• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deanies

Jason Perlow

NOTE: This topic is part of the Eating New Orleans series.

Deanies in Bucktown

1713 Lake Avenue

Metairie, Louisiana 70005

Telephone: (504) 831-4141

In my opinion, a visit to New Orleans is not complete without a visit to Deanie's for some fried seafood lovin'.

gallery_2_0_54062.jpg

The busy dining room

gallery_2_0_62288.jpg

Barbecue Shrimp. As you can see, they are served with the heads on. I personally think Deanie's does one of the best renditions of this dish in the city, despite the fact that Mr. B's and Pascal's Manale get top billing.

gallery_2_0_142516.jpg

That's a big'un

gallery_2_0_43185.jpg

House salad with artichoke dressing

gallery_2_0_10271.jpg

Cup of Gumbo

gallery_2_0_98290.jpg

Salted boiled potatoes, put on the table instead of bread. Excellent for mopping barbecue shrimp sauce.

gallery_2_0_4645.jpg

Half Seafood Platter, we never had enough people with us to order a whole!

They also have a location in the French Quarter at 841 Iberville Street, (504) 581-1316, if you don't have a car and are staying down there. It's a prettier dining room, but populated strictly by tourists.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 months later...

I use to live out on Lake ave near Deanies and all those great seafood places....was that area washed away? and what about Foodies and that great place next to it...that grocery store... i can't remember the name but I use shop there 5 times a week. They made the best stuffed artichokes. Their hot food take out in the back of the store was fabulous !!!!

If anyone has any information on this i would love to know.

This is all so so sad.

As I understand, the restaurant is completely destroyed, as it was near the levee that broke.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

and just a bit more on what's happening in New Orleans ...

The New Orleans Museum of Art survived the storm for the most part, as did the legendary jazz institution Preservation Hall and the club Tipitina's. And a spokesman for JazzFest says -- even though there's been some flooding on the festival grounds -- the annual event will be back.
from NPR

The JazzFest always had some great New Orleans food for the participants every year ...

how about this from the Tennessean?

Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans?It means watching Randy Newman sing Louisiana 1927 in the middle of a steamy jazz festival crowd. It's the rain suddenly coming in sheets just as he reaches the chorus: "Louisiana, Louisiana, they're trying to wash us away." It's an Easter Day parade in the Quarter, complete with pastel-colored beads, horseback-riding debutantes in hoop skirts, and a float with Chris Owens' strippers — clothed, for once.  It's briny oysters on the half shell, the Central Grocery and the explosion of color in the French Market.  It's cocktails beside the giant white columns of a St. Charles Avenue front porch before dinner at the Upperline.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

As I understand, the restaurant is completely destroyed, as it was near the levee that broke.

Thanks Jason... I used to buy their BBQ shrimp sauce by the tub and make my own at home...that way there was no end to the quanity i could have and as long as i had some fresh shrimp i could feast on it any hour of the day or night.

When i lived on that street for the time i did i never ate better. I was face down in lovely fresh seafood 5 days a week since it was just a short walk up the road.

I can't believe it's all gone. new orleans was my home for quite a number of years and when i worked in local media down there we all use to joke that if we ever moved away from the city we would all starve. everytime i would return for a visit i would realize how true that was. only when i had a mouthful of some local creation did it hit home to me that i WAS starved.

In all possible was.....losing the this city is an unspeakable horror.

I wouldn't count Deanie's out quite yet. It has been destroyed before. Does anyone know when it first opened? Deanie's is where my kids always head when they are visiting and need a spicy crawfish fix. That is where my daughter became the family champion crawfish tail pincher. She can actually peel crawfish fast enough to get something to eat. We think she sweet-talked one of the waiters into a coaching session. We have an interest in keeping up with what they are going to do.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 7 months later...

Deanie's update:

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2006/04...od-restaurants/

French Quarter location is still closed.