• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spanish White Wine

Chef Metcalf

I had the menu planned, than realized that one of the guests was allergic to seafood so I've re-hashed the whole thing at one in the morning to a Spanish tapa's menu (as we have Spain on the brain) sort of.

Still one seafood tapa on the menu, but he can avoid that one.

All the white wine drinkers in the group prefer "oaky chardonnays".

Any rec's (and no razzing about the oaky chardonnay drinkers :shock: ) for Spanish whites around the $15.00-20.00 dollar range?

I've never really drank that many Spanish whites (not my cup of tea), so I have no clue.

I'd appreciate any input on this.

Here's the menu, such as it is. Best I can do late night for a party tomorrow, starting at 4 or so.

-Roasted Tomatoes with Thyme & Goat's Cheese on Puff Pastry

-Lemon/rosemary/roasted garlic with sun-dried olive marinated BBQ'd chicken skewers (marinated, BBQ'd, cooled and then marinated in fresh marinade till serving time, to be flashed before serving, or maybe I will serve them cold depending on the weather and the time line)

-Prawn Skewers done in the same way as above with a different marinade...any Spanish type ideas are welcome.

-Roasted Asparagus wrapped with Serrano Ham

-Portobello and Crimini Mushroom Pizza with Porcini Powder and some sort of cheese that I can't remember, before I froze it two weeks ago....maybe pecorino?

Blueberry Limoncello Tiramisu made of course with home-made, egullet approved, Limoncello

For the red I'm going to go with Las Rocas, Garnacha, 2003 (good cheap plonk and if it's good enough for Parker, it's good enough for the family)! :raz:

My family wouldn't know the difference however, except if no oak was involved in their whites.

cm

cm,

You should be able to buy almost any commercially available Spanish white wine in that price range.

Suggestions include Albarino, Rueda, Godello and Verdejo. The first two varieties should be easy to find, the last two will likely require a search. Buy the current vintage as these are fresh and, usually, best consumed young.

BTW, Cava is a sparkling wine from Spain and can also be found in that price range - look for the brut versions.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Compliments on the menu,

-Roasted Tomatoes with Thyme & Goat's Cheese on Puff Pastry

A well chilled Rosado of a dry charactereither 2003or 2004 preferablty Grenache based.

-Lemon/rosemary/roasted garlic with sun-dried olive marinated BBQ'd chicken skewers (marinated, BBQ'd, cooled and then marinated in fresh marinade till serving time, to be flashed before serving, or maybe I will serve them cold depending on the weather and the time line)

A nice dry Albarino from Navarra one or two years old like Lagar dl Cervaro

-Prawn Skewers done in the same way as above with a different marinade...

Rueda whites such as the Marqiis de Riscal

-Roasted Asparagus wrapped with Serrano Ham

Try the reds from Jumilla such as the Senorio del Condestable Reserva 1998/1999

-Portobello and Crimini Mushroom Pizza with Porcini Powder and some sort of cheese that I can't remember, before I froze it two weeks ago....maybe pecorino?

The Gaudium from Marques de Caceres 1994 could be a great match [check the price on this one]. Selection Especial Muga 1996 might be a slightly cheaper substitute.

Blueberry Limoncello Tiramisu made of course with home-made, egullet approved, Limoncello

Can't beat the egullet choice can we now.

Enjoy.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

cm,

You should be able to buy almost any commercially available Spanish white wine in that price range.

Suggestions include Albarino, Rueda, Godello and Verdejo. The first two varieties should be easy to find, the last two will likely require a search. Buy the current vintage as these are fresh and, usually, best consumed young.

BTW, Cava is a sparkling wine from Spain and can also be found in that price range - look for the brut versions.

Best, Jim

Rueda is a place, not a varietal. They generally consist of wines made with verdejo and sauvignon blanc. They can be stunning food wines and shouldbe available in your price range.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

On wine: get some Sherry, Fino or Manzanilla. Get the most recent bottle you can get. Get some albariño wine which hasn't been aged in oak but in steel deposits. Pazo de Señorans Selección de Añada is wonderful.

On the marinade: what about some romesco sauce?

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Too little, too late. There's a well respected Rueda that's aged in wood -- Belondrade y Lurton. I believe it's 100% verdejo. It's probably well above that budget and not at all to my taste anyway. The Gazela, I believe is a Portuguese wine that's very low in alcohol, as well as taste, but it's really not bad on a hot day, especially when you consider the price.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Rueda is a place, not a varietal. They generally consist of wines made with verdejo and sauvignon blanc. They can be stunning food wines and shouldbe available in your price range.

i've been drinking a bunch of these recently, and have been really enjoying them. las brisas, hermanos lurton, etc. they are indeed GREAT food wines, and the price is definitely right.