• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Breakfasts

Mooshmouse

I know that there's already a thread on Breakfast Downtown; however, I'd like to broaden the scope of this question to include restaurants outside of the downtown core. What are your preferred venues for morning fare?

Granted, this question can be answered on a number of different levels. Best place for muffins or cinnamon buns and coffee, best place for homestyle bacon and eggs or food of that ilk, best chi-chi gourmet breakfast... I'd like you to proffer them all.

This question was prompted by the Mouse family's brunch today at Paul's Place on Granville Street. Having heard rave reviews about their omelettes, we decided to give them a try. End result? Meh. Okay, but certainly not great. Ian and I each had omelettes filled with smoked salmon, asparagus, brie and mushrooms. They seemed to lack a certain lightness of being; instead, they were greasy with the eggs being flat instead of light and fluffy. The pancake that came as part of Noah's breakfast was about the same consistency as the eggs: greasy and flat.

I much prefer the omelettes served by Francois Godbout and crew at Seb's Market Cafe as sampled during breakfast on Friday with Vancouver Lee and Peppermint Tea. Imaginative fillings, simple and not overwrought. My favourite is the shiitake mushroom and roasted garlic omelette, followed closely by the strawberry and camembert cheese; next on my list to try is the bacon and caramelized apple. Ian's dish of choice is usually their banana-bread french toast, and Noah and I especially love their flavourful turkey sausages. Omelettes and most breakfasts are served with homestyle potatoes, toast made from house-baked bread, house-made preserves and a rather generous helping of fruit. Friday's fruit selection included starfruit, canteloupe, dragon fruit and strawberries.

Good old-fashioned grease fest? The Tomahawk Restaurant in North Van. Yukon-style bacon. Need I say more?

Haven't had a cinnamon bun in a long time, but I do love the peach crumble and blueberry cream cheese muffins at Prado.

Chi-chi breakfast? Alder-smoked Salmon Benedict at Bacchus, seated in club chairs by the fireplace.

Now, let's hear your picks. I'm always up for sampling a new breakfast place.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I have a tradition: any time I'm "fortunate" enough to work a Saturday in the showroom, I treat myself to breakfast beforehand. As of late, breakfasts have meandred between Helen's Grill (Main & 25th) and Berts (Main and 13th). Both good, basic, cheap (hold the chearful ... Helen's not the smiling kind).

This week "J" and I had to do an impromptu change of morning plans as the water was shut of on our street (water main had burst at 1:30am, flooding 2 houses ... thankfully not ours). We dashed down to use the shower facilities at her office, then hopped over to Café Artigiano on Hastings for brekkie. "J" had a muffin and a latté, while I indulged in a delicious omlette of goat cheese and asparagus, accompanied by some perfectly done home fries and a grape or two. This is the 3rd or 4th visit I've made for breakfast ... certainly won't be the last.

A.

We make pancakes, 7 days a week, for the past four years in our house. If we go out for breakfast, it is to the White Spot for, you guessed it, Pancake Pirate Pak.

The upside is now the kid can make his own pancake mix, he is just not allowed to cook it himself yet. He is only four( nearly five ! ).

I think I am in a breakfast rut. :wacko:

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Best spot in South Surrey / White Rock is, without a doubt, Poultry in Motion, on Marine Drive in White Rock. Unlike most of the other notable restaurants on Marine Drive, which are on the West Beach, Poultry in Motion is on the Each Beach. It's currently undergoing a renovation, should probably reopen soon.

