• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gastric Bypass Surgery and Recovery

Fist,

Sorry to be so late, but I missed this thread when you first started it. I am so very sorry to read of what a difficult time your wife (and you) have been going through over the last months. I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

Patti

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I too hope your wife can get better. Just one year ago I remember talking with my dear sister Chris as she prepared for her surgery. She was so excited about the new life they had promised to her. She had bought all the medicine, all the protein shakes gone to all the classes, met people on a web site. Some of my familywas not happy with her for going forward with the surgery. I supported her because I knew how much it meant to her.

She had the surgery on Oct 4 and died in the hospital two days later for reasons still not clear to me. The surgeon never once in the past year had the decency to talk to me, my brothers and sister and most heartbreakingly, my mother, who has never gotten over losing Chris.

I would not advise against it if you feel it is right for you. Just please be careful and have the procedure done at a large teaching hospital were you will receive good care

• 1 month later...

Here's another update -

We're still struggling. She is back in the hospital right now (that makes 5 times in 4 months) for pneumonia/pleurisy. Really painful. So far the hospital stays have been for the initial problems, infection of the central line IV, placement of a feeding tube into the stomach (removed 2 weeks later because it didn't work), pneumonia #1, and now pneumonia #2.

Strengthwise, she's doing OK, considering she's been knocked down with pneumonia a couple of times in the last month. Right now she's in extreme pain, so about all they can do is give her dilaudid and let her sleep until the inflamation has gotten better. It will be looked over again in a few days.

It's still an uphill battle. We were hoping to get back to Louisiana for Thanksgiving, but that's pretty much out the window now. We'll start looking at Christmas.

Those prayers and good thoughts are still useful...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Those prayers and good thoughts are still useful...

and they are as deeply heartfelt today as they were when first extended to you both. Please know that you are in our thoughts and we appreciate your having taken the time, far too precious now, to keep us informed of your wife's progress.

Much more importantly, you may have served as a warning to proceed with this type of surgery much more cautiously and slowly... they might even look at more options before getting into this type of surgery ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

^ Best wishes to you both! I'm a Type I diabetic so neuropathy is a REAL worry of mine. Good vibes for you both.

The only way for me to avoid the same fate is to keep my sugars in check and of course diet and exercise.

I do the latter a lot more than the former but it's a start :rolleyes:

Edited by fud (log)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

• 1 month later...

It's all about portion control, my friend.

Wishing you good luck with the new regimen... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

case in point: Chef David Fouts and one of my best friends is a chef and has had his lapband since last May .. lost 65 pounds .. just tastes and nibbles but still loves food! :wink:

The change the surgery has made in his life is "amazing," Fouts said, adding that he soon discovered bariatric surgery would also have a profound effect on his professional life.  A 1994 graduate of the Florida Culinary Institute, Fouts has worked as a chef at The Breakers, the former Omni Hotel...  He helped write the recently released Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies and is the exclusive chef for WLS Lifestyles magazine. He also writes for the Bariatric Times and is working on another cookbook that is scheduled for publication several months from now.

Eat less, write more! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

actually it's not just about portion control. This surgery drastically changes your body. You need to talk with your doctors as well as with others who've survived the surgery, but you'll have to be very careful about what you consume (especially for the first several months) your body will have a much harder time dealing with meat proteins now, and there are various other things you need to work around as well. I don't remember what all the details are. A friend had the surgery about 3 years ago...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

actually it's not just about portion control. This surgery drastically changes your body. You need to talk with your doctors as well as with others who've survived the surgery, but you'll have to be very careful about what you consume (especially for the first several months) your body will have a much harder time dealing with meat proteins now, and there are various other things you need to work around as well. I don't remember what all the details are. A friend had the surgery about 3 years ago...

What Eden said. I learned so much about this procedure after my sister Chris had it. For me I regret not learning more in advance. She died two days after the operation. I wish you all the best, however, i have now heard such horror stories from folks who have had gastric bypass surgery, that I now believe it ought be stopped until further studies are done as to the long term efects. I know you will loose weight. I hope all else is well

My daughter had gastric bypass 2 years ago and lost over 100 lbs. Her life has changed drastically in that she has much more energy and has become more out going. She was clinically depressed and is now much better.

I was against the operation but it was a good choice for her. I know several people who have had very bad results.

I know Chefreit to be a smart enough guy to have totally researched this before opting for this procedure. I certainly didn't mean to minimize the seriousness of his surgery. But clearly one of the things that an "outsider" like myself that has neither had the surgery herself or doesn't know anyone personally that has knows, is that you can only eat tiny amounts of food that will fit in your newly sized stomach. That's all I meant. Clearly following doctor's orders goes without saying.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I know Chefreit to be a smart enough guy to have totally researched this before opting for this procedure. I certainly didn't mean to minimize the seriousness of his surgery. But clearly one of the things that an "outsider" like myself that has neither had the surgery herself or doesn't know anyone personally that has knows, is that you can only eat tiny amounts of food that will fit in your newly sized stomach. That's all I meant. Clearly following doctor's orders goes without saying.

I did about a years worth of research and support groups. :wacko:

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

I had the surgery in August of 2003 and my daughter had it in Spring of 2004. I have lost 100 lbs. and she has lost 150 lbs. I have been surprised at what I can and cannot eat. I was worried about cheese, one of my favorite foods and I can eat any kind of cheese that exists. I still have problems with steak - one bite is enough for me, more makes me sick. I cannot eat even one bite of rice. Go slowly on new foods. If you have a child, feed yourself the way you started your baby on solids - a bite of a 'new' item until you see how you react. If you have a spouse/partner watch out for getting them to finish up what you can't - my poor husband has gained a LOT of weight eating meals that we can't finish :rolleyes: ! In restaurants, I generally order an appetizer - the higher end restaurants work better for this.

I am aware of the problems that have occured with this surgery and know that it is a last resort, but it is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I was a diabetic, on blood sugar meds, blood pressure meds, colesterol meds, etc. - I am now off ALL my meds (except for Previcid, which I will be on for the forseeable future) and my last blood tests indicated everything in the normal range. My daughter and I were 370 lbs. and 277 lbs. respectively and were well on our way to killing ourselves with food and associated health factors.

Please email me if you have any other questions that you would like to ask.

• Like 1

I'm very curious about the later effects of this procedure, would a full grown man, after reaching an ideal weight, have difficulty maintaining that weight and proper nutrition on such a limited caloric intake? I'm sure this must become a problem for some patients, but is it prevalent?

• 1 month later...