• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bayona

Jason Perlow

Bayona

430 Dauphine Street, New Orleans

504 525 4455

http://www.bayona.com

While Bayona may be nestled in a 200 year old cottage smack in the middle of the French Quarter, it might as well be right in the middle of New York City -- this is restaurant cuisine at its very best.

Although Bayona's food does not necessarily represent typical New Orleans or Louisiana cuisine, which is something a lot of visitors to the city may be looking for, I would definitely return to Bayona again and again -- after a week of hardcore Creole and Cajun food, Susan Spicer's mediterranean and southwest flavors are a very welcome relief and were a great topping to a fantastic vacation in one of the best restaurant towns in the US.

gallery_2_0_72325.jpg

gallery_2_0_81790.jpg

gallery_2_0_17641.jpg

gallery_2_0_65872.jpg

gallery_2_0_102571.jpg

Seared Sea scallop with Poblano Cornbread and Tomatillo Salsa (special)

gallery_2_0_24930.jpg

A delicious bread basket of brioche, sourdough and french bread

gallery_2_0_111803.jpg

Crispy Smoked Quail Salad with Bourbon Molasses Vinaigrette

gallery_2_0_95617.jpg

Buttermilk Fried Rabbit Leg and Tenderloin with Creole Mustard Tasso Sauce and Stoneground Grits (special)

gallery_2_0_63854.jpg

Double-cut Niman Ranch Pork Chop with cheddar Spoonbread

gallery_2_0_46399.jpg

Lemon Chiffon Pie with Gingersnap Crust and Lime Gelato

gallery_2_0_99281.jpg

El Rey Chocolate Mousses with Dulce de Leche and Warm Cinnamon Churros

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

It has been ten years since my last trip to New Orleans and my first trip to Bayona. It was outstanding then. I'm glad to hear that it is still performing exceptionally well. Can you describe what you had? It does not appear to match what I can read from the menu.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Anyone interested in trying nontypical New Orleans food should also visit Marisol -- much better and more interesting than Bayona, in my opinion, though it doesn't get nearly as much attention. (I ate at Bayona probably 12 to 15 times over the course of a decade trying to see what people cherished so much about it, and finally decided it just wasn't for me.)

Another good restaurant that doesn't fit the Creole template is the new-ish Addis at the corner of Magazine and Milan Streets. N.O. was without Ethiopian food for a couple of years after Red Sea closed its doors, but proprietress Hirut Yibsa is now serving a variety of dishes including the best kitfo I've ever had (and I eat kitfo at every conceivable opportunity).

Can you describe what you had?

I've added captions to Jason's food pics, above.

Thanks, That must have been a nice list of specials. The crispy quail looks particularly interesting. I was guessing they were fried oysters.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 5 months later...

Bayona has now reopened for lunch and dinner service.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Bayona IS NewOrleans as far asI'm concerned. Susan has always been on the forefront of New Orleans cooking. Just note all of the successfull cooks to come out of her kitchen. She's good people too. I consider her one of the pillars of that city's eating establishment.

I'm going with some folks on Thursday night.

I have done a crazy amount of fine dining in the last month. I am going to need to hire a trainer and go on a diet before this is all over with. It's so ugly here that there is just something so nice about sitting down to a well served meal in a nice place.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 3 months later...
Bayona IS NewOrleans as far asI'm concerned. Susan has always been on the forefront of New Orleans cooking. Just note all of the successfull cooks to come out of her kitchen. She's good people too. I consider her  one of the pillars of that city's eating establishment.

I agree. Susan was very kind to me when I was doing my book. And she was pleased I included two of her former sous chefs who now have their own places - Donald Link of Herbsaint and John Harris of Lilette.

Creole Nouvelle