• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Baratin

Felice

I recently went to Le Baratin, a wonderful bistro/bar à vin in the 20th. It’s located on rue Jouye Rouve, a quiet street just off the busy blvd. de Belleville. It’s a perfect excuse to see a part of Paris that many visitors never get to.

The atmosphere was lively and fun, with a small bar when you walk in where I think you can just have a glass of wine without eating. I had heard that they get their vegetables from Paris’s most famous vegetable guy, Joel Thiebaut, so I started with white asparagus with salted butter and shaved parmesan, simply prepared but delicious. My main course was an echine de Porc roti (don’t know the translation of echine) au pimenton et achiote served with cabbage and leeks if I remember correctly, all very good. Dessert was an extremely rich chocolate cake. And of course lots of wine, which I unfortunately didn’t pay much attention to because we were with a friend who was in the wine business who did all of the ordering, but I can say that it was all quite good. They are well- known for their wines. This is definitely a place I would recommend.

Note--One friend with us was a vegetarian, but they happily prepared her a plate of incredible looking vegetables, so it was no problem.

Edit for typo

Edited by Felice (log)

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Felice you are such a fountainhead of practical, up to date information, living right there in Paris and having such good contacts in the food and wine business...please keep on keeping on.

I am not an anatomist but am pretty sure that "echine" is what we in the deep South know as backbone, commonly prepared with rice.

I recently went to Le Baratin, a wonderful  bistro/bar à vin in the 20th. 

white asparagus with salted butter and shaved parmesan, simply prepared but delicious.  My main course was an echine de Porc roti (don’t know the translation of echine) au pimenton et achiote served with cabbage and leeks if I remember correctly, all very good.  Dessert was an extremely rich chocolate cake.  This is definitely a place I would recommend.

Great review. Thanks.

You and Zurban both imply there are lots of food choices as opposed to limited charcuterie/cheese platters at some wine bars. Correct?

FrenchEntree translates echine as "shoulder" encompassing "the blade bone and spare ribs."

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

You and Zurban both imply there are lots of food choices as opposed to limited charcuterie/cheese platters at some wine bars.  Correct?

FrenchEntree translates echine as "shoulder" encompassing "the blade bone and spare ribs."

Merci for all of the translations, that's exactly what it was.

And yes, it's definitely much more than a cheese and charcuterie kind of place. It's more of a bistro really, but I think you can also come in during off-hours and just have a glass of wine. I could be wrong though.

The night I was there they were also serving: (scribbled on scraps of paper, so please forgive any mistakes)

Tartare de lieu jaune

Bouillon de crevettes avec petit pois

Compote de poivrons et aubergines

Saute de veau au citron et courgette

Escabeche de caille au fenouil

pave de cabillaud poele avec pomme de terre puree

Ananas confit

crumble de pommes et framboise

soupe de cerise

Edited by Felice (log)

• 9 months later...

Thank you for the review Felice.. I was just informed to go here last night by the people at Bistral.. They highly recommended the place.. The chef last night was saying this was his favorite restaurant in Paris.. I called today and received some message I dont understand.. I think they are saying they will re-open on Monday... Has anyone been here recently..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Thank you for the review Felice.. I was just informed to go here last night by the people at Bistral.. They highly recommended the place.. The chef last night was saying this was his favorite restaurant in Paris.. I called today and received some message I dont understand.. I think they are saying they will re-open on Monday... Has anyone been here recently..

Yes, I went just a bit back. Great. My review is here.

Daniel, take caution this weekend; the city is empty til Tuesday d/t Easter. Le Baratin is normally open Tuesday lunch thru Saturday dinner except Saturday lunch.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I called today and received some message I dont understand.. I think they are saying they will re-open on Monday... Has anyone been here recently..

Nope, I just called and their machine says they are open Tue-Sat, but closed Saturday lunch. Then they tell you to call back a bit later because they don't take reservations on the answering machine. So, call back a little later. You might luck out with the holidays.

Daniel, you might also like Chapeau Melon, which may even meet your description of a "hidden place". I wrote up a review somewhere.

And I'm sure you would love the Verre Volé.

Wow.. thank you both for your really quick help.. And Felice that was so nice of you to call for us.. We are checking the info out on Chapeau Melon right now...

You're welcome :smile:

Here's the thread about the Chapeau Melon

Chapeau Melon

I recently went to Le Baratin, a wonderful  bistro/bar à vin in the 20th.  It’s located on rue Jouye Rouve, a quiet street just off the busy blvd. de Belleville.  It’s a perfect excuse to see a part of Paris that many visitors never get to. 

The atmosphere was lively and fun, with a small bar when you walk in where I think you can just have a glass of wine without eating.  I had heard that they get their vegetables from Paris’s most famous vegetable guy, Joel Thiebaut, so I started with white asparagus with salted butter and shaved parmesan, simply prepared but delicious.   My main course was an echine de Porc roti (don’t know the translation of echine) au pimenton et achiote served with cabbage and leeks if I remember correctly, all very good.  Dessert was an extremely rich chocolate cake.  And of course lots of wine, which I unfortunately didn’t pay much attention to because we were with a friend who was in the wine business who did all of the ordering, but I can say that it was all quite good.   They are well- known for their wines.  This is definitely a place I would recommend.

Note--One friend with us was a vegetarian, but they happily prepared her a plate of incredible looking vegetables, so it was no problem.

Edit for typo

Just came back from a wonderful dinner this evening.. Really it was one of the best dinners of my trip.. Before I go into my full review I wanted to just say that they have ended their relationship with Joel Thiebaut, and tonights dinner was not so vegetable centered.. They have as one of there chefs a man from Sri Lanka so have added some "exotic" ingrediants.. Basmati rice with a braised veal neck and shoulder dish... Some serano peppers, lemon grass, ginger, rice vinegar, and almond mixed in a rare cooked roast beef "tartare" dish.. Also noticed there were no pork dishes, perhaps another change brought on by one of the new cooks..

What a fabulous dinner.. Close to a few absinthe bars... :wacko:

Edited by Daniel (log)