• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ Farmers Markets 2005

I think the appletree market's produce has only really gotten better since when it first opened. The traffic's definitely picked up some. They're prices are still the best in the area (it's around the corner from my mom's, so I'll often make the drive for the dual produce/parental visit).

That makes two of us!  In the off season I go to the Appletree Farmers Market (indoors) at the top of Kinderkamack Road in Montvale.  They sometimes have some good fruit and vegetable bargains as well as a small fresh salad bar and small deli/sushi bar in the back of the store and a florist with cut flowers in the front.

Best place for produce in the winter IMHO is Tenafly Farm, between Highwood and Piermont Rd. New owners last year, great prices, fresh stuff.

Nyack Farmers Market is among the first to open, last week of April, Thursday mornings. Good market.

"A little late in replying but I go to the Trenton Farmers market regularly. In season they can't be beat for tomatos, lima beans, brussel sprouts and squash.

Beside that, the Polish specialty meat shop has the absolute best double smoked garlic kielbasa on the planet. Down the aisle a bit is a little specialty Italian that has Zabar's hearth baked breads and nice imported risotto, great stuff."

Thanks, Jeff L, the scoop on the kielbasa was welcome news, indeed!

"A little late in replying but I go to the Trenton Farmers market regularly. In season they can't be beat for tomatos, lima beans, brussel sprouts and squash.

Beside that, the Polish specialty meat shop has the absolute best double smoked garlic kielbasa on the planet. Down the aisle a bit is a little specialty Italian that has Zabar's hearth baked breads and nice imported risotto, great stuff."

Thanks, Jeff L, the scoop on the kielbasa was welcome news, indeed!

Be sure to get there early or the line at the Polish stand can take forever

Who has smoked ribs, the girls behind the counter? What girls are your husband referring to, I have always been waited on by guys and less than memorable girls. But to be clear, that's not why I go there.

My smoked ribs taste better from my smokewr in the backyard frankly than theirs do so I don't buy them there.