'm fully aware of folks' attitudes toward truck stops, but the old Calhoun Truckstop is as close as you are ever gonna get to what "truckstop food" used to be. It is a holdout from the 60's, and it's one of the best joints alongside an Interstate to eat real working men and women's food. I think one cook has been there since it opened. It has no real  comparison at many places anymore, but it is definitely NOT your Petros, Flying J's, etc. If you are hungry and going by Calhoun, try it out.

I actually now live in Calhoun. My husband says there isn't a truckstop in Calhoun anymore. When is the last time you were here?

-Becca

-Becca

Over seven years ago. That tears me up. :wacko: Ah well, one day it'll all be Walmart, McD's, and Flying J's.

Indeed. I believe they are putting a Huddle House up instead.

-Becca

-Becca

• 2 weeks later...

Just buy some of the McCains sausage there and cook it yourself. Dont forget the bacon with the rind on!

In Minden, Mom's cafe in the Stuckeys Truck stop has awesome hand battered chicken fried steak.

Ive said it before--In Dixie Inn, just a little west of Minden, the Crawfish Hole #2 has the best crawfish(when in season) in Louisiana! Being born and raised in south Louisiana I do have the right to say it. You can go for other things now like crawfish pies, fried seafood and a crawfish etouffee smothered stuffed potato.

I have recently been trying to find Sarah's in Ruston after seeing it on an old John Folse show. Let me know if you find it.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

Just buy some of the McCains sausage there and cook it yourself. Dont forget the bacon with the rind on!

In Minden, Mom's cafe in the Stuckeys Truck stop has awesome hand battered chicken fried steak.

Ive said it before--In Dixie Inn, just a little west of Minden, the Crawfish Hole #2 has the best crawfish(when in season) in Louisiana! Being born and raised in south Louisiana I do have the right to say it. You can go for other things now like crawfish pies, fried seafood and a crawfish etouffee smothered stuffed potato.

I have recently been trying to find Sarah's in Ruston after seeing it on an old John Folse show. Let me know if you find it.

[/quote

I pass McCains often. They have good stuff. As a matter of fact I called them yesterday to see if I could get some pork fat from them to render lard from. Tamales here I come!

-Becca

-Becca

I'll be at D'Arbonne for the weekend and will eat exactly where I always eat-at home. We have peas and butterbeans to put up on Saturday, several bushels and kinds of peas and a bushel of butterbeans. Lots of help, though they are quickly bored, we will get through it. Also have a bag full of sweet corn and some okra. I brought creole tomatoes from home. That's what I eat in North Louisiana. It's not exactly the restaurant center of the South, but there sure is lots of good food up there if you know where to look.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...