Poultry in Motion is renowned for it's breakfasts, which makes it a busy spot on Saturdays/Sundays when we are likely to go. The breakfasts are pretty traditional - eggs, omelettes, etc., but they do it right. In particular I love their potatoes, which are not "french fries in a different shape" (which I freakin' hate!!), but are new potatoes, pan fried with some onions and peppers. The toast is big honkin' thick slices. The decor is quite casual, like cottage furniture. Coffee is good, and is self-serve. Great place to stop in for a relaxed breakfast, followed by a walk along the beach.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Last week I had the omelette at Aphrodite on 3598 West 4th Ave Vancouver. Everything is organic and the majority of their organic seasonal produce is from their 50-acre organic farm east of Fort Langley. The eggs were fluffy and mixed with oyster, Portobello and cremini mushrooms and aged chedder. This was served with 4 thick slabs of multigrain toast made from their own baked bread -- perfect crunch and flavor. This was also served with an ample amount of seasoned organic yukon gold hash browns, the sweetest I've ever tasted. My finicky friend gave this place the thumbs up.

Atmosphere is great, very relaxed Birkenstock kind of crowd in a cottage-like interior.

My initial reason for going was for their pies which I had after breakfast. The apple pie had a gooey viscosity which I didn't like. Nor did I like their choice of apples. I think it may have been too much thickener and the apples were too tart for my taste. But I would go back to try their other pies and desserts as the berries are from their farm as well.

Their brunch is served from 11am - 4pm.

The dinner menu looks good, too.

I've tried really hard to like Seb's but on each of the three times I've been something has gone horribly wrong in the kitchen.

I still love Cafe Zen. Banana buckwheat pancakes and a chat with June. I wake up obscenely early, so I never have to wait in line for a table.

In my local stomping grounds -- Brioche on Cordova makes a very nice breakfast - eggs and pastries. And the all important decent cup of coffee.

And for hungover mornings when only grease will do - The Bavarian on Carrall makes a mean $3.75 two egg breakfast complete with bacon, toast, and hashbrowns. If things are really desperate the breakfast bagle with processed american cheese will mask any multitude of night before sins.

ok, we've got a list of cool spots there. Where do you go for a tasty quality breakfast? Is there a place in the city that makes everythng from scratch (jams, sausages, hot choc, bread, pastries...)?

Personnally, i like Aphrodites's cafe for brunch.

Or i pop by Lebeau or Petite france for the solids and then hop to the Elysean Room for the liquids...

Has anyone tried the Alibi room's brunch menu?

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/

Or i pop by Lebeau or Petite france for the solids and then hop to the Elysean Room for the liquids...

Oh yeah! I forgot about my blog breakfast at The Elyssian! Capuccino and a wedge of chocolate cake! Perfection :biggrin:

A.

Has anyone tried the Alibi room's brunch menu?

Yeah I went a while ago (I mean something like 9 months ago) - and it was dissapointing. I wanted to support a place that is making a go of a tough locale - but the food was not there. Service was good - but I don't think they get enough turnover to keep the brunch stuff fresh and hot.

The most egregious fruit salad ever. If you can't get good ripe fruit - please take it off your menu.

Well, here on the North Shore it really comes down to two places: the Tomahawk for your traditional big carbo, major fat pig out; and Cindy's, in Ambleside, for something equally big but less traditional. Both are worth the drive.

Edited by Paul B (log)

Paul B

So I clicked on Seb's website to find out where they are located- not an easy task. I finally got the address by reading one of the reviews. Seems simple - tell prospective customers where they can find you. But maybe not that simple.

That's because I inadvertently linked you directly to the Seb's submenu of page links. The actual home page with address and phone number information for both Seb's Market Cafe and Hot Stuff Catering is linked here.

Apologies for any confusion.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

After I posted a query about Westside/downtown brunch spots, (would indicate the thread HERE but that is beyond my technological savvy - open to an egullet website skills tutorial :laugh: ) we were referred to Adesso at Yew and 1st. We've been back three times. Their smoked salmon eggs benny is a delight - fresh smoked salmon slices, nicely crisped muffin, tangy, lemony hollandaise, nice pan-fried potatoes. I'm too busy licking the hollandaise off my plate to ask hubby if he likes his omelettes, but since he lets me drag him back there they must be good. And the staff greeted us very graciously despite us arriving in sweatpants the first time!

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